2021 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, Aug 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, Aug 27 - 29

Is it half point for fastest lap? the whole lap was completed.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SiLo

There should be no point for fastest lap if no green flag lap was actually completed. My opinions on the race points are the same.
Felipe Baby!

Phil

Is no one contesting the half points given? I’d have thought Haas or Alfa Romeo/Sauber would…
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

nzjrs

Phil wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 17:41
Is no one contesting the half points given? I’d have thought Haas or Alfa Romeo/Sauber would…
Yeah, I'm also surprised about this. I thought they might be seeing which way the sentiment winds are blowing.

It could be a PR win for them, fighting for the fans (with the bonus of no points for Williams)

ThumbsUp

nzjrs wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 14:33
ThumbsUp wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 14:27
It was a joke (the dreams part). Haas twitter was all over the Joke.
Sorry, it was a reaction on your first comment. I might have quoted the wrong comment. I get the joke mate!

renault rs26

I don't understand why everyone complain about points, race was just like Monaco GP.

codetower

Phil wrote:
Alfa Romeo could contest, but I think they would be the only ones. If you think about it, Other than AR, the only team that lost out enough to complain were Mercedes. The battle between them and RB could come down to a couple of points only. As far as the others, Mclaren only jumped 3.5 points over Ferrari, Alpha Tauri only gained 1 point on Alpine, Haas... well, they will have a hard time getting any points at all this year. So it's probably not worth the effort to all other teams.

i70q7m7ghw

Phil wrote:
Alfa did issue a fairly strongly worded statement, but it doesn't seem like there are any legal avenues for contesting the result. I can understand their irritation though as it pretty much puts Williams out of reach in the constructors now.

nzjrs

renault rs26 wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 18:50
I don't understand why everyone complain about points, race was just like Monaco GP.
Lol. Nice try.

the EDGE

Well at least 1 good thing has come out of the Belgium GP
F1 Commission to review rules Belgian GP ‘to see what can be learned and improved’, says Todt
What I want to know is when exactly did the race start… and if it’s was the first time round, then why the hell is Perez not a lap down in the classification???

And if it was the second time round, then surely they are still missing 1 lap of racing to be able to award points

dans79

renault rs26 wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 18:50
It was nothing like Monaco, even in Monaco drivers can overtake on pit strategy, or a driver mistake.

It is literally against the rules to pass someone when running behind the safety car.

As far as I'm concerned it's not a race unless drivers are allowed to overtake each other in some fashion, thus no points should be given out.

What we saw was not a race, it was as* covering by various individuals So they could claim a race was run, and thus didn't have to deal with refunds/compensation for the fans, and other legal wrangling with sponsors etc.
197 104 103 7

Tim.Wright

the EDGE wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 20:11
What I want to know is when exactly did the race start… and if it’s was the first time round, then why the hell is Perez not a lap down in the classification???

And if it was the second time round, then surely they are still missing 1 lap of racing to be able to award points
The race started the second time around.

They did an out-lap, one full lap, then one in-lap. In doing so they crossed the control line (start/finish) three times. Twice on the track and the last time coming through the pit entry after the red flag.

This results in two laps fully completed (the famous minimum required to call it a race) and then with the count-back due to the red flag only one lap is officially recorded in the classification. The count back only affects the final classification but (strangely) not the total laps counted to trigger the minimum race distance condition.
Not the engineer at Force India

the EDGE

Tim.Wright wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 20:46
the EDGE wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 20:11

The race started the second time around.

They did an out-lap, one full lap, then one in-lap. In doing so they crossed the control line (start/finish) three times. Twice on the track and the last time coming through the pit entry after the red flag.

This results in two laps fully completed (the famous minimum required to call it a race) and then with the count-back due to the red flag only one lap is officially recorded in the classification. The count back only affects the final classification but (strangely) not the total laps counted to trigger the minimum race distance condition.
Thanks.. so if the race didn’t start the first time round then why was the 3 hour count down clock started?

hollus

I juts reviewed the first lap of Alonso onboard. This is the lap at the beginning of the race, the one where they started from the grid slots and that was "not race".
Visibility in the corners was OK, and in the braking areas and acceleration zones, it was OK. But as soon as a straight was longer than 200m, you could no longer see the red flashing light of the car in front. Literally, at every straight worth of that name, the car in front was invisible. Mind you, this is at safety car speeds!
So surely those are no-go conditions.

The track did not look that ultra wet in most places, though. So, could it have been that intermediates, nursed carefully, would have been raceable?
How much less water do they displace per second?
And perhaps more importantly, would their spray consist of thicker droplets?
Possibly the cars themselves could have cleaned the track. Maybe (it is a 7km track).
Rivals, not enemies.

Tim.Wright

the EDGE wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 20:56
Thanks.. so if the race didn’t start the first time round then why was the 3 hour count down clock started?
The "race start" time given in the schedule (usually 15:00 hr) refers to the start of the formation lap. I assume that's when they start the race timer.
Not the engineer at Force India