Turkish GP 2006 - Istanbul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
m3_lover

Turkish GP 2006 - Istanbul

Well.. no alcohol or cigarette advertising on the cars since Turkey is mainly a Muslim society. New livery on Anthony Davidson's Car though

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Principessa

Raikkonen was fastest in the first free practice session. (http://www.f1technical.net/news/3770) But I was mainly surprised (in a pleasant way) by Vettel. He really did well for his first time during a GP weekend. :wink:

m3_lover

Sebastian Vettel may be the youngest driver ever to drive a Formula 1 car in a Grand Prix event, but he has also set another new record on Friday in Turkey, being fined by the FIA stewards just nine seconds after the start of his F1 career. Vettel left the pits at the start of morning practice at 64.3kph, four kph above the limit.

Im not liking the tyre graining on Renault so early in the practice..making me wonder
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tom

I recognise the sponsor on the side of that car. When i went to Turkey PO was everywhere, their version of Shell I think.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

johny

and what about ferrari new wheel rim ring? any pics?

DaveKillens

johny wrote:and what about ferrari new wheel rim ring? any pics?
Yea, it's pretty extreme, almost blanks off the entire inside of the rim. There is a hole, but propbably to allow wheel changes.
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... =1103-1845

They aren't the only ones, Red Bull have something on their rear wheel too.

Tom

Le Mans Prototype rules:
13.5.3 - Removable wheel/hub caps are not permitted.
I'm sure I've seen something similar in F1. Perhaps they're not removable?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Saribro

I was wondering: Do they run this in practice/qualify only ? It seems to me all these rim-covers would make pit stops more troublesome.

gubarak

Tom wrote:I recognise the sponsor on the side of that car. When i went to Turkey PO was everywhere, their version of Shell I think.
yes, PO is one of the biggest companies of Turkey, and they have good products too.. cigarette advertising is prohibited in Turkey - but alcohol is not- and PO took the advantage of it.. they really mean to participate in motorsports it seems

btw, hope the new rim covers are for practice only; they look really bad I think :?

DaveKillens

I would believe those covers are firmly bonded to the wheel, and difficult to remove. If there was any chance of them coming off, the stewards would have a valid reason for banning them.
Maybe the teams are running them in practice just to force the stewards on deciding their legality. But to see them allowed on track, most likely they are allowed. And it doens't make sense to test them on a race wekend, the added unsprung mass and aero changes could alter the race car's characteristics slightly.
I doubt they aid brake cooling this time, that hole is just large enough for the wheel changing equipment.
But it's weird to see Ferrari trying this, comsidering that last race Alonso had to retire because of problems changing a rear wheel.
The Ferrari bargeboards have been heavily revised, with saw-tooth serrations along the upper edge, versus the older smooth lines.

johny

do you remember the canadian gp, a toyota ring went out of the rim

DaveKillens

Exactly, I'm sure the stewards notified all teams that parts coming off wheels is unacceptable.
racing wheels go through incredible punishment, and it is possible they are used for just one race weekend.

Steven
Owner

DaveKillens wrote:They aren't the only ones, Red Bull have something on their rear wheel too.
Actually, that is Toro Rosso. Red Bull did not come up with anything like that yet. You might also want to check the development blog here: http://www.f1technical.net/development/12
I took that pic at Hockenheim, and the ring is unchanged since, apart from their "gives you wings" writing on it ;)

There are already some updates in the development blog about the turkish GP

ginsu

I doubt they aid brake cooling this time, that hole is just large enough for the wheel changing equipment.
I do too, if they really were for brake cooling then they would obviously be on the front wheels as well. I think the reason they run them on the back is exactly because the brakes dont need as much cooling in the rear, and the aerodynamic effect of having a perfectly faired wheel rim is quite substantial...that's why the Honda Insight has the faired in rear wheel arches, I don't think the front matter as much because they split the airstream.
I love to love Senna.

ginsu

Are the upper profiles on the sidepod wing new? They seem to be really draggy, but maybe they are deflecting air from the rear wheels. Also they look like they could be making a vortex the way it's cut, possibly helping something down the line like the rear wing.
I love to love Senna.