2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

nzjrs wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 12:21
pb6797 wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 18:58
As far as Bottas not be replaceable goes - if he stopped co-operating then I am sure they could promote George early (they made a temporary switch last year after all, which must have been even more hassle?). Williams are pretty secure in 8th place now, so they could run one of their reserve drivers - I think Jack Aitken is still recovering but they could get a lot of positive PR by running Jamie Chadwick.
Interesting idea. Would be novel if they ran Chadwick, and whatever the result it would be able to be spun. Does she have enough SL points?
Not according to Mogster above.

They should steer well clear anyway. With the best will in the world I think she'd really struggle, especially over a full race distance. It would make a bit of a mockery of the W series.

nzjrs

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 12:25
They should steer well clear anyway. With the best will in the world I think she'd really struggle, especially over a full race distance. It would make a bit of a mockery of the W series.
I agree with you, but if they wanted a PR with with all upside and no? downside, then they would run her in Haas, the second best option is Williams. Basically over- or under-delivering in those cars means you end up at the back anyway.

(maybe I just want to see it for the spectacle on here 8) )

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 12:31
El Scorchio wrote:
I agree with you, but if they wanted a PR with with all upside and no? downside, then they would run her in Haas, the second best option is Williams. Basically over- or under-delivering in those cars means you end up at the back anyway.

True! A back of the field car is safer but I think they'd want a secret test first just to be sure she's not 3-4 seconds off the pace and can qualify with a good time. I do think she'd get obliterated in a full race, though just by virtue of not being as physically strong and resilient. (Which I hope doesn't come across as sexist- the physical toll of going the distance as we know is massive)

I'm actually quite an advocate of women's sport and would like to see it get more exposure, but I think this would have the danger of making women in motorsport a bit of a laughing stock.

Any serious attempt would be welcomed though, if it worked out and they could find someone capable. Susie Wolff I suspect was there at Williams more for the optics than anything else- given they chose NOT to race her when they had the chance, and Carmen Jorda just seemed to be there for not a lot more than an obligatory 'Wow, she's HOT' camera shot or two in the Lotus garage each race weekend. (Again, hoping this doesn't come across as sexist. I am trying to be objective. Apologies if anyone is offended)

Manoah2u

nzjrs wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 12:31
El Scorchio wrote:

Imagine Nikita's tamper if he gets completely destroyed by a women.
And i don't mean this misonegystic or however that's written, it's just that Mazepin has shown on multiple occasions he's a neanderthal so it'd be funny if he gets trashed by a girl.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dxpetrov

Wow, Mercedes are considering taking engine penalties in Monza! They really have issues with degradation... That looming engine penalty for Max is not that bad hindrance after all!

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/69484 ... penalties/

El Scorchio

dxpetrov wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:02
Wow, Mercedes are considering taking engine penalties in Monza! They really have issues with degradation... That looming engine penalty for Max is not that bad hindrance after all!

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/69484 ... penalties/
Well, it's probably the smart thing to do to get a 'freebie' change if RBR are doing the same thing either in Monza or a subsequent race. I should think the Mercedes will cut through the traffic pretty well there.

The interesting thing is how would teams taking an engine penalty handle a sprint weekend? Why would you bother with more than a cursory excursion into qualifying or the sprint when you know you're going to be at the back on Sunday anyway? I suppose if they both take a new engine Verstappen and Hamilton may have a weird 'mini' qualifying just to see who ends up one slot ahead of the other in 17th or 19th or whatever and there's always the unknown of any other grid penalties which may happen but there's next to point in risking the cars on Saturday.

codetower

Unfortunately, I feel it's going to be a rough week for the Tifosi, especially with the sprint qualifying happening this weekend. We know Leclerc can put in a great Qualifying lap, but the car doesn't have enough to hold that. We could lose places during the sprint. I see a top 10 finish difficult for Either Sainz or Leclerc, a 7-8 finish would be a nice surprise.

Could be a decent race for the McLarens, and might even see Vettel up a little higher.

dxpetrov

I still believe RB will postpone the change as long as possible. The calendar is still not settled and if they get a waiver for that 2nd PU to be repaired, I say they could go even without the 4. unit.
It's also good to ramp up the points, build a good cushion and who knows, they might secure the title earlier than anticipated. They can take the new engine then with no fuss and lost nerves.

RZS10

To add to the above: in the Dutch GP debrief Merc said that the engine that possibly went was already past it's planned mileage and wasn't supposed to be used anymore.

If either team will make the decision to put in a 4th it will be similar to RBR with Perez at the last race, an opportunistic decision that probably won't be made prior to sprint quali.

Schippke

As most have echoed... anything think Ferrari powered is going to struggle I reckon! Which will be a shame for the Italian Tifosi; They might get a bit of joy watching the 'Italian' Alpha Tauri's doing well at least. Gasly has been on a roll as of recent so could land himself nicely in the Top 10.

I'm tipping a surprise by Norris once again... McLaren has been very quick on the straights so far this year, helped in turn with Mercedes power so he may very well be in the mix in making things difficult for Mercedes and Red Bull. Very short lap here so the lap times differences won't be much.

A pity it'll be Sprint Qualifying again; Didn't think much of it last time in Silverstone... not expecting much here either, despite it being a track with a higher chance of overtaking.

El Scorchio

dxpetrov wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:25
I still believe RB will postpone the change as long as possible. The calendar is still not settled and if they get a waiver for that 2nd PU to be repaired, I say they could go even without the 4. unit.
It's also good to ramp up the points, build a good cushion and who knows, they might secure the title earlier than anticipated. They can take the new engine then with no fuss and lost nerves.
and using that logic, Mercedes would do the same.

dxpetrov

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:33
dxpetrov wrote:
I'm sure RB know they have the overall pace advantage. Big difference.

JPower

codetower wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:21
Unfortunately, I feel it's going to be a rough week for the Tifosi, especially with the sprint qualifying happening this weekend. We know Leclerc can put in a great Qualifying lap, but the car doesn't have enough to hold that. We could lose places during the sprint. I see a top 10 finish difficult for Either Sainz or Leclerc, a 7-8 finish would be a nice surprise.

Could be a decent race for the McLarens, and might even see Vettel up a little higher.
I can see them starting on mediums then trying to overcut some of the competition. That's the only way they'll be in the points IMO.

Ultimately, I'm looking at Mercedes and McLaren to have the upper hand this weekend. Mercedes for the obvious, McLaren because they were very quick last year and this year's car has similar characteristics with more power.
Last edited by JPower on 08 Sep 2021, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

dxpetrov wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:47
El Scorchio wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:33
dxpetrov wrote:
I'm sure RB know they have the overall pace advantage. Big difference.
Then all the more reason for Mercedes not to do it in Italy either.

dxpetrov

It seems they don't have many options. If you remember, they introduced the 2 PU in Azarbeijan already. That engine has some issues.