Hungarian GP 2006

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DaveKillens

Tp wrote:Didn't like what Alonso did to Schumacher to get him a penalty during the red flag though. But hey I'm not gonna moan about it for 7 pages when it resulted in a great race.
Tp, I'm very sure you have watched a soccer game where during a free kick close to the goal, the defence suddenly as a man step forward and draw an offside? It's all about pulling a fast one on the opposition, catching your opponent and making the best of it. This kind of chicanery happens in all sports, it's all about trapping your opponent and taking advantage of a second's loss of concentration. You take advantage of the situation, and hope your opponent falls into the trap. That's what happened to Shu, Alonso saw a flag, knew Shu was close behind and braked, hoping to draw an offside.
They all do it.

mini696

Alonso didnt do anything... Schu passed DC (under red flags) 3 corners before reaching Alonso.

pRo

I just don't get it. How come anyone can get away without any penalty (or even investigation?) and score points, after...

1) Someone is trying to lap him, but he refuses and keeps blocking the other driver and makes him really work for it.

2) Someone is overtaking him and is already ahead, when he hits the other driver and breaks his rear wing.
Edit: Some sources say Fisi's rear wing failure was caused by their collision, other say it wasn't. Feel free to ignore this, until proven one way or the other. 8)

3) He keeps his position only by driving through a chicane and refuses to give that position away.

4) He hits another car in the same corner.

We've seen actions been taken for a lot less. A LOT.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Ciro Pabón

pRo wrote:I just don't get it. How come anyone can get away without any penalty (or even investigation?) and score points...
Easy: stewards spent all the red cards in the first two days...

Besides, the better part of having Schumacher in the grid these days is that you know in advance what is going to happen if somebody passes him. Somehow, in some incredibly improbable way, he is going to save face "for history", after an specially-hard-to-judge manouver that reverberates in the stands for a while and spreads some carbon fibre on the track. Then, you have the press conferences... this guy could handle bin Laden public relations... :wink:

I guess this pays half of the ticket and keeps alive half of the threads on this forum. Finally, it gives an energetic and vigorizing massage to MC heart once in a while... :)

I am sorry for Kubica, a great driver, that won astonishingly in Brazil when he had a shot there on a Formula Renault race: he is one of the greatests, say some brazilian friends that saw him in action, even if today you could have a good case arguing about "beginner's luck".

But, hey, old Schuey can do what he does best: squeeze every drop. I am not against it. I prefer a proactive view. Besides, anything can cost the championship these days, as today's race proved. For a while, Schumacher was one point behind...

Good for Schumi: he is one victory-vs-retirement away, and with a car that wasn't precisely brilliant for the first semester... let's see how Renault handles it. Don't count on luck playing such a big part on next races, I'd say.

Actually, the ten point difference raises a probability of the championship being tied... case in which Alonso wins, doesn't he?
Ciro

Tp
Tp

DaveKillens wrote:Tp, I'm very sure you have watched a soccer game where during a free kick close to the goal, the defence suddenly as a man step forward and draw an offside?
Yeah I agree, but that has all the time in football, the red flag incident, well they don't happen that often. Imagine if that would happen all the time during all the practice sessions, the qualifying and race. Just to get rivals penalised. It would be chaos....
mini6962 wrote:Alonso didnt do anything... Schu passed DC (under red flags) 3 corners before reaching Alonso.
I only saw the incident from Kubica's on-board camera, where Alonso drives that slow that Kubica is even about to overtake him but Schumacher overtakes first.

f1.redbaron

Tp wrote:
I only saw the incident from Kubica's on-board camera, where Alonso drives that slow that Kubica is even about to overtake him but Schumacher overtakes first.
Is it just me or did Alonso suddenly accelerate after being passes by Michael? And, it is more than obvious that Alonso was going really, really slow!

manchild

So all drivers behind Alonso know hot to slow down but Schuey forgot how to brake? :roll:
Last edited by manchild on 07 Aug 2006, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

allan

whatever the reason was, and even if it was alonso's fault, we have to admit that it was a smart move from him(alonso). he did it perfectly, while when michael tried to slow the other cars down in monaco, he got punished, because it was way too obvious!

DaveKillens

This is wonderful, the battle for the title is so close and competitive that both Alonso and Shu are seeking every advantage possible. Fair or foul, this is fascinating. It reminds me of the battles between Alan Prost and Ayrton Senna.
Shu, the master of political gamemanship, is running out of time. But the crafty fox still has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, and the game is far from over. Stay tuned folks, this is going to be a very eventful and interesting rounds of events until someone emerges as the champ.
This may have a lot of controversy and fans arguing who did what and who is the evil villian, but it sure beats the snot out of routinely watching Shu grind out title win after title win.

RH1300S

I hadn't seen the red flag "incident" until I saw that video linked earlier. I heard that MS overtook 4 cars, from what we hear on this forum it's at least three.

MS was daft to stumble into that offside trap (no-one else took the bait; not even the rookie :twisted:); it looked like they were almost on the pit entrance - he had very little to gain; everything to lose. FA snookered him...........

Good gamesmanship and has no relationship to the "parking" incident at Monaco.

Rest of the race; at various stages FA & MS both drove superb races as their tyres would let them. I would even "forgive" his chicane moment - it's a sign of the sheer animal competitiveness of the man. Anyway penalty or no; he got his "reward" when he damaged his car later on with Heidfeld - had he stayed in front of Pedro I'm sure he would have been pulled in for a penalty.

Personally, I think the JB earned his first win with a classy drive from well down the field.

Kubica had an eventful day, but did well..........

All in all, a race where the guys who are supposed to be the best on this earth showed us what they are made of........ 8)

wazojugs

The word from Ferrari after the race was that MS couldn't decide when to go over to grooved tyres from the intermediates and took some time over that decision, even though others had already taken grooves on when he finally decided the team told him to stay out then he crashed out

DaveKillens

Historically, Shu has been known to do certain controversial things in the heat of battle when the title is so close and the pressure is on. Alonso has shown uncharacteristic loss of discipline. Both are feeling the heat, there is a lot at stake between both of them.
It's a shame Shu has a propensity to make contact with cars passing him, for a man as skilled and competent as he is, that kind of contact cannot be explained by temporary loss of control. He never loses control, only when in such circumstances.
And we as fans are witnessing two very human beings doing battle with every tool possible. This is not the clean, antiseptic, mechanical driving we have witnessed in previous races. The human element of the drivers is very much in the forefront, to our entertainment.
But what we saw at Budapest was just great drivng by the best. Both Shu and Alonso put in fantastic driving performances, each demonstrating the top level of Grand Prix driving, only to fall to misfortune and retire. Button also drove an incredible race, he definitely earned a great win in one of the toughest races of the season.
And David Coulthard, bless his cute love struck heart, he took that Red Bull car to fifth, to score four points. Now there's a man who is proving that there is life after McLaren. :wink:

jgredline

Schuey is plain dumb. What a dodo bird. He missed out on a golden oppertunity to close up the gap.

Button finally won a race. Amazing. I never thought he would match alesi
To finish first, first you must finish.

Tom

Well done Jenson. He was lucky but you need both luck and skill to win an F1 race, or there'd be more champions.

Shame for Alonso, but Michael tried something stupid again and lost out big time. Well done De La Rosa, well deserved podium, also to Nick. DC did well again, staying on track, and well done to Robert for points in his first race.

I was told (by a gibbon who thought that Trulli won yesterday) that Massa was disqualified for being underweight. Any truth in it?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Scuderia_Russ

manchild wrote: Alonso Hungaroring 2006 - Senna Donington 1993!
Exactly what I thought. His opening laps were amazing.
manchild wrote:What a race! Kubica was fantastic!
...apart from the spin and the crash you mean?
fwa2500 wrote:and Button wins after that long talk with Jeremy Clarkson last week......wow :shock: .......think they changed the windscreen on the car? lol
Ha-ha I wondered that too!

As for the Schui De La Rosa incident, if you look at it from the helicopter shot, they would have made contact if Schu hadn't cut the chicane. For all we know he might have been waiting on the team to confirm that he had to move over in case he needlessly gave a position up. You know how smart the guy is... always thinking! :wink:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-