Canadian GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
vyselegend

Canadian GP 2007

From the last news it seems the risk of rain have droped down for the week end, so we should have a dry race.

So far nothing unusual, still Macca and Ferrari on top, with the silver arrows becoming races after races the new benchmark.
I hope we'll have as much action as last year, when a degradating asphalt led to some thrilling fights in the slippery last hairpin...

Makes me a bit sad that JV isn't part of it, but I guess it's time for new canadian talent to show up.

allan
allan

i couldn't watch any of the sessions... speed coverage was blacked out...
does anybody know how to watch the Canadian Gp in Canada? i know it sounds rediculous :lol:

checkered

I actually thought

that the melting/graining/whatever it was doing asphalt looked very dangerous towards the end of the race ... bits an pieces could've been thrown into the audience, while driving an F1 car on pebbles between two armco walls isn't such a good idea either, generally speaking. I fully expected the race stewards to cut the race short and was surprised that they didn't.

In the 2nd practice, looking at the sector times, Alonso, Massa, Rosberg, Barrichello, Fisichella and Sato managed a "perfect lap", for whatever they were trying to do. For Hamilton, Raikkonen, Heidfeld and Webber the best compound sector times were better than their best so if they get it together there's clearly room for improvement.

Of these, it has to be said, only Webber's compound time (or ideal lap) would've put him higher in the standings, from 9th to 7th ... but practice is practice.

checkered

Toyota's people didn't

sound reassured (albeit they tried to sound reassuring) at all that they'll be able to figure out what the trouble was with their front susp fragmenting into pieces going over a kerb. I don't know if they're running a lower drag geometry or something, but the problem surely isn't small if Trulli had to hastily urge the team to pit Ralf too, citing the situation as "dangerous".

Kovy made a bit of a rookie mistake (not that he was the only one to make contact), thinking that he'd cleared the turn that went just wide enough to get the car on the slippery side, staying on throttle while the concrete kerb gave way to grass ... and the rest was physics. Quite spectacular at that, it's not often that one sees such sparks fly with front wheel contact.

Rubens was bafflingly fast in comparison to Jense. The SPEED tv commentators had a bizarre idea about Honda having managed to build one new tub/chassis. It would've then gone to Rubens for the weekend, as Button is supposed to have been against designing a completely new car as opposed to trying to make the old one faster, while Barrichello has been supportive of scrapping the old plan.

Frankly, sounds farfetched to me, but keep a casual eye out on possible physical differences between the two Hondas.

GTO

Allan,
you can watch it on TSN as usual.
Sat. qual. starts at 1pm EST.
Sun. pre-race coverage begins at 12:30pm EST.

http://www.tsn.ca/broadcast/schedule/?c ... /2007&tz=0

I'm really surprised by the McLarens pace. Mercedes sure have made a significant improvement to their powerplant for this year. Plus great chassis & drivers combination.

Ferrar too have done well considering all their pre season personell changes. I must say the car looks stunning in old scarlet red color.

It should be a fantastic race. I can't wait for qualifying.

allan
allan

GTO wrote:Allan,
you can watch it on TSN as usual.
Sat. qual. starts at 1pm EST.
Sun. pre-race coverage begins at 12:30pm EST.

http://www.tsn.ca/broadcast/schedule/?c ... /2007&tz=0

I'm really surprised by the McLarens pace. Mercedes sure have made a significant improvement to their powerplant for this year. Plus great chassis & drivers combination.

Ferrar too have done well considering all their pre season personell changes. I must say the car looks stunning in old scarlet red color.

It should be a fantastic race. I can't wait for qualifying.
10x bud ;)

hatchet man
hatchet man

Yes, it was extremely annoying to find out that Speed TV's coverage of Friday practice was blacked out (in Canada) AND that TSN was broadcasting a bowling tournament!!!.

For those of you who also suffer the pain of Canadian programming, the alternate TSN channel may help if you have access to it.

The TSN alternate feed is available on the following channels:

Bell ExpressVu - channel 402
Access - digital channel 264
Star Choice - channel 401
Rogers - digital channel 401
Mountain Cable - digital channel 60
Cogeco (Ontario) - 156
Eastlink - 100
Access - 264
Persona (Ontario) - 500
Westman - 290
Delta Cable - 295
Aurora Cable - 218
Source Cable - 116
Coast Cable - 295
Seaside Communications - 100
Novus - 147
Amtelecom - 110
Compton - 514
Kincardine Cable - 399
Bluewater TV Cable - 64
Ex-Cen Cablevision - 64
Mitchell-Seaforth Cable - 420
Grand Bend Cable - 420
Ward Cable TV - 420
Execulink - 128
CRRS TV - 413
Milk River Cable - 401

m3_lover

I checked on my guide on the t.v and speed is blacked out but tsn will show the qualifying and race...I also believe the the french channels will show the race too they did last year. Also how come none of the F1 drivers are on the show off the record on TSN that would be nice to watch..the only driver I have seen is JV and he did a plug for his restaurant.

As for toyota..if it happens once then it is okay but it happened twice..so obviously there is a problem I believe they identified it as the front upright..and since they are on the other side of the altantic ocean they just can not fly the parts from the factory as they usually can and it is very hard to strengthen that part at the rack...I really hope they can race tomorrow and sunday and not have to sit out. Does anybody have a video of Marc Webber and Scott Speed crashing into each other? The war of words between them are funny right now.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

vyselegend

checkered wrote:I actually thought

that the melting/graining/whatever it was doing asphalt looked very dangerous towards the end of the race ... bits an pieces could've been thrown into the audience, while driving an F1 car on pebbles between two armco walls isn't such a good idea either, generally speaking. I fully expected the race stewards to cut the race short and was surprised that they didn't.
Yes it was impressive I remember parts of destroyed asphalt were lying hiden in the marbles of gum. Some were stones large enough to damage a WRC car's suspention, I can't dare to imagine the result with a formula one car... Fortunately it didn't happen.
By the way, have the track been resurfaced? Or is there more of these "bandages"(forgot the name) through the lap? I haven't seen practice on TV.

Speaking about TV, what do you canadians means by "blacked out", the program was replaced by something else or did the screen really turn black?
Anyway, don't cry, it could be worse, you could be french :wink: Here the channel bearing the diffusion rights simply canceled the two american GPs because of some election down there... Sunday I have to invite myself (by force if needed) to some "eurosport granted" place.
I think I have already said it in some other threads but it needs to be expressed again. TF1 SU*KS! :evil:

. On the Toyota subject, I fear that if they determine the failure is the consequence of some design flaw, they won't be able to race. One thing I have a doubt on: Did they test this suspention at the Paul Ricard session? Because I remember a Renault member (C.Silk I think) told the Ricard's layout used to simulate Montreal presented only a few similitude to Gille Villeneuve's layout, but was fitted with similar kerbs in the high speed chicanes, thus providing a good base to understand the suspention contraints.

I feel sorry for them. Toyota grew up slowly, but surely. In 2005 they were the third force of the grid (although they are classed 4th because of the us GP farce's points for Ferrari.), but the Bridgestone switch last year cut their progression down, and they seem to have started from scratch again, as if four years experience was canceled.

m3_lover

Yep the screen is black and it says that a blackout is in effect. They don't change the program because other viewers in North America (U.S region) still get the speed channel feed but don't have a another network showing the same program, so they get to watch the F1 race/qualifying from speeds point of view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_% ... casting%29

look under CFL..now that is messed
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Principessa

Did anyone find a picture of Heikki's crash?

pRo

Principessa wrote:Did anyone find a picture of Heikki's crash?
Saw it live, on tv that is. I do have one pic from his onboard camera. I can email that to you if you wish?

Edit: On a 2nd thought, check your pm, cause I'll be offline for the rest of the day. 8)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

checkered

Here's a link to the

friday press conference transcript. Really interesting stuff (well, at least to me), with Jacky Eeckelaert (Honda), Sam Michael (Williams), Willy Rampf (BMW Sauber) and Pat Symonds (Renault) discussing the 2011 proposals and other stuff in some depth. I especially enjoyed Symonds' comments ... much that I could've commented on various threads here, but now I'm just not up to it so read it yourselves. F1 journos are going to report what was being said there as "news" all through the week anyway (to fill in when there's nothing else to report), so you'll be saving yourselves some trouble, too, by going over that chat in its entirety now.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59538

Ps. There seems to be a screenshot of Kovy's brush with the wall on the official F1 site.

checkered

Hm, lots going on in the

Saturday practice. No.1 surprise in my books is both Super Aguris in top 10, with especially Sato less than a second from the top, improving a whopping 1.445 secs (whereas the avg. "showing good form improvement" seems to be around a second or so). No. 2 surprise is BMW Sauber's lackluster speed, both drivers out of top 10.

Hamilton's time was pretty stellar 0.388 secs above the rest, the next 11 places being within a single second of each other! Alonso may have tipped his hand a bit early, though, managing an improvement of 0.085 only ... though at this rate, top quali times are going to sink into low 1.15's. RBR doing well, now if only they'd be reliable ...

waynes
waynes

i believe a renault grenaded? any pictures? im in work

thanks