2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

Is this new pit stop clarification going to hurt Merc?

I read a story the other day that Marko was complaining that Merc were trying to get the FIA to slow RB down in pit stops

Perhaps this is it

El Scorchio

TimW wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 19:36
They could have solved this simply with a big fine for an unsafe release. Under the budget cap all teams are hit by fines, also the 'rich' ones.
Or take away a few percent of wind tunnel/development time? I agree if the punishment is strict enough then there will be no unsafe releases. (Either a wheel not on, OR into the path of another car)

As things stand, with penalties only of 5-10 seconds, it's entirely worth a team releasing a car into the path of another one under some circumstances and just taking the hit- particularly at places where overtaking is difficult.

As for affecting various teams' speed at the moment, surely if they all go through the same procedure, just faster or slower, it'll add a similar amount on to everyone's time and the fastest team will still be the fastest by roughly the same margin?

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 19:58
Sieper wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 19:16
Like I said, another big win at the negotiating table. It is 2-0? What will be the next win. Some teams are quite good at this, you’ve gotta hand it to them. For years all was fine but now there is an actual title battle several things are being “ruled out”.
I think you're getting a little overly worked up about this, because the reaction time constraints, are pretty much at the limit of what a human is capable of.

For example if memory serves a reaction faster than 0.1 seconds, is an automatic false start and international track events.

So setting a limit of 0.15 seconds for a pit crew member that's got a lot more going on around them than a sprinter at a start of a race.
Hopefully I am. To me it feels like we can’t reach 1.88 so let’s take it away from teams who can (based on years of practicing) via the green table.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:21

Hopefully I am. To me it feels like we can’t reach 1.88 so let’s take it away from teams who can (based on years of practicing) via the green table.
Ok, I think you are looking at this to defensiverly as a RBR fan. Imo, if anything its about teams further down the grid, and preventing what Haas did in baku (se the video I posted earlier.)
197 104 103 7

Sieper

Let’s see how it works out. Nothing that can be done anymore. I admired their pitstops and have seen many team vids showing them practicing. When it goes perfect (1.88) it is also beautiful to see.

Capharol
Capharol

dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:25
Sieper wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:21

Ok, I think you are looking at this to defensiverly as a RBR fan. Imo, if anything its about teams further down the grid, and preventing what Haas did in baku (se the video I posted earlier.)
thank you, exactly my thoughts, i am a fan of RBR but first of all i am a fan of F1 and such "conspiracy" reactions are simply overreacting, because if the crew can do a stop in 2.5s consistentaly they are well within the limits even if they do a 2.1s at RBR it is still within the limits of the TD

jumpingfish

Why didn't this technical directive appear back in 2018 when both Haas cars DNF in Australia due to the wheels?

Vaexa
Vaexa

jumpingfish wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 21:37
Why didn't this technical directive appear back in 2018 when both Haas cars DNF in Australia due to the wheels?
Because Mercedes weren't complaining about it then.

dans79

jumpingfish wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 21:37
It would be hard to dig up statistics, but I would bet it's because pitstop related incidents have increased to a point that the FIA sees it as a problem.
197 104 103 7

RZS10

Won't it just make the pit stops slower in general?
Some article claimed it would just add a minimum time between the wheelgun being done and the mechanic pressing the button to confirm he's done, and then when everything is ready there's a slight delay until the lights go green.
So if you had faster stops and better procedures before this will add 0.15s to changing the wheel and 0.2s to your already fast stop, if you have a slower stop it will still add the same amount of time so the overall stop will still take longer, or am i completely mistaken?
Unless the differences in pit stops were just down to mechanics pre-empting their wheel guns being done (risky but legal) or some trickery with sensors or further automation of the 'ok' signal (would that be legal?) ...

What i wonder is though: why only from Hungary? It's the second race of a triple header, then two weeks until Silverstone, then another two.

Does this require more than just some simple changes to a few lines of code?

Datco
Datco

the EDGE wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:02

I read a story the other day that Marko was complaining that Merc were trying to get the FIA to slow RB down in pit stops

Perhaps this is it
Yes there is such a story
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... equipment/

It's amazing how the FIA jump when merc complains but still to say anything about the front wing.

dans79

RZS10 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 22:36
Won't it just make the pit stops slower in general?
It depends.

If a wheel gunner is actually waiting for the nut to stop spinning before they trigger they are good to go, then no. The average human's reaction time to a visual stimulus is 0.25s, while the FIA is setting the limit to 0.15s.

If the gunner is anticipating when the nut will stop spinning and thus preemptively triggering good to go then they might be to fast, but it will depend on the individual gunners reaction time.

The 0.2s hold before giving the driver the green light, is probably for the front jack mans safety imo. over the last few years we have seen the jack or the jack man himself get clipped because they couldn't get out of the way fast enough.

RZS10 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 22:36
What i wonder is though: why only from Hungary? It's the second race of a triple header, then two weeks until Silverstone, then another two.

Does this require more than just some simple changes to a few lines of code?
Probably some people need to train themselves to not anticipate the completion of a step.
197 104 103 7

dans79

For those want to test reaction time here is a website i know of.

https://humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

keep in mind you need to subtract the refresh rate and response time of your monitor, as well as the latency of your mouse to get the most accurate answer.
197 104 103 7

El Scorchio

Datco wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 22:47
the EDGE wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:02

Perhaps this is it
Yes there is such a story
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... equipment/

It's amazing how the FIA jump when merc complains but still to say anything about the front wing.
Took them a year to look into rear wings, didn’t it?

Juzh

Its just another obvious and pathetic attempt by mercedes to limit the damage on their on average worse pit stop performance compared to red bull. This is how mercedes' "we want competition" attitude looks like in practice. I'd say they're probably the biggest hypocrites in the whole f1 circus, even Ferrari don't hold a candle to them in this area. First its flexi wings, then it's pit equipment, then it's media insinuations of "engine upgrade" mid season when it's obviously not possible with frozen specs. Seriously, wtf was that all about, are they implying FIA is incapable of spotting subtle engine upgrades? Are they talking from experience? At least be more subtle about it.
I wonder what comes next..