2021 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2021 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 12-14

Bill_Kar wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 20:34
It has been reported by Brazilian journalists as well, so it might be true.

I don't think it changes something dramatically. I mean, realistically, Hamilton can only expect P2, so with a 5-place grid he will still be P2 or P3 I think, it depends on Perez.
+5 sounds unlikely to me. They were able to use some old parts for an ICE-only change once, but twice... where are they supposed to come from?! From an old Friday engine? Can't see it happen. Should be a full new unit - if they really take a penalty at all.

PlatinumZealot

search wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 20:48
Bill_Kar wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 20:34
It has been reported by Brazilian journalists as well, so it might be true.

I don't think it changes something dramatically. I mean, realistically, Hamilton can only expect P2, so with a 5-place grid he will still be P2 or P3 I think, it depends on Perez.
+5 sounds unlikely to me. They were able to use some old parts for an ICE-only change once, but twice... where are they supposed to come from?! From an old Friday engine? Can't see it happen. Should be a full new unit - if they really take a penalty at all.
A brand new ICE is +5 positions. He has enough ERS and ES to use as they are OK.

Championship over due to reliabilty then.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Hamilton can still manage a P1. The rain can just as much ruin Verstappen's lap and Hamilton/Bottas can have a perfect moment lap and be comfortable P1 and P2. He could start from P6 still, and it's likely from P6 he'll climb the field to guarantee a podium finish and not unlikely be P2.

does the grid penalty get served @ the sprint race or @ the main race?

i thought i remember that the sprint race is officially 'qualification' and afaik there ain't no penalties taken there, so am i to assume he can take a brand new engine, get pole and win and grab a point, then find himself in the main race starting P6 and finish P2 - likely behind Max - set the fastest lap and grab another point. Max grabs 27 points (P2 in sprint), Lewis grabs 22 points (p2 in main). Max would then extend his lead with 5 points in this scenario.

That would mean Max would have a 24 points lead on Hamilton with 3 races to go ( i missed one race somehow before ). He needs to score 8 points over Max every race just to be even, and if they end up even, Max would still win due to win count. The difference between P1 and P2 is 7 points, so even if Lewis wins every single GP after Brazil, AND manages to get the fastest lap (which is going to be impossible, as Marko would sacrifice Perez, Gasly or Tsunoda for that), he still won't make it.

Meaning the only chance for Hamilton to win the WDC is if Verstappen finishes a race in P3 instead of P2.

That said, anything can still happen and it's more likely to happen here @ Brazil.
Also, it's a tactical smart and sound decision to take a penalty here, especially if it's raining during qually and sprint race.

not only are incidents more likely, and with that safety cars perhaps even red flags, which increases chances on gaining.
for those in front you lose your gap, for those behind you win that. a lucky timed pitstop can even turn the tables.

And yes, Max can also get a DNF.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sevach
Sevach

godlameroso wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 20:45
Rough translation, water pressure issue? Hamilton taking another ICE?
It's my native language so word for word:
Hamilton will change his combustion engine in Interlagos.
Mercedes thought they had solved their problems, but they noticed a water pressure drop during the Mexican race.

Her language is pretty direct, it will be a big egg in her face if that info proves wrong.

AMG.Tzan

What an embarrassing championship by Mercedes...

Can't believe Mercedes are the ones that can't make it with 3-4 engines and need more! Honda was the one that had such issues in the past years yet they've managed to solve everything for 2021! Maybe it's time Mercedes says goodbye to the 2021 titles and gets fully loaded for 2022...

Anyway, on the race front! Scrolling through Twitter I read that Mercedes won't be able to use the clever rear suspension so much because Turn 6 is quite fast...that means that they won't be fast enough down the straights to recover time lost through S2! A penalty for Hamilton makes this a foregone conclusion for Max and Red Bull since both haven't made any mistakes all year long like Mercedes!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

pb6797
pb6797

Still assuming the teams have any engines, it sounds as if they are all still waiting for them to arrive?

politburo
politburo

Manoah2u wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 22:09
Hamilton can still manage a P1. The rain can just as much ruin Verstappen's lap and Hamilton/Bottas can have a perfect moment lap and be comfortable P1 and P2. He could start from P6 still, and it's likely from P6 he'll climb the field to guarantee a podium finish and not unlikely be P2.

i thought i remember that the sprint race is officially 'qualification' and afaik there ain't no penalties taken there, so am i to assume he can take a brand new engine, get pole and win and grab a point, then find himself in the main race starting P6 and finish P2 - likely behind Max - set the fastest lap and grab another point. Max grabs 27 points (P2 in sprint), Lewis grabs 22 points (p2 in main). Max would then extend his lead with 5 points in this scenario.

That would mean Max would have a 24 points lead on Hamilton with 3 races to go ( i missed one race somehow before ). He needs to score 8 points over Max every race just to be even, and if they end up even, Max would still win due to win count. The difference between P1 and P2 is 7 points, so even if Lewis wins every single GP after Brazil, AND manages to get the fastest lap (which is going to be impossible, as Marko would sacrifice Perez, Gasly or Tsunoda for that), he still won't make it.

Meaning the only chance for Hamilton to win the WDC is if Verstappen finishes a race in P3 instead of P2.

That said, anything can still happen and it's more likely to happen here @ Brazil.
Also, it's a tactical smart and sound decision to take a penalty here, especially if it's raining during qually and sprint race.

not only are incidents more likely, and with that safety cars perhaps even red flags, which increases chances on gaining.
for those in front you lose your gap, for those behind you win that. a lucky timed pitstop can even turn the tables.

Grid penalties are served in main race.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

PlatinumZealot

AMG.Tzan wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 23:50

Can't believe Mercedes are the ones that can't make it with 3-4 engines and need more! Honda was the one that had such issues in the past years yet they've managed to solve everything for 2021! Maybe it's time Mercedes says goodbye to the 2021 titles and gets fully loaded for 2022...

Anyway, on the race front! Scrolling through Twitter I read that Mercedes won't be able to use the clever rear suspension so much because Turn 6 is quite fast...that means that they won't be fast enough down the straights to recover time lost through S2! A penalty for Hamilton makes this a foregone conclusion for Max and Red Bull since both haven't made any mistakes all year long like Mercedes!
They have made quite a few mistakes. They haven't been flawless.

The Baku blowout was a gift because of RB aggressive tyre setups.
Portugal and Bahrain were also tactical gifts.
Silverstone was another tactical gift.
Austin lap 1 was a gift for Mercedes.
Mexico Q3 was also a gift.

Perez taking long to get up to speed is also another huge gift.

Mercedes really do not "deserve" to be this close in both championships but somehow through sheer luck and mishaps to RB they are still in the frame.

Drivers have made many small but costly errors:

Hamilton finger slip Baku
Hamilton & Bottas Imola
Bottas Mexico
Bottas Russia

Are some I remember.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

AMG.Tzan wrote:

Can't believe Mercedes are the ones that can't make it with 3-4 engines and need more! Honda was the one that had such issues in the past years yet they've managed to solve everything for 2021!
Ehmmm Verstappen and Perez both have served penalties for their 4th engines so i dunno what you're talking about.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Ryar

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 03:58
AMG.Tzan wrote:

Can't believe Mercedes are the ones that can't make it with 3-4 engines and need more! Honda was the one that had such issues in the past years yet they've managed to solve everything for 2021!
Ehmmm Verstappen and Perez both have served penalties for their 4th engines so i dunno what you're talking about.
You very well know the reason behind Red Bull's engine change Vs Mercedes'. :)
Hakuna Matata!

Pany
Pany

In case hamilton change engine, if i were redbull i would immediately do the same, so race in equal conditions. This way the tactics are nullified AND tou keep the same point difference. There is good chance max win the gp aniway
Manoah2u wrote:

Pany
Pany

In case hamilton change engine, if i were redbull i would immediately do the same, so race in equal conditions. This way the tactics are nullified AND tou keep the same point difference. There is good chance max win the gp aniway
Manoah2u wrote:

etusch

Manoah2u wrote:

Send this to Ron Howard. You have %50 chance. :lol:

Pany
Pany

If i were mercedes i would make this tactical move: change bottas engine and let him win 1 or 2 GPs, which he would gladly do

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

AMG.Tzan wrote:

Actually, after their magnificent debut in 2014, Merc powerunit development already slowed down in the years after. In 2019 all 4 were pretty equal, altough one was burning more fuel than others…

The ban on oil burning and single power mapping for Q & Race really seems to cripple the eventually. It show now they turn up the engine, to keep up with Honda.