2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TimW

Re: 2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

ringo wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 07:06

Therefore it's perfectly logical to think if Lewis is to win in a car that has less downforce, is harder to setup, and is overall not the best car on average it would take some kind of deficiency on the other aspects of the sport which are the engine, the ERS, the pitstops, the strategy, the tyres, the weather ect. It's all part of the game.
Lets not overreact here :D

After a 'poor' weekend in Turkey the RedBull was hard to set up and not the best car, one race later and the Mercedes is hard to setup, has less downforce and is not the best car. It would be good if the media's memory was longer than 1 race!

Overall I think on the chassis side they are pretty evenly matched. Just Mercedes' seemingly higher engine risks makes RB the favorites for me (it may have lost them this race, with Bottas in Max' pit window the race would have been different). Also Red Bull seem a bit more steady in their race strategy.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 09:19
Ryar wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 21:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 18:20

Ringo is saying that in order for Hamilton/Mercedes to have a chance, Max has to suffer a DNF. He's not saying he wants a DNF. He might want one, but that's not what he's saying in his posts.
In someone else's view, it is wishing that way. Let's agree to disagree. The point is, Max has already suffered enough misfortune to then keep wishing to have more on his part. What kind of championship would it be to see one driver suffering such misfortune and the other team is in championship fight while making loads of mistakes. Clearly an undeserving one and can only please a certain, unfair narrative. In my opinion, Lewis is due a couple of DNFs, to be on level playing field in terms of misfortune. That would be a fight on equal footing. But that's detrimental to the show.
Someone else misunderstood ringo. Easy to do sometimes. :lol:

As for "undeserving" - you have to keep yourself in contention so that you can benefit from any dropped points. Is Rosberg's title in 2016 "undeserving" because Hamilton suffered two DNFs to his own single DNF? No - he had to work bloody hard all season to be close enough to benefit from it. Likewise if Max has another DNF and Lewis wins the title, it'll be because him and his team worked bloody hard to stay close enough to Max and Red Bull.

The whole "undeserved title" idea is most unbecoming. To win a title over a season as long as the modern seasons are means lots of hard work by lots of people for a very long time. There are no gimmes in F1.

Whoever wins the 2021 title will deserve it.
I don’t want to say Rosberg did not deserve the 2016 title. I really feel he did. Like you said and plus the battle with Hamilton was intense. Although in that case Toto had to contain them (intra team) where as now he is saying anything goes.

But, Hamilton deserved it more and I was rooting for him.

basti313

Sieper wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 13:45
Just_a_fan wrote:
Ryar wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 21:00
In someone else's view, it is wishing that way. Let's agree to disagree. The point is, Max has already suffered enough misfortune to then keep wishing to have more on his part. What kind of championship would it be to see one driver suffering such misfortune and the other team is in championship fight while making loads of mistakes. Clearly an undeserving one and can only please a certain, unfair narrative. In my opinion, Lewis is due a couple of DNFs, to be on level playing field in terms of misfortune. That would be a fight on equal footing. But that's detrimental to the show.

As for "undeserving" - you have to keep yourself in contention so that you can benefit from any dropped points. Is Rosberg's title in 2016 "undeserving" because Hamilton suffered two DNFs to his own single DNF? No - he had to work bloody hard all season to be close enough to benefit from it. Likewise if Max has another DNF and Lewis wins the title, it'll be because him and his team worked bloody hard to stay close enough to Max and Red Bull.

The whole "undeserved title" idea is most unbecoming. To win a title over a season as long as the modern seasons are means lots of hard work by lots of people for a very long time. There are no gimmes in F1.

I don’t want to say Rosberg did not deserve the 2016 title. I really feel he did. Like you said and plus the battle with Hamilton was intense. Although in that case Toto had to contain them (intra team) where as now he is saying anything goes.

So are you now rooting for Ham or Ver? I just want to understand who deserves it more this season.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Sieper

basti313 wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 15:03
Sieper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

So are you now rooting for Ham or Ver? I just want to understand who deserves it more this season.
My opinion is just that. An opinion. So coming from a Ver fan, yes, I do feel that this season Ver deserves it more. He f.I. already had a technical malfunction (Baku) where Hamilton had none, that in 2016 caused Ham to loose the title to Ros. Imho his driving has also been just slightly better as Ham.In 2016 the difference in capability between Ham and Ros was much bigger. Imho Ros was very good, but Ham is, and has been since he entered, a great.

Gillian

Wouter wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 09:22
Gillian wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 08:18
"However, we knew that we were running the PU quite turned up at that point. So that was flattering us, and also we could see that Max [Verstappen] didn't really get a lap in properly, he had a lot of issues with traffic and things. So we were probably overly... optimistic is the wrong word, but we thought we'd started the weekend well.
https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-admi ... t-practice
Like Ringo is saying, reliability is key to beating Red Bull and it seems Mercedes know it too. They are trying to force Honda to turn the PU up too, hoping it will fail.
Mercedes always drives with conservative settings on Fridays, they can go much faster.
Why have they now for the first time "running the PU quite turned up."? What was the use/purpose of that?
Mercedes has not given a reason why they did it, only confirmed it.

codetower

darkpino wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 05:59
codetower wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 20:28
darkpino wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 19:05

I agree, Lewis was pretty calm yesterday so it seemed. For me it didn’t feel at all as if Lewis gave up.
Only thing that surprised me was Lewis making a couple of mistakes in the final laps where he used to be pretty deadly in these scenario’s
To be fair, it's not often (at least in the last year or two) that Hamilton is chasing down a car that is as quick, or possibly quicker than yours. There are only a small handful of drivers on the track today that would have been able to keep up like like that without a single mistake... as well as maintain that lead from that car/driver combo without mistakes. I think they both had incredible drives yesterday.
I think “yours” should be “his”? Otherwise I want to make clear there is no car of mine on the grid :) nor does it feel like that

I agree they both had incredible drives which shows by the gap to their team mates (which are both in my opinion no slouches either)
Ahhh yes, my apologies! I twas typing too quickly... I meant quicker than "his" own car.

Gillian

Sieper wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 15:29
basti313 wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 15:03
Sieper wrote:

My opinion is just that. An opinion. So coming from a Ver fan, yes, I do feel that this season Ver deserves it more. He f.I. already had a technical malfunction (Baku) where Hamilton had none, that in 2016 caused Ham to loose the title to Ros. Imho his driving has also been just slightly better as Ham.In 2016 the difference in capability between Ham and Ros was much bigger. Imho Ros was very good, but Ham is, and has been since he entered, a great.
I have the exact same opinion. 2014 to 2016 Hamilton deserved it more than Rosberg. Rosberg is not as bad as people make him out to be (some have claimed him to be the most undeserving champ), but Hamilton always was just better.

This season Verstappen is just performing better than Hamilton. I do feel like the second half of Hamilton's season has been way better than the first. I couldn't say who performed better this race, they both did everything they could with the material they had.

jumpingfish

https://the-race.com/formula-1/haas-nee ... ning-feet/
He complained about the feet getting hot a few times,- said Haas team boss Guenther Steiner about Nikita Mazepin.
Any suggestions what could be the source of heat near the shoe sole area?

Jolle

jumpingfish wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 21:18
He complained about the feet getting hot a few times,- said Haas team boss Guenther Steiner about Nikita Mazepin.
a blocked vent is my guess

jumpingfish

Jolle wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 21:27
jumpingfish wrote:
Oh okay, I thought about something like battery but shouldn't battery be somewhere behind the driver.. :?

JPower

jumpingfish wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 21:57
Jolle wrote:
jumpingfish wrote:

Oh okay, I thought about something like battery but shouldn't battery be somewhere behind the driver.. :?
Pretty sure it was his power steering motor.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
jumpingfish wrote:
Possible hydraulic fluid cyl? 'toes up' would put his feet almost against the master cylinder reservoir, and it was hot with lots of breaks work. As you say, maybe air venting into the footwell as an 'exhaust vent' blocked with debris?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

flynfrog

Lots of stuff up there brakes, shocks, Power steering all possibilities. Image

Hammerfist

It just dawned on me. When max pitted the first time, that actually could have turned out to be a bad move because he ended up behind Ricciardo. Had Ricciardo been able to make it harder for Max to pass, even for one lap, Mercedes would probably pit Lewis there to maintain track position. Sort of lucky for Redbull to assume that Max was just going to breeze past Ricciardo. Ricciardo didn't even attempt to defend the inside line too, which was a little bizarre.

ringo

Well he does want Max to be Champion. It's Mercedes vs everyone who wants to see them lose.
For Sure!!