French GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Saribro

pRo wrote:Anyone have the times for Massa's and Kimi's 2nd pitstops? Massa is nagging that he thinks his 2nd stop took longer than it should've.
Massa was 9s and Kimi 7.1s IIRC.

ds.raikkonen

vyselegend wrote:Globaly a boring race, appart for Alonso's overtaking moves, and the awakening of Raikonen...
Thats Circuit De Nevers for you! Less o.t. opportunities, wait, only 1 corner for that-the Hairpin, except Alonso made it stick on another corner.These days, after o.t. on the first lap, they follow each other for the rest of the race, the only exciting part being the pit stops, where someone gets past someone
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

pRo

vyselegend wrote:No I think it is forbidden to cross the chekered flag in the pit lane. Not sure though...
Or maybe it is simply just forbidden to pit on the last lap, which in the end means the same.
I do remember certain someone coming into the pits on the last lap, crossing the finish line, getting the chequered flag, winning the race. And after that taking the stop and go penalty. :lol:

I'm not sure if the rules have changed since. Anyone?
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

modbaraban

allan wrote:
abarth850 wrote:
allan wrote:r u kidding me? :D if he does, i'll climb my building's stairs (34 floors!) wearing nothing but my underwear :D :lol:
time to check for skidmarks :lol:
i thought nobody would remember that :D :lol:
i'll do it first thing in the morning, and post some pics here :D
Am I the only one waiting for the 'spy shots' here? :lol:

vyselegend

pRo wrote:
I do remember certain someone coming into the pits on the last lap, crossing the finish line, getting the chequered flag, winning the race. And after that taking the stop and go penalty. :lol:

I'm not sure if the rules have changed since. Anyone?
Haha I was thinking to it also, but I'm almost sure rules have changed then. (like the "swerving rule" occured after a MS performance too) The fact is I heard a commentator make the same suggestion than Tom back to the season's start in Australia, and he was answeared a big NO by the others. Unfortunately I'm far too lazy to check the rule book :P , sorry...

Cyco

Was I the only one to hear Massa complain he couldn't get within a second of the car in front to lap them, when Alonso spent many at 0.5 seconds trying to pass?

Does this mean the McLaren is less affected by other cars, or just Massa needed to get on with the job an stop stuffing about?

dumrick

Cyco wrote:Was I the only one to hear Massa complain he couldn't get within a second of the car in front to lap them, when Alonso spent many at 0.5 seconds trying to pass?

Does this mean the McLaren is less affected by other cars, or just Massa needed to get on with the job an stop stuffing about?
I don't believe it is any different. At some point, we could see Alonso loosing severely his front end (of the car...) at Estoril turn, just trying to get in place for a tow in the straight before Adelaide.

pRo

dumrick wrote:
Cyco wrote:Was I the only one to hear Massa complain he couldn't get within a second of the car in front to lap them, when Alonso spent many at 0.5 seconds trying to pass?

I don't believe it is any different. At some point, we could see Alonso loosing severely his front end (of the car...) at Estoril turn, just trying to get in place for a tow in the straight before Adelaide.
It's worth taking note of Alonsos driving lines, when he's behind someone, trying to pass. He searches for different lines around the corners, instead of just following the car ahead of him. I believe he's trying to find cleaner air, to keep the pace on the corner and then hoping to draft the car in the following straight. I'm not expert on aerodynamics and I've never driven a car with serious downforce, so I'd appreciate other views on this matter.

Massa (and he's not the only one) seem to have only one line, they keep driving it even behind others. And then complain that overtaking is impossible.

Maybe that's the reason why Alonso could get closer, while Massa couldn't?

allan

good point pro..
but the way alonso was taking "Different" lines was just random. I cannot find another word to describe it, and i heard a commenter saying the same"rather untidy". Alonso was driving untidily and desperately throughout the whole weekend. Look at the way he was trying to pass the cars ahead of him on the herpin. It took him what? 3, 4 laps? even more to get past them, and making the same mistake by taking the outside line. While hamilton did it from the very first time, by forcing his nose, or his car's nose ;), into the inside of the corner.
This is my personal opinion, i dont know about yours guys...
Hey i did take the shots, but how the hell do u upload them here??:S(i didnt make till the end, i got tired by the 18th floor!)

modbaraban

Some of the Alonso's manouvers were quite brilliant. Like when he passed Heidfeldt in that fast-sweeping chicane! But sometimes he was really untidy indeed... not to mention his last stint when he struggled to keep his car between the white lines :roll:
allan wrote:Hey i did take the shots, but how the hell do u upload them here??:S(i didnt make till the end, i got tired by the 18th floor!)
If that's the problem ...

option 1:
upload pics here http://www.imageshack.us/

then post what you'll find in DIRECT LINK: wrapped in this tag - [img]direct%20link%20here[/img]

option 2:
send your story along with the pics to BBC they gonna appreciate this :lol:

johny

he had a very long 3rd stint because they changed strategy from 3 stops to 2, so he had a heavier car. His weekend wasn't a good one, with many issues with colder track and mechanical failures. Anyways mclaren were eclipsed by ferrari pace

Tp
Tp

allan wrote:
abarth850 wrote:
allan wrote:r u kidding me? :D if he does, i'll climb my building's stairs (34 floors!) wearing nothing but my underwear :D :lol:
time to check for skidmarks :lol:
i thought nobody would remember that :D :lol:
i'll do it first thing in the morning, and post some pics here :D
Ahh crap, you're not the only one who was wrong...
Tp wrote:If Massa does get pole on Saturday, which is looking plausible going off their pace in Friday's practice, he'll most probably win on Sunday.

If he doesn't get pole, even if the Ferrari's pace is slightly better than that of the Mclaren, I think the Mclaren will be the favourites. Through being strategically superior, Massa's incompetence at overtaking and Alonso and Hamilton being more consistent throughout the grand prix.

Tom

Alonso was bothering the other drivers in an attempt to provoke a mistake out of them. It shows he's supremely confident that he won't lose the car himself and if you watch it worked a few times (i.e. Nick).

This was a much better tactic before traction control and semi-auto gearboxes where there was far more to worry about and the pressure of another driver shagging your gearbox would be terrifying.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

pRo

allan wrote:good point pro..
but the way alonso was taking "Different" lines was just random. I cannot find another word to describe it, and i heard a commenter saying the same"rather untidy". Alonso was driving untidily and desperately throughout the whole weekend.
That's why I was wondering about it. At first it seemed untidy. Then it seemed systematic. Trying one thing, then another. Then realizing what worked and doing it for few laps. And driving "tidy" when not trying to pass anyone.

Look at the way he was trying to pass the cars ahead of him on the herpin. It took him what? 3, 4 laps? even more to get past them, and making the same mistake by taking the outside line.
Yes. It's a great thing that he could overtake, right? Especially when others say they couldn't get within a second of another car to even try to pass. I'm sure he would've taken the inside line, if there was room. Of course the first guy takes the inside line and forces the other guy outside, the first guy would look silly, if he didn't.

Hey i did take the shots, but how the hell do u upload them here??:S(i didnt make till the end, i got tired by the 18th floor!)
Try http://imageshack.us/ ;)

modbaraban

pRo wrote:
Try http://imageshack.us/ ;)
Try viewtopic.php?t=4434 :wink: