Canadian GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
m3_lover

pRo wrote:Finally a lucky day for Heikki after all the issues he has gone through! :D

Did Alonso lose a gear at the end though? At first he seemed clearly faster than the Ferrari and was looking to overtake...and suddenly Kimi starts to pull away and Alonso seems VERY slow when accelerating from a slow corner, but fine elsewhere. I'm surprised Ralf didn't overtake him as well, but then again, he's Ralf.. :roll:
I think they said that Alonso tried to pass Kimi on a turn and missed it or either he hit the marbles and lost time . The reason that Sato beat Alonso/RSC was the tyres and he was seriously catching up to Kimi
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

pRo

m3_lover wrote:The reason that Sato beat Alonso/RSC was the tyres and he was seriously catching up to Kimi
It just seemed like he had a technical issue, cause he was very slow on accelerating from all slow corners, for several laps. I did saw the comment about tyres, but it seemed to me like there was more to it. He seemed slow only when trying to accelerate from slow speeds, not in the corner itself or braking into it.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

ketanpaul

WHY ON EARTH THE KUBICA'S CAR WENT AIRBORNE BEFORE IN HIT ANYTHING???

Thumbnail, click to enlarge.

...and that reminded me of Senna's crash. Any lessons? The curb is launching the car in the air and into the damn wall and that is called safety? he wasn't driving since he left the asphalt... he was a passenger Rolling Eyes

PS: what's the point in run-off areas if cars fly over them?
There is something wrong with the curbs in Canada man, even in the sim games, I have sometimes gone airborne just because I was a little more aggressive on the curbs :D :D

ViiKING
ViiKING

pRo wrote:Finally a lucky day for Heikki after all the issues he has gone through! :D

Did Alonso lose a gear at the end though? At first he seemed clearly faster than the Ferrari and was looking to overtake...and suddenly Kimi starts to pull away and Alonso seems VERY slow when accelerating from a slow corner, but fine elsewhere. I'm surprised Ralf didn't overtake him as well, but then again, he's Ralf.. :roll:
I think Kimki picked up some debri from Kubicas car that got stuck in his front wing making it understeer a lot. That`s why FA caught him so easilly. But once the debri was removed KR was able to go much quicker.

Great pass by Sato on FA. A real classic outbreakingmanouver. KR lost a position to Sato due to sliding wide losing traction under breaking due to the spill removing powder put down after Kubicas accident.

Really Alonso drove like a rookie for 2/3 of this GP. I think he is rattelled by Hamiltons confidens.

Hamilton = perfect drive all weekend in a perfect car.

Maybe Ron Dennis regrets giving FA preferential treatment and team orders in his favour in tha past GP`s of this season?

Because Hamilton looks more like a champion than Alonso right now.

VK

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Well, this race in Montreal sure wasn't the dull Monaco event of a few week's previous. If anything, it had too much going on, too much happening all the time. I feel sorry for the types who prefer a procession interspersed by pit stop excitement, it must have been very confusing for them. because I sure the heck had to keep checking, and checking to stay up with all the action.
After this event, drivers either have a huge grin, or are gloomy and depressed. Driver of the race, Hamilton for never putting a foot wrong, for mainting his concentration,a nd getting that huge first win. Jenson who? Pass of the race, maybe the year? Obviously and entertainingly Sato, who knew Alonso was vunderable, and not willing to throw it all away in one corner. Scariest moment goes to Kubica, and I sure hope he heals quickly, after that crash that left most of us in shock and trepidation. Most uninspired race by Kimi, who repeated his Monaco performance, seemingly devoid of any enthusiasm or inspiration.
And I wonder who the happiest team owner is, Ron Dennis for Hamilton's win, or Sir Frank, for finally climbing out of the cellar to once again have some semblance of respectability.

pRo

DaveKillens wrote:And I wonder who the happiest team owner is, Ron Dennis for Hamilton's win, or Sir Frank, for finally climbing out of the cellar to once again have some semblance of respectability.
Ron didn't seem too happy, I suppose he didn't like what happened to Alonso.

pRo

Ray wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHA! The doctor who treated Robert is none other than Ron Denis.

Sorry. Found that really funny for some reason. Hope he gets well soon!
I believe his name is Ronald Denis.

Spencifer_Murphy

Great Race, Great Result, and Great 2 hear Robert Kubica is ok.

A bit off topic but I thought I'd share with you some of the expert views of youtube users:

"JV won 4 in his first year, nearly the championship too, he won it the year after then did nothing for the rest of his career"
"I Agree he [Lewis] will be nothing more than another Jaqcues"
"People saying Hamiltion is better than Schumi are stupid, Schumi was the best, noone will ever be better, his car's the best that's why Hamilton is doing so well."
"Yes he has got a MUUUUCH better car, thats all it is."

These so called experts forget that
1. JV's carear went down the pan after his ill judged attempt to make BAR a competitive team, the whole bloody Honda motor company can't even do that.
2. Lewis is equalling or beating his reigning double world chamion team mate in equal machinary, who btw is probably a better driver than Damon Hill (as much as I'm a huge Hill fan, its pretty black & white FA's a faster driver)
3. Didn't Schumi also freqently have a big car advantage? Car advantages mean nothing, you get the fast cars because you deserve them, just like Schumi.

YouTube is a great place for an "expert" opinion. Go there to see great examples of wit, tact, and constructive critisim LMAO!!! The best ones tend to be "Schumi is god on earth", "No Senna is god you [insert rude word here]", and oh we can'r forget "7world titles Bah! I can driver better than Schumi!" which often brings us full circle to "Schumi is god on earth, you chat s**t you [insert yet another rude word]."

Back to the race itself:
Wurz quietly drove a solid race, but I though Nico also did a stellar job, also Taku Sato, wonderful drive. I loved James Allen's commentary on ITV:
"I'll repeat, Takuma Sato in a Super Aguri is in front of, and lapping faster, than Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari."
(Said in slight disbelief)

Speaking of which, any idea's on what was up with Kimi, I know the Ferrari's weren't great all weekend, but Kimi seemed to have an even more chaotic race than Fernando.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

pRo

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Speaking of which, any idea's on what was up with Kimi, I know the Ferrari's weren't great all weekend, but Kimi seemed to have an even more chaotic race than Fernando.
He hit Massa on the start and it seemed like he had an issue with the front wing.

Spencifer_Murphy

Yeah, but I didn't think it could have caused THAT big a problem. Maybe it just all knocked his focus more than anything.

Speaking of the Ferrari front wing, DID YOU SEE HOW MUCH IT FLEXED when Kimi hit Massa?!

Talk about Flexi-Wings!

lol, and no I'm not suggesting it is in any way illegal. It just suprised me how much apparent punishment it could undergo, I though it would have snapped? or at least broken in some sort of visible way.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

pRo

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Yeah, but I didn't think it could have caused THAT big a problem. Maybe it just all knocked his focus more than anything.

Speaking of the Ferrari front wing, DID YOU SEE HOW MUCH IT FLEXED when Kimi hit Massa?!

Talk about Flexi-Wings!

lol, and no I'm not suggesting it is in any way illegal. It just suprised me how much apparent punishment it could undergo, I though it would have snapped? or at least broken in some sort of visible way.
Yeah, it did seem...well, flexy. :lol: I just thought it couldn't have been too good after that. :?

vyselegend

Kimi, who complained about bad grip at the start, sustained damage to his front wing after making contact with Massa's rear.
He was then the biggest looser of the first safety car period, losing places to Fisi and Kubica while waiting behind Massa in the pits.
After Kubica's crash, he was unlucky enough to stick some big debris in his front wing (was pretty visible on the left side), which disturbed front left brake's cooling (hence why he locked front left wing several time when pressured by FA at the end), and also it caused understeer at speed.

All in all, I think we can say he had quite a bad week end... Seems he had brought his black cat in the car, while Davidson had a beaver to deal with...

Speaking of Davidson, anyone mentionned when he pitted (last time), there was nobody!! he lost several seconds waiting for the crew to regroup.
Strange, when I watch back at this race, I realise there were A LOT of events that usually are discussed, but there was so much to speak about this time that plenty of race facts have gone unnoticed.

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

vyselegend wrote: Speaking of Davidson, anyone mentionned when he pitted (last time), there was nobody!! he lost several seconds waiting for the crew to regroup.
Strange, when I watch back at this race, I realise there were A LOT of events that usually are discussed, but there was so much to speak about this time that plenty of race facts have gone unnoticed.
I think Ant lost the back end of his car a bit going into the final chicane. Going into the pit lane was his escape route. Team were not expecting him.

Correction:
From Ant himself:-
Anthony Davidson commented, "It is such a shame about the beaver. It had it in for me for sure! I was running in third place at the time, behind the safety car. I was on a clear, one stop strategy and it damaged the front wing. I couldn't even see it at high speed and I could not understand why suddenly I locked up the front tyres and so I had to come in to the pitlane.
:shock:

pRo

vyselegend wrote:Speaking of Davidson, anyone mentionned when he pitted (last time), there was nobody!! he lost several seconds waiting for the crew to regroup.
Yeah, he had hit a...I don't know the english word for the small animals that can sometimes be seen on the track. He drove straight into the pits after that and got a new front wing.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice it had already been answered. :oops:

manchild
manchild

I think that organizers could take some measures to save wild animals and prevent accidents. Perhaps they could spray outer edges of the circuit complex with some scent that would be repelling to wild animals and prevent them from crossing the sprayed zone? I'm not joking at all.