Australian GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tom

I'm still not convinced, if the neck supports on the side of the cockpit can support such extreme forces in a sideways impact with a barrier (don't be deluded, in a high speed sideways accident the drivers head has no problem reaching the side of the cockpit, or even the steering wheel) the there is no reason to suppose they couldn't support the same forces acting from another car hitting the helmet.

It was mostly DCs fault, the youtube vid doesn't show it clearly but on TV it was obviouse he was sideways a split second before he hit Wurz, and therefore going too fast. David's front left climber the back of Alex's front right as Ciro explained and obliterated the Scott's suspension in the process, although didn't do too much damage to Wurz'. Alex could have seen it coming sooner, esspecially as he made a mistake on turn 2, alledgedly, so he should have been prepared for someone to take advantage at the next corner. But David took the blame and fair enough, he caused the accident, Wurz just didn't prevent it.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

joseff

Yea Tom but imagine the rear left hit Alex's head. What happens next?
a. Neck instantly snapped to the left
b. Head crushed between left side williams tub and DC's bridgestone
c. HANS works, tyre runs over helmet, helmet stays in one piece, neck compressed (like Frank Williams' accident)

None of the outcomes pleasant. Btw it's amazing both of Alex's mirrors were untouched.

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

does anyone have video of Raikonnen getting out of his car after qualifying and waving to the crowd? It seemed to me that after he waves, he tongue-in-cheek flails his arms in celebration, but almost like he is making fun of ridiculous Schumacher or Alonso celebratory antics. Does anyone else see it that way?

Scuderia_Russ

captainmorgan wrote:does anyone have video of Raikonnen getting out of his car after qualifying and waving to the crowd? It seemed to me that after he waves, he tongue-in-cheek flails his arms in celebration, but almost like he is making fun of ridiculous Schumacher or Alonso celebratory antics. Does anyone else see it that way?
I think taking the piss out of Schumacher and Alonso would be the last thing on anyones mind after doing a Mansell and winning first time out for the Scuderia!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Scuderia_Russ

f1.redbaron wrote:Wow. I think that my heart would've stopped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTvZVq0q96E
I glad we don't have to suffer SPEED T.V!
-Henry Ford-

f1.redbaron

Scuderia_Russ wrote:

You'd be amazed to find out how many people prefer Speed tv's coverage to James 'BUTTON HAS WON THE HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX' Allen's.

Anyways, here is the video of Kimi's celebration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx2unamhSr4

Sodder
Sodder

Scuderia_Russ wrote:

pfffttt.... I <3 speed TV
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

f1.redbaron

^SEE?

Scuderia_Russ

:lol: Fair enough fellas, each to their own. As for the celebration, I think Kimi is so cool and laid back that he sort of half heartedly put his arms in the air then thought , 'you know what, I can't be arsed, I'm just that god damn cool' 8)
-Henry Ford-

nudge
nudge

re- gap to ferrari,

dont think its as big as many suggesting on here. IMO, and the opinion of several people much smarter than i, mclaren are half a second behind in race, half that in qualifying.
Was interesting reading that there is some question of legality over the ferrari floor.
anyways, i suspect mclaren will be closer to ferraris pace by time they get to europe.

saam
saam

I didnt see any negative body language coming from kimi when he steped out of the car after qualifying....

kimi is cool and talks in a constant tone of voice which in turn seems to show no emotion, but we all know what happend with emotions to shumi after a few years at ferrari. IMO If kimi stays long enough he too will start to show the human side, gradually

good race
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

bizadfar
bizadfar

allan wrote:i was listening to the speed commentary, and i heard something a little bit silly:
Massa was going over the chicane before the long flat out left handed curve, and apparently the car jumped over the sides of the curve. According to speed, this damaged the gearbox! i've been watching f1 for 12 years, and this is the first time i hear something like this!! :D :roll:
Happens many times.
Big bumps can shock the gearbox and break it as you know the rear suspension is connected to it.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

You have to commend DC for his honest candor and accepting ownership for the crash. DC is a good man, and a good racer. But even the good ones slip up and make mistakes. And he made a mistake, and it almost resulted in tragedy. It was just a mistake, a racing incident, but boy, was it something else.
In this day and age of rapidly expanding technology where we regularly hear about cool stuff that prolongs life or makes it safer, we sometimes become arrogant in our belief that "it can't happen now". The truth is we can only make it safer, but never completely make it 100% safe.
Many younger fans weren't around in 1994, but trust me, it happens every so often no matter how good the driver and no matter how hard we try to make racing safer. Racing is a glorious sport, but a harsh, harsh mistress who occasionally reaches out and reminds us all of our mortality.

Heikki Kovalainen .... well, it was his first F1 race and he fell on his face like so many other rookies have done. That's what makes Hamilton's first outing so spectacular, that he really didn't screw up so big. The difference between just running half-way over the curb and spinning out is very small, one man did it the other didn't. He will learn, and improve.

mini696

Is anyone disturbed by the comments on the radio by Ferrari to Kimi at the end of the race?

Paraphrasing here. "blah blah blah... next time you hear me Kimi we will be live on television" *pause* "Congratulations Kimi, good race... blah blah blah".

Do the teams really need to warn the drivers that they are going live? I know its not the end of the world but it just irks me that they think we cant handle hearing the other things they have to say.

Not only that it was such a cliched conversation after they said he was live.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Everything in Ferrari is practiced and staged, including the victory celebrations. Personally, I have this mental image of the entire team being choreographed and rehearsed in how they flock to the victory podium after a race. "Let's see, you're a fast runner, you dash to the side of the parc fermee, there, yea, there, and save a place for Todt. The rest, you, you, and you, get along the fence here, here, and here, we want the shortest members alongside Todt so he isn't obscured by the cameras as he smile his benevolence upon everyone...." :roll: