2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gillian

Re: 2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

ringo wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 17:35
godlameroso wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 16:54
SiLo wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 11:13
They run Monaco level wing and get Monza level downforce.
Monaco level wings for Spa level downforce is probably more accurate. The air is thinner but it's not that thin, air density is reduced by ~30%, although that doesn't translate into 30% less downforce exactly. What matters is the relationship between the high and low pressure surfaces and the way flow is organized around the chassis.

If there's 30% less drag, then the air flowing under the car is also ~30% faster, meaning the velocity differential between the upper surface of the car, and the floor is not altered linearly.

Larger opening to the leading edge of the floor, may help around Mexico, Alpine style.
That's not the only factor. Because the momentum of the air is less per cubic volume, the little flicks and deflectors and winglets will not be able to manipulate the air in the same way that they did under normal air densities.

I wont make any predictions until the end of P3. However redbull is due a nightmare weekend. I would love to see Checo act out and go against the team wishes and fight max for the win. :lol: Then maybe some wing damage or floor damage happens and a gravel trap visit. :mrgreen:
Interesting comment. I guess Ryar was right then in the last race thread? Very unsporting.

ringo wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 07:06
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 18:20
Ryar wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 17:54
Ringo has said it multiple times on race threads and in Mercedes threads. Not sure what you are defending. The right thing to ask for, is for both Lewis and Mercedes to stop making silly mistakes, not wishing bad luck to Max and RB.
Ringo is saying that in order for Hamilton/Mercedes to have a chance, Max has to suffer a DNF. He's not saying he wants a DNF. He might want one, but that's not what he's saying in his posts.
Exactly!! They are trying to create an argument when there is none. Even Toto and Horner are saying it. Reliability is a part of F-1. It is a team sport. It's not only about the drivers. And I for one do not mind if other factors outside of the drivers add depth to the sport. If a car is faster than another and both cars are driven at their expected speeds it's very obvious that the faster will win all the time.
If Honda are pushing their engine, and Newey is pushing the chassis side, which can indirectly stress the engine and suspension, and this gives them a pace advantage then it's only natural if the car breaks that it is part of the sport and part of the competition. I think some people are missing the essence of what F-1 is all about.

If Max drives like he drove in Austin, even in the first stint, where he was so relaxed as to be within DRS of Hamilton and took his sweet time to talk on the radio that he has much more pace and he is only waiting...
Then clear this guy does not have to push hard and will simply make no errors and just waltz to victory..

Therefore it's perfectly logical to think if Lewis is to win in a car that has less downforce, is harder to setup, and is overall not the best car on average it would take some kind of deficiency on the other aspects of the sport which are the engine, the ERS, the pitstops, the strategy, the tyres, the weather ect. It's all part of the game.

I am not calling down bad luck on Max, I am just saying that he will only not become champion if there is some kind of failure. At this stage he will not make errors or crash into anyone. I think he knows he has a very good machine under him that he is fully in tune with.

Ced
Ced

godlameroso wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 15:07
Ferrari will be very strong on the medium tire, not so much on the hard. They'll find it difficult to get the tire working in its sweet spot.

If they make the hard tire work it will be at the expense of the other two compounds.
How do you know ?

LHamilton

I'm gonna predict a Leclerc win. A lot of slow speed corners and two long (one super long) straights. Think this one can play into their hands. I do wonder if Mercedes "Suspension-trick" will put them closer to the front than previous years? Will Mercedes be able to run their engine more "aggressive" in Mexico, in the same way they have done (according to rumours) previously? Regardless, I don't think Mercedes will fight for the win. They might be fighting for a podium this week, with Ferrari and Red Bull looking to fight for the win (in my opinion).

People who are rooting for a Perez win should probably hold their horses slightly. First of all, you have the Verstappen factor, which a few people already have pointed out. But we also have the factor that bar 2019, when Perez had Stroll as his teammate, he is yet to out-race his teammate in Mexico. So not only must he overcome the fact that this looks like a bit of a boogey track for him, but also the Verstappen factor. If it's because of the workload, or specifics to the track, I do not know. Probably a bit of both? Perez's workload before even getting into the car must be quite tremendous since he is the only Mexican in F1 (for now) and a bit of a Superstar for the Mexican fans. Being at Red Bull, in the limelight, won't be any eaiser.

Interesting three weekends to follow with a tripple-header. These three races could swing the Championship quite dramatically and we might have a clear picture going into the final two races. Teams will be pushed to their limits and there is no week in between properly assess things (Faults with engine etc.).

b2bL44

Ced wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 23:35
godlameroso wrote:
Ferrari will be very strong on the medium tire, not so much on the hard. They'll find it difficult to get the tire working in its sweet spot.

If they make the hard tire work it will be at the expense of the other two compounds.
How do you know ?
Probably did a few laps on the F1 game.
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

ringo

Gillian wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 21:24
ringo wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Monaco level wings for Spa level downforce is probably more accurate. The air is thinner but it's not that thin, air density is reduced by ~30%, although that doesn't translate into 30% less downforce exactly. What matters is the relationship between the high and low pressure surfaces and the way flow is organized around the chassis.

If there's 30% less drag, then the air flowing under the car is also ~30% faster, meaning the velocity differential between the upper surface of the car, and the floor is not altered linearly.

Larger opening to the leading edge of the floor, may help around Mexico, Alpine style.
That's not the only factor. Because the momentum of the air is less per cubic volume, the little flicks and deflectors and winglets will not be able to manipulate the air in the same way that they did under normal air densities.

I wont make any predictions until the end of P3. However redbull is due a nightmare weekend. I would love to see Checo act out and go against the team wishes and fight max for the win. :lol: Then maybe some wing damage or floor damage happens and a gravel trap visit. :mrgreen:
Interesting comment. I guess Ryar was right then in the last race thread? Very unsporting.

ringo wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 18:20

Ringo is saying that in order for Hamilton/Mercedes to have a chance, Max has to suffer a DNF. He's not saying he wants a DNF. He might want one, but that's not what he's saying in his posts.
Exactly!! They are trying to create an argument when there is none. Even Toto and Horner are saying it. Reliability is a part of F-1. It is a team sport. It's not only about the drivers. And I for one do not mind if other factors outside of the drivers add depth to the sport. If a car is faster than another and both cars are driven at their expected speeds it's very obvious that the faster will win all the time.
If Honda are pushing their engine, and Newey is pushing the chassis side, which can indirectly stress the engine and suspension, and this gives them a pace advantage then it's only natural if the car breaks that it is part of the sport and part of the competition. I think some people are missing the essence of what F-1 is all about.

If Max drives like he drove in Austin, even in the first stint, where he was so relaxed as to be within DRS of Hamilton and took his sweet time to talk on the radio that he has much more pace and he is only waiting...
Then clear this guy does not have to push hard and will simply make no errors and just waltz to victory..

Therefore it's perfectly logical to think if Lewis is to win in a car that has less downforce, is harder to setup, and is overall not the best car on average it would take some kind of deficiency on the other aspects of the sport which are the engine, the ERS, the pitstops, the strategy, the tyres, the weather ect. It's all part of the game.

I am not calling down bad luck on Max, I am just saying that he will only not become champion if there is some kind of failure. At this stage he will not make errors or crash into anyone. I think he knows he has a very good machine under him that he is fully in tune with.
It's entertainment. lighten up!
It's not unsporting if its part of the sport.
It's not bad luck either, it would be Checo vs Max. We saw how Max squeezed lewis at the start of COTA. Also how perez squeezed leclerc in austria. That's just how these guys drive.
I want to see Checo win his home grandprix. Whatever he needs to do to get it is on him and Max.
For Sure!!

Ryar

ringo wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 03:12
Gillian wrote:
ringo wrote:

ringo wrote:

It's not bad luck either, it would be Checo vs Max. We saw how Max squeezed lewis at the start of COTA. Also how perez squeezed leclerc in austria. That's just how these guys drive.
I want to see Checo win his home grandprix. Whatever he needs to do to get it is on him and Max.
This is where Moderation comes into question, a similar comment of mine was taken out in the last thread when I said, Hamilton still has a few DNFs to go and mods removed that post (quoting, "trolling"). But here is a similar comment being made about Max and the poster is escaping by saying, "it's entertainment"! I guess, if someone has spent a lifetime here, they have a right to get away with trolling posts and the moderation penalties applies for new bees. :)
Hakuna Matata!

Gillian

ringo wrote:
Gillian wrote:
ringo wrote:

ringo wrote:

I don't mind your post. If you want Verstappen to have bad luck that's fine. I do mind however you can say these things about Red Bull/Verstappen, but others can't say similar things about Mercedes/Hamilton. And I also mind how other posters got attacked because of your posts.

Gillian

Ryar wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 06:58
ringo wrote:
Gillian wrote:

This is where Moderation comes into question, a similar comment of mine was taken out in the last thread when I said, Hamilton still has a few DNFs to go and mods removed that post (quoting, "trolling"). But here is a similar comment being made about Max and the poster is escaping by saying, "it's entertainment"! I guess, if someone has spent a lifetime here, they have a right to get away with trolling posts and the moderation penalties applies for new bees. :)
I don't know what's up but just wanted to highlight this. You and a few others got attacked because of Ringo's post and right the very next race thread he makes the same comments. Should be fine for others to make the same comments too then about other drivers and teams.

hollus

Attack the post, not the poster.
Following that easy rule makes everything so much enjoyable for everyone.
We all come here to talk about cars, and F1 and drivers and teams.
Not to talk about what poster A thinks that poster B thinks about what moderator C did to a post from user D about user E.
Anything falling in the last category might be subject to deletion without explanation, and without consistency: treated as background noise: something to be cleaned, but not to obsess about cleaning perfectly.

Rivals, not enemies.

SiLo

godlameroso wrote:
SiLo wrote:

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2017/mex ... uit-stats/

Mclaren themselves say otherwise, it's actually less downforce than Monza.
Felipe Baby!

Gillian

hollus wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 09:08
Following that easy rule makes everything so much enjoyable for everyone.
We all come here to talk about cars, and F1 and drivers and teams.
Not to talk about what poster A thinks that poster B thinks about what moderator C did to a post from user D about user E.
Anything falling in the last category might be subject to deletion without explanation, and without consistency: treated as background noise: something to be cleaned, but not to obsess about cleaning perfectly.

Let's not attack a poster either. I am not attacking Ringo, merely using this as an example of unfair treatment of posters.

Maybe I misunderstand what you say and if I do I apologize, but consistency ís key here. Either don't allow these comments and remove them all or do allow it and don't interfere.

I will shut up now.

SiLo

godlameroso wrote:

I still enjoy how you post stuff like this as if it's fact. In truth, you don't know how Ferrari will be at all.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
SiLo wrote:

That's double counting - the drag is reduced because the density is reduced. It doesn't mean the air travelling under the car is going 30% too. The air is less dense all around the car and thus the mass conservation is maintained. Mass of air under the car is density*velocity*sectional area of the underfloor volume. If the density of the air going under the floor at the front (and coming out at the back) is reduced, the mass flow is reduced proportionally that's all.

Reduced air density leads to reduced drag and reduced lift/downforce and it does so linearly and proportionally. The equations are the same just with different coefficients (Cd and Cl).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Ryar wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 06:58
ringo wrote:
Gillian wrote:

I'm on thin ice, and I've been here 11 years.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 11:02
godlameroso wrote:

I still enjoy how you post stuff like this as if it's fact. In truth, you don't know how Ferrari will be at all.
This is a writing style that I like. It used to be the norm in the "silly season" threads. It's just a way to write as if you have a hypothesis based on data. It's understood that the writer has no crystal ball. It's bold predictions basically. The fun part for me is when people have to explain the errors when actual results come out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏