Monaco GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DaveKillens

Wonderful track, wonderful ambience, dull race.
For the entire weekend, when was the exciting part? The last minute of Q3?

ds.raikkonen

Q2 & Q3 both were equally good...
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Principessa

DaveKillens wrote:Wonderful track, wonderful ambience, dull race.
I agree dave, It was kind of a boring race. I expected much more, hopefully we'll see a spectacular race in 2 weeks, when the F1 circus travels to your home country :wink:

monkeyboy1976

It was indeed a bit of damp squib of a race. But then Monaco is usually like this. It's a strange one. The lack of overtaking ops can make it boring but also exciting if the guy behind is much faster than the guy in front.
I was at a friends house over the weekend and I convinced everyone that the Monaco Grand Prix is fantastic and we should all sit round after our hearty hang-over breakfast and watch it. Some were sceptical as they are not at all F1 fans. One girl had never ever seen an F1 race before and I relished in explaining all the rules, driver info etc...
After the first 15 laps most people were looking at me as if to say "why on earth do you watch this rubbish?" I was gutted and hoped for rain or something.
After Alonso came in for his first stop, I made everyone watch and wait as Lewis, on a lighter fuel load, would now push like crazy over the new 5 laps to get out from his stop in front of Alonso. Then McLaren brought him early! I looked like a fool.
No matter how much I told them of the great races I'd seen of Monaco, they were not convinced.
I trully believe that 70% of the people in that room on Sunday are now lost to F1 forever. :(

monkeyboy1976

I think this quote from grandprix.com sums up the frustration of Hamilton and the valid reasoning for McLaren's strategy on Sunday. I wonder if Lewis has the ability to break the shackles that McLaren have on him? Best way to do that is to simply drive faster all weekend than his teammate. I would now happily put money on Lewis winning this year's WDC.
"I was fuelled to go five or six laps longer than Fernando," Hamilton explained after the race. "They stopped me after only three laps, so I lost the time I might have had in which to really open up a gap. That's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. I am looking forward to speaking to my engineers about it because I thought we were going to run shorter in the second stint and we didn't.

"I just did my race and the team took care of it all," Lewis said.

Lewis's charge after the second pit stop showed just how much time might have been gained if the strategy had been played out differently.

But would McLaren have gained anything from a Lewis Hamilton victory?

There would have been more headlines, more coverage, more stress created because more pressmen would want to talk to him. There would have more chance of trouble, too, as a Hamilton win would have put Alonso on the back foot, would have put him under pressure which he does not need. No sir, it was wiser to leave Monte Carlo with 18 points in the kitty and Alonso back in front in the World Championship.

monkeyboy1976

wazojugs wrote: aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh typical the football season is over and they jump on the F1 wagon hoping for a big story of which they know nothing about the sport
Fret not. Big Brother starts tomorrow.

West

monkeyboy1976 wrote:It was indeed a bit of damp squib of a race. But then Monaco is usually like this. It's a strange one. The lack of overtaking ops can make it boring but also exciting if the guy behind is much faster than the guy in front.
I was at a friends house over the weekend and I convinced everyone that the Monaco Grand Prix is fantastic and we should all sit round after our hearty hang-over breakfast and watch it. Some were sceptical as they are not at all F1 fans. One girl had never ever seen an F1 race before and I relished in explaining all the rules, driver info etc...
After the first 15 laps most people were looking at me as if to say "why on earth do you watch this rubbish?" I was gutted and hoped for rain or something.
After Alonso came in for his first stop, I made everyone watch and wait as Lewis, on a lighter fuel load, would now push like crazy over the new 5 laps to get out from his stop in front of Alonso. Then McLaren brought him early! I looked like a fool.
No matter how much I told them of the great races I'd seen of Monaco, they were not convinced.
I trully believe that 70% of the people in that room on Sunday are now lost to F1 forever. :(
F1 is usually like that; the more predictable the front runners, the less exciting the race. I fall asleep on almost every race now, even when they show them in the afternoon over here.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

ginsu

The race probably wouldn't have been so boring if there had been the tire competition that there was last year. Unfortunately, everybody pretty much has the same pace so unless a mistake is made, the person on pole is 99% likely to win this year....and weren't the FIA trying to make F1 more exciting? Good job guys!
I love to love Senna.

mx_tifoso

IIRC, All of the front runners (FA,LH,FM,KR) had a fresh engine for Monaco. This might be encouraging news for Ferrari because as we could tell from this weekend Massa wasn't pushing the limits as Alonso and Hamilton were doing. I'm not sure how hard Raikkonen was pushing, but I kind of hope we wasnt pressuring the F2007 too much.

Monaco doesnt give an accurate reflection of a teams performance, so as soon as the next GP's roll around everyone will show their true colors and Ferrari will get back to winning, with Massa I hope, and Raikkonen providing DC support for him with consistent podiums. The '07 CC is still within reach for us. As long as Raikkonen steps up and shows what he is made of now that he is in the Ferrari seat, so far he hasnt impressed, besides OZ.

Besides the dissapointment of a Ferrari 3rd and 8th place, it was nice to see Alonso get on the top podium, he seemed really happy, best luck to him as well, he truly deserved it.

Scuderia Ferrari 2007 CC
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

West

The only good thing about the race was Renault's fourth place. Very encouraging; hopefully this isn't a one-off and they'll get some podiums before the end of the season. For some reason I think Fisichella is driving much better than before.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

pRo

mx_tifosi wrote:IIRC, All of the front runners (FA,LH,FM,KR) had a fresh engine for Monaco.
I think you're right. IIRC, there has been only three blown engines this year, both Hondas and other Aguri, which were on their 2nd engine here.
(and apparently Renault blew an engine in Monaco, which is why Kovalainen pitted in the end)

This might be encouraging news for Ferrari because as we could tell from this weekend Massa wasn't pushing the limits as Alonso and Hamilton were doing.
Monaco is VERY easy on the engine. I think it's the track where you can keep the throttle down the least amount of time, so even when you are pushing it, it's easier to the engine as "cruising" on another track, like the next two races in US&CAN.

Another thing to consider is that by running fast and not staying behind other cars, you might actually save your engine by feeding it fresh air most of the time.

I don't think the engine will be of any issue for any of the top cars. Surely bot because of Monaco anyway.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Kass

tickets

hi, i really want to go to Monaco gp nxt year.. do you know how to get places like the buildings or at the sides.. its not the official seats.; i wonder how do people get em. IMO they give better view than the normal seats//

anyone can shed some light?

dumrick

Re: tickets

Kass wrote:hi, i really want to go to Monaco gp nxt year.. do you know how to get places like the buildings or at the sides.. its not the official seats.; i wonder how do people get em. IMO they give better view than the normal seats//

You just have to Google for it. It usually is all over the Internet. FYI, this year's prices were about €1.500,00 for a place at a balcony. To sleep over at a close-by building would take about €6.000,00.

Mikey_s

I sincerely hope that McLaren are not penalised for the 'team orders' fiasco. Even as a dyed in the wool Ferrari fan I think the Maccas were the class of the field and frankly Hamilton had no chance to get past Alonso. As such I think it was pefectly in line for Dennis to tell them to hold station... at the end of the day the team boss should be able to tell the drivers to do what is best for the team. I cannot see that the outcome of the race was manipulated - and hamilton has already said that he clipped the armco a few times... it would have been crazy to throw away 8 points (maybe even 18 points and hand a further 7 to Ferrari) by a banzai attempt to get past Alonso.

OK, make an example of Dennis and fine them a few quid, but for pity's sake please don't take points, or disqualify them... (not to mention the inevitable outcry that would follow of Ferrari favouritism!).
Mike

f1.redbaron

Re: tickets

dumrick wrote:
Kass wrote:hi, i really want to go to Monaco gp nxt year.. do you know how to get places like the buildings or at the sides.. its not the official seats.; i wonder how do people get em. IMO they give better view than the normal seats//

You just have to Google for it. It usually is all over the Internet. FYI, this year's prices were about €1.500,00 for a place at a balcony. To sleep over at a close-by building would take about €6.000,00.
just out of curiosity, has anybody looked into the possibility of renting a station wagon (estate), and sleeping in it over the course of the weekend. I know, it sounds barbaric, but for those of us who want to see the Monaco GP, and are on a budget, that seems to be the only option.

How legal is something like that in France (it should be noted, that I have no intention of parking a car in Monaco, but rather somewhere away from the action - Italy, or Nice.