2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Shrieker wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:07
Jolle wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 18:41
Looks more like someone was more busy with the guy right in front of him then preparing for a lap.
To play the devil's advocate a little bit, maybe he thought Lewis was going too slow and wanted to pass him, but the former wasn't letting him thru.

OTOH tho, looking at Bottas, it wasn't as if Lewis had a lot of gap to play with, if at all.
And Bottas had no room because of Ocon. But Hamilton must have been smiling seeing that RedBull right on his tail.

Tvetovnato

sosic2121 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:11
nimoraca wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 18:04
I personally had no problem with Hamilton pacing himself on the out lap and creating some distance from Bot. He did however decide to finish that last lap even though he clearly gave up on it (he was 2 seconds down) probably wanting to still give Verstappen some dirty air at that last corner. He could have just pitted. Again nothing against the rules but he was definitely playing some mind games.
He was definitely trying to impeed anyway he could. Very very dirty by him.
But I expected nothing less from a person that celebrates after sending someone to the wall.
Yeah it’s extremely dirty to create space for yourself to have a clean lap. It was very very dirty of Hamilton to prevent Red Bull to send out their drivers earlier to avoid this problem to even occur. It was very very dirty by Hamilton that Verstappen avoided to overtake Hamilton on the outlap despite being told that he could do it if needed by his team on the radio. Lewis is such a dirty dirty dirty DIRTY driver.

Jolle

sosic2121 wrote:
nimoraca wrote:
I personally had no problem with Hamilton pacing himself on the out lap and creating some distance from Bot. He did however decide to finish that last lap even though he clearly gave up on it (he was 2 seconds down) probably wanting to still give Verstappen some dirty air at that last corner. He could have just pitted. Again nothing against the rules but he was definitely playing some mind games.
But I expected nothing less from a person that celebrates after sending someone to the wall.
What are you on about? RedBull first saw two Mercedes cars leave the garage on the very last moment while everyone was leaving for the last lap, and then send out both their cars. To late. It’s not that Mercedes planned to be in that position, but RedBull did. And not if Bottas and Hamilton had anywhere to go, the gaps all through the snake of cars was pretty equal. Bad timing from the RedBull pit wall and not enough cool from Verstappen to prepare his lap properly instead of doing some gearbox inspection.

Mr.S

Tvetovnato wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:29
sosic2121 wrote:
nimoraca wrote:
Yeah it’s extremely dirty to create space for yourself to have a clean lap. It was very very dirty of Hamilton to prevent Red Bull to send out their drivers earlier to avoid this problem to even occur. It was very very dirty by Hamilton that Verstappen avoided to overtake Hamilton on the outlap despite being told that he could do it if needed by his team on the radio. Lewis is such a dirty dirty dirty DIRTY driver.
I don't have a problem. You can call it dirty but it was legal. I mean Senna was dirty by this standard & for sure was Schumacher. And RB brought this on themselves with such a late release !

Having said that, to say Verstappen would have overtaken Hamilton is stupid. The track is very difficult to overtake without DRS & tyre age difference & Hamilton wouldn't have let him. And he would have run into Bottas. That part is a ridiculous assertion. And this is Lewis Hamilton, he backed out Rosberg in Abu Dhabi against team orders.

I mean if Hamilton could drive Verstappen into the fall @ 51g, then this is nothing. And that is how the remaining part of the championship will be anyways. There will be more crashes & tough driving !

Tvetovnato

Mr.S wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:34
Tvetovnato wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

I don't have a problem. You can call it dirty but it was legal. I mean Senna was dirty by this standard & for sure was Schumacher. And RB brought this on themselves with such a late release !

Having said that, to say Verstappen would have overtaken Hamilton is stupid. The track is very difficult to overtake without DRS & tyre age difference & Hamilton wouldn't have let him. And he would have run into Bottas. That part is a ridiculous assertion. And this is Lewis Hamilton, he backed out Rosberg in Abu Dhabi against team orders.

I mean if Hamilton could drive Verstappen into the fall @ 51g, then this is nothing. And that is how the remaining part of the championship will be anyways. There will be more crashes & tough driving !

I was of course being sarcastic about him being dirty. Drivers overtaking each other on outlaps is nothing difficult at all, and would have been no problem whatsoever. But as you say, Max would have still been caught in the chain reaction, so it would have made no difference. Which is why this whole discussion is completely pointless to start with, since there was nothing going on, other than that RB sent their drivers out too late.

NathanOlder

Big Tea wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:18
RaceFan1 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:16
Could RedBull use Perez to do some "Gamesmanship" during the race? Fighting for position on old tires on a track that's rough to pass on.

Slippery slope.
He could time his pit stops to cost Hamilton, but it is a precise calculation that can go wrong and lose points himself
No chance of that happening, If Perez stays out longer than Hamilton, Lewis will be so far ahead, Perez will be far far behind. Don't forget Sergio is close to 1 second off the pace, then add Hamilton being on Mediums and Segio on softs. So the only change Sergio has of being useful tomorrow is by passing a Mercedes or 2 at the start.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

At least/unfortunately we will probably not see the two leading drivers go hard wheel to wheel with this difference I’m strategy, tires and speed.

Jolle

Mr.S wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:34
Tvetovnato wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

You known what would be really dirty? Being send out to late and then shove in front of the guy in front of you who is driving in the cue at a reasonable distance.

proteus

The worst thing for Max is if he continues to play the Lewises game. Lewis managed to crack Rosberg and Vettel that way many times. Max needs to focus on himself, and his goal of extracting maximum out of the car. If that enables him to win its great, if not, he needs to understand that Mercedes managed to get their car back on top of the field. This year he has nothing to lose, so he needs to calm himself down and not allow to get frustrated. He managed to dent Lewis at the start of the season, forcing him into mistakes that were not often to be seen from him.

RedBull also have to step up their game and they need to start thinking like an american football team. Prepare the tactics of engagement, set the strategy and execute it with medical precision.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

the EDGE

Was great to see Max and Lewis exchange a fist-bump after quali

I’m sure their relationship will heal quickly… if only the same could be said for their fans

El Scorchio

Just seen qualifying. The booing afterwards is a bit childish and pathetic.

search

Big Tea wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:18
RaceFan1 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:16
Could RedBull use Perez to do some "Gamesmanship" during the race? Fighting for position on old tires on a track that's rough to pass on.

Slippery slope.
He could time his pit stops to cost Hamilton, but it is a precise calculation that can go wrong and lose points himself
even this is unlikely, I think, considering that he starts on softs. If he tries to make them last until Hamilton stops, the gap between them will probably be way too large already anyway for Hamilton to end up behind him.

ab_f1

Jolle wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:33
Bad timing from the RedBull pit wall and not enough cool from Verstappen to prepare his lap properly instead of doing some gearbox inspection.
Apart from Redbull getting timing wrong I don't think anyone else had any choice.

Max could not afford to fallback as he would have missed on doing the lap as well.

As for other points.

1. Lewis looking in mirrors in pits was necessary in case Max tries to overtake. He did had a little look in one of the previous runs.

2. I think the whole thing was blown out of proportion by Nico on world feed by calling it games, while TV camera was focussed on Lewis and gap to people in front wasn't visible almost whole lap.

foxmulder_ms

Big Tea wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:09
Unf wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 18:50
Max has offically ended the case :D

Max +1

I can respect that :D

jjn9128

My 2p worth. There needs to be a minimum outlap time, same as there's a minimum inlap time. The sight of the fastest cars in the world dawdling around is farcical and potentially dangerous. That said F1 needs tyres which don't need to be driven like that on an outlap to be at a suitable pressure.

It was obviously gamesmanship from Mercedes. Hamilton was more concerned with his mirrors than getting tyres/brakes in a window - evidenced by his 2.5s slower final run. But it's not illegal and Red Bull could have passed if they really wanted. Plus the Mercs got the job done on the first runs.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica