Italian GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
manchild

Trulli 9th, Ralf 18th - money for nothing... and the chicks for free

pnagy

How did honda quali so well?

kimi_khodr_raikkonen

kimi is the best

modbaraban

pnagy wrote:How did honda quali so well?
That kinda proves scarbs' opinion that their shassis stiffness is more than okay and the aero is the problem.

Carlos

Once again F1Technical did a superb job of covering testing and qualifying, accompanied by our Forum's excellent commentary but my opinion may a little biased as BMW and Williams; my favourite teams - did very, very well. :D

yzfr7

"Q: (Fabritsio Lazakis - Four Wheels) Felipe, it has been said that Ferrari has problems over the kerb here. Is that the problem or is there anything else?

Massa: Well, I think for sure, if you look at the McLarens over the kerbs they look pretty strong, so we try to have a good car over the kerbs, but sometimes it is not so easy to have the right line over the kerbs and so the car is jumping a bit. It is something we saw also in Canada. So it is not the first time we have seen it. We are working to improve the car day by day."

Interesting remark by Massa. Raikkonen must be strugling a lot with this problem, as he was always very agressive over the kerbs during his McLaren days.
Speculating a bit, can it be an old problem for Ferrari? Remember Barrichelo weird rear suspension failure some years ago and Ferrari weirdest note putting the blame on he being too agressive on the kerbs?
pax

manchild

yzfr7 wrote:Speculating a bit, can it be an old problem for Ferrari? Remember Barrichelo weird rear suspension failure some years ago and Ferrari weirdest note putting the blame on he being too agressive on the kerbs?
Hehe... When was that, in 2004? Umm... Bridgestone promised to make tyres for 2007 not having a thing to do with the ones from previous season but not from 2004. Another hint that 2007 tyres are 2004 tyres.

modbaraban

manchild wrote:
yzfr7 wrote:Speculating a bit, can it be an old problem for Ferrari? Remember Barrichelo weird rear suspension failure some years ago and Ferrari weirdest note putting the blame on he being too agressive on the kerbs?
Hehe... When was that, in 2004? Umm... Bridgestone promised to make tyres for 2007 not having a thing to do with the ones from previous season but not from 2004. Another hint that 2007 tyres are 2004 tyres.
That was Hungarian GP 2003 where Alonso won having lapped Schoey.

mx_tifoso

tomislavp4 wrote:I hope bmw will be atleast 4th, not the standard 5 and 6 :D

For pole and victory, some of the ferraris :wink:
Tomislavp4, your first wish has been granted for qualifying, lets hope the second will be too, the victory part, because pole is out of the question now.

I see your point Manchild, for some time now I have questioned the positioning and the safety of the track marshalls too. They remain unprotected and are positioned in very risky locations around the circuits. On many occasions there have been very close calls when a car goes off-course. There should be a campaign to advance their safety as well, not only the drivers.

I am short of words at the moment, we will keep our heads up high and continue to wish Ferrari the best results possible. I'm glad Raikkonen is unhurt and that there were no more accidents.
This weekend remains salvageable at the hands of both the Ferrari drivers and the mechanics, P3 and P5 aren't bad at all.......Forza Ferrari.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

modbaraban

About the marshals. The position itself isn't that scary. The only way to be hit by a car is a car being launched over the barrier. What was scary is the distance. They could be easily hit by debris, like a wing or a whell! (happened before in della Rogia) :?

vyselegend

The Ferrari makes a really sudden move to the right, but it hasn't travelled ~60cm to the right that Kimi is already countersteering, which makes me wonder if he hasn't feel something wrong before the car loosing it to the right. (suspention flaw, or tyre failure?).

But while looking the qualy on eurosport, I heard Jacques Laffite pointing our attention to a bump on the track, right at the place where the Ferrari jerked away, and when I paid attention I actually spotted it, notably with Trulli, the front right tyre clearly moving over the bump.

I think it's a possibility during the ascari braking the bump made the front right to brake a little bit more than the left (because of the ascending part of it), resulting in the car turning in (kind of) the same way than a war tank.
What do you think of it?

Or in a more simplier way the constraint exerced on the tyre while hitting the bump just made the front axle briefly turn right, but I'm sure drivers are holding their steering wheel pretty tight during braking like ascari or turn one (especially with this low downforce setting), so I don't see Kimi "loosing it to the bump" easily.

modbaraban

Kimi Raikkonen wrote:I locked the wheels under braking and the car went right rather than left. At that moment there was not much I could do but accept that I would end up in the barrier.
The bump must have caused the tire to lose grip during rebound and therefore lock. The steering turned even the tinyest bit would make the car spin in such situation (esp. with such setup). Also at that very place the drivers turn slightly to the right to get a wider entry line.
I had such crashes in Monza (in race sims) even after sticking 1st gear too early! The handling under braking is horrible compared to normal tracks, it's sooo easy to lose control! :wink:

Tom

I think what happens is the floor of the car hits the bump and for a split second the rear wheels are off the ground, however at 180mph a split second carries you several meters and when the wheels came down again they were out of line with the front so the car has a new direction.

In this case the rears landed maybe a cm or less to the left of the original line, suddenly the car is facing a degree or 2 off centre, and as the wheels spin on landing the sideways movement is amplified, the result, exit stage right.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

waynes

sorry but i firmly believe the right rear brake failed and sent kimi into the wall

mahesh248

[quote="modbaraban"][quote="Kimi Raikkonen"]I locked the wheels under braking and the car went right rather than left. At that moment there was not much I could do but accept that I would end up in the barrier.[/quote]
The bump must have caused the tire to lose grip during [i]rebound[/i] and therefore lock. The steering turned even the tinyest bit would make the car spin in such situation (esp. with such setup). Also at that very place the drivers turn slightly to the right to get a wider entry line.
I had such crashes in Monza (in race sims) even after sticking 1st gear too early! The handling under braking is horrible compared to normal tracks, it's sooo easy to lose control! :wink:[/quote]

Use engine breaks ...it will helps u also use bigger disc size .. In RH 05 i havde done 1.17.9