Hungarian GP 2006

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Scuderia_Russ

BTW, I'm not suprised Kubicas car was underweight the amount of bodywork he lost throughout the race!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

djones

MS was silly for not just letting Pedro and Nick past but you have to admit it shows what a fighter he is and how much he still wants to win (or in this case finish as high as poss).

It's also fantastic to watch. I was shocked he managed to keep Pedro behind him for so long even though Pedro was upto 3 seconds per lap faster at that point.

RH1300S

So, now the dust has settled does anyone think that there may be clues that MS really plans to retire at the end of this year?

Silly mistakes, overly agressive driving. Perhaps the mark of a man who; on the one hand has a tiny bit of his mind on the fact he won't be driving next year and some added desperation to try and get that eighth title. MS rarely misses golden chances and this was a golden chance to nick a shedload of points towards the title. It should have been game over when FA got his penalty - all he needed to do was keep his head down.......

Also, RB stepping down next year. Todt won't confirm anything about the management. Massa does not seem to be looking for a drive. With Webbo confirmed at Red Bull and Raikkonen looking certain to go to Ferrari (the new Finn Koiva.... to Renault surely?) - who really thinks MS would want to do a year fighting Kimi in the same team?

jgredline

Personally, since Kimi has sighned with ferrari, I think michael will do all he can to win #8 and retire.
To finish first, first you must finish.

mcdenife

I never comment on races and I can tell you that sometimes unfavourable outcomes have left me physically sick for a whole week. Also, I am not a fan of alonso and never believed for one minute the rainmaster tag associated with Shoey (its in the setup more than anything and was proved by Coulthard in Brazil some years ago). But in hungary, I was mighty impressed with alonso (even if he dnf'd) when he passed shuey, ie. when he switched to karting mode - re: the racing lines he took to pass shuey. To my mind he made shuey look like an amateur. oh and I am still not a fan but if indeed he suckered shoey into passing him under red, then I say finally we have someone who can give shuey a dose of his own medicine.....Did I mention that I am still not a fan? Well...Oh yes I am not a fan...............but yesterday someone showed shuey the meaning of class.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

johny

it sounds the better thing for MS, retiring being the number 1, he's being really aggresive specially with DLR and Heidfeld and he wasted a really good opportunity

mcdenife

it doesnt take anything away from him if he does not go out on top because his car (et al) was not up to the task. but yesterday, it seemed he drove like a desperate man.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

bhall

RH1300S wrote:So, now the dust has settled does anyone think that there may be clues that MS really plans to retire at the end of this year?
I think Schumi will retire at the end of the year. Everything seems to point to that.

And he should retire. I think he's in the top three drivers of all time, if not the best. But the competitve spirit and drive that make him so good also cause too many headaches. Frankly, I'm tired of feeling like pulling my Ferrari cap over my face every time he decides that winning is absolutely everything (but realistically, I believe he is accused of more transgressions than he commits, due to reputation).

So he should go. He's already redeemed his poor performace of last year, no matter what the outcome of the World Championship turns out to be.

manchild

Scuderia_Russ wrote:
manchild wrote:What a race! Kubica was fantastic!
...apart from the spin and the crash you mean?
Yes, he had spun several times and crashed but managed to get back on track and finish the race unlike Fisichella whose DNF in Hungary was his 6th from 10 races he drove there :roll:

RH1300S

bhallg2k wrote:
RH1300S wrote:So, now the dust has settled does anyone think that there may be clues that MS really plans to retire at the end of this year?
I think Schumi will retire at the end of the year. Everything seems to point to that.

And he should retire. I think he's in the top three drivers of all time, if not the best. But the competitve spirit and drive that make him so good also cause too many headaches. Frankly, I'm tired of feeling like pulling my Ferrari cap over my face every time he decides that winning is absolutely everything (but realistically, I believe he is accused of more transgressions than he commits, due to reputation).

So he should go. He's already redeemed his poor performace of last year, no matter what the outcome of the World Championship turns out to be.
Well put

Tp
Tp

bhallg2k wrote:I think Schumi will retire at the end of the year. Everything seems to point to that
I disagree, if you're on top of your game like Michael is and you love what you are doing why would you quit? If he wins or doesn't win the championship this year, he still must fancy his chances for next year as there is only a single tyre manufacture and Ferrari being the most competitive team on the tyres, you have to agree Ferrari have a good advantage over the rest.

But saying that, I hope he does retire after this year (only if he wins the championship though :D )
Last edited by Tp on 08 Aug 2006, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix

jgredline wrote:Personally, since Kimi has sighned with ferrari, I think michael will do all he can to win #8 and retire.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that Kimi has officially signed with Ferrari.

Also, great job Jenson, what a terrific display of keeping out of trouble and doing the best with the hand that is delt to you.

What a terrific race weekend and so far, my favorite.

DaveKillens

Behind the scenes, Shu has been pulling every string within Ferrari to keep Kimi out of that team. Think about it, it's no secret Kimi could go to Ferrari if they just signed on the dotted line... what's delaying/stopping them?
Additionally, Shu is playing hardball with his potential future contract within Ferrari. He not only wants premier driver status as in days of the past, but also a deal with Bridgestone that Shu and Ferrari enjoy a favoured status in tires. This is what has been the situation so far these many years, he wants that to stay the same.
Shu still has what it takes, he's still very capable of winning races and titles. But he doesn't want it to be on equal terms with his teammate or tires, he wants as much as an advantage as possible.
But Bridgestone now will supply all teams from next year forward, to still supply tires designed exclusively for the ferrari car and Shu's driving style would bring a loud and common cry of "foul" from every team, something that could not be ignored by Bridgestone and the FIA.
Personally, I believe this is why the delay in Shu making public his plans.
Shu has done great things in the past, bringing so many wins and championships to Bridgestone and Ferrari. He has a very special status. But to demand, still, that he enjoy Ferrari's most favored status is holding that team back from the future. When he eventually does leave, he will leave a huge hole, they need to start putting into place the future, putting in place a driver like Kimi so that the winning tradition still continues.