2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

zibby43 wrote:
03 Nov 2021, 20:17
This still the race thread?
yea, and more technical(a good thing imo), than is normally is this time of the week.
197 104 103 7

Sevach
Sevach

godlameroso wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 16:55
Sevach wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 13:47
Mexico doesn't have many long straights, it has one, it's the mother of all straights however lol.
I'd say in terms of track layout Baku is the closest thing in my opinion.
Drag penalty is also reduced by a lot here.
Those are cons for Mercedes.

It's possible Mercedes wasn't able to setup their suspension in their prefered way for Austin because of the sector 1 bumps, that's a possible positive for them.

The clincher of course is how their engine will perform in the altitude, Mercedes didn't look good at all in the Red Bull Ring "sneak preview", but i can't blame the engine, Mclaren was flying.
Baku's main straight is longer.
The full throttle section is longer, drag penalty is larger (i think it's also above sea level but nowhere near as much), but i think it's closest track for a comparison.

richardn
richardn

Sevach wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 07:34
godlameroso wrote:
Sevach wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 13:47
Mexico doesn't have many long straights, it has one, it's the mother of all straights however lol.
I'd say in terms of track layout Baku is the closest thing in my opinion.
Drag penalty is also reduced by a lot here.
Those are cons for Mercedes.

It's possible Mercedes wasn't able to setup their suspension in their prefered way for Austin because of the sector 1 bumps, that's a possible positive for them.

The clincher of course is how their engine will perform in the altitude, Mercedes didn't look good at all in the Red Bull Ring "sneak preview", but i can't blame the engine, Mclaren was flying.
The full throttle section is longer, drag penalty is larger (i think it's also above sea level but nowhere near as much), but i think it's closest track for a comparison.
Baku is 20m+ below sea level. It's just above the level of the adjacent Caspian Sea, which is 28m below reference sea level apparently.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

richardn wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 10:54
Sevach wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 07:34
godlameroso wrote:

Baku is 20m+ below sea level. It's just above the level of the adjacent Caspian Sea, which is 28m below reference sea level apparently.
Baku is generally regarded to be 28m below sea level. It's one of only two capital cities that are below sea level.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

F1Krof

SirBastianVettel wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 20:15
I expect Mercedes to be strong this year in Mexico, wouldn’t be surprised to see them lock out the front row.
Absolutely not. RBR with Max will kick ass as per usual.
Wroom wroom

zibby43
zibby43

I can see potentially both RB and Ferrari being ahead of Merc here.

Dee
Dee

Things I'm looking forward to finding out this wkd;

* Have RB changed their car philosphy too much from 2018/2019 to be dominant in traction zones in Mexico?
* Mercedes should be able to pick their ideal setup for this race and increase engine power by 12hp, will this even out against RB high altitude engine and make them competitive for the win?
* If Merc are increasing power by 12 HP, will Hamilton take an engine penalty here? Cannot see that engine lasting the rest of the races if run at that power even if just used for high altitude Mexico/Brazil
* RB team member in Autosport forum said "updates working well" for COTA so have RB made the car better and will this impact be seen in traction zones in Mexico?
*How well will Ferrari qualify and will that impact Mercedes?
* How much advantage will that newly designed Honda engine really give to RB at the highest track of the season?

ringo

Mercedes car can run better here than they traditionally do. In fact Honda's engine may be more like mercedes engine now and suffer the same issues that mercedes did in the past.
Something tells me both teams will still be neck and neck. Ferrari may be the best car for this track.

A sainz or Perez win would be cool.
For Sure!!

Andres125sx

ringo wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 02:38
If Max comes in his way and they fight and perez bumps him off outside the curbs thats part of racing. I'm not calling for any bad luck on any driver. I'm just hoping for a edge of the seat race. Let the pieces fall where they may; carbon fiber that is. lol
If it´s Bottas who bumps Hamilton off outside the curbs you will consider that part of racing too? :twisted:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 09:04
ringo wrote:
If Max comes in his way and they fight and perez bumps him off outside the curbs thats part of racing. I'm not calling for any bad luck on any driver. I'm just hoping for a edge of the seat race. Let the pieces fall where they may; carbon fiber that is. lol
If it´s Bottas who bumps Hamilton off outside the curbs you will consider that part of racing too? :twisted:
It would be, yes. It would also be him getting back at the team for not renewing his contract. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

atanatizante

zibby43 wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 21:53
I can see potentially both RB and Ferrari being ahead of Merc here.
Many are judging how Merc will perform here in Mexico based on what the car did in Monaco and Baku but instead, they should have Hungary (after the Silverstone upgrade) in their mind and with little help of the squat and the new plenum, maybe ... By the way, when RB stopped upgrade their car? after the Netherlands?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

kalinka
kalinka

When did they actually introduced the suspension squat ?

Alexf1
Alexf1

ringo wrote:
Mercedes car can run better here than they traditionally do. In fact Honda's engine may be more like mercedes engine now and suffer the same issues that mercedes did in the past.
Something tells me both teams will still be neck and neck. Ferrari may be the best car for this track.

As for trolling arguments. I am not wasting energy addressing those straw man arguments.
I maintain that I want to see Perez drive his hardest to win his home grand Prix. They may even name the track after hm if he does.
A sainz or Perez win would be cool.
A big off for Hamilton with a wrecked engine would be too, but I don't wish him that as I think it's a sport. Not entertainment like you called it.

PlatinumZealot

kalinka wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 15:45
When did they actually introduced the suspension squat ?
Since 1999...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I don’t see any Mercedes +250kph corners. How are they going to beat Redbull?