Chinese GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
waynes

Chinese GP 2007

so will lewis wrap it up? i personally hope both mclarens dnf and kimi wins BUT will not be too unhappy for lewis to win. my feelings on lewis are clear, but he has been the better man and thats in and out of the car

i hope jenson has a great weekend and we have a great race as fans,

looking at the 5 day forecast, rain is predicted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=2577

im going to miss F1, it all passes so quickly

(yes i know we still have brazil but even so :( )

DaveKillens

I second the motion wayne, I'd like to see the drama and excitement go to the very end of the season. We've witnessed a very tight title fight all season, and I want more. Besides, I have a vested interest. I picked Kimi to win the title, and he's still my favorite.

mx_tifoso

Do most, all, or few circuits on the calendar have "team building" like the Shanghai circuit does :?: Probably only the non-European races have "team buildings" because teams don't have their motorhomes with them, especially at these long distance races. What a brilliant idea.Image
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

zac510

They've obviously got a lot of space there!

m3_lover

Before the circuit was built..wasn't it a huge swamp?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

FLC
FLC

I don't think all tracks have this kind of arrangement, I believe in most places the teams stay in hotels.

Anyway, this brings up what I think is a pretty interesting thing. Many of us like to criticize Tilke for the tracks he has designed, but while there might be some pros and cons in relation to the track layouts, one cannot ignore the unique features he's brought in.

If we take China as an example (the Shanghai International Circuit was designed by Herman Tilke and Peter Wahl), not only does it feature that unique buildings complex which was inspired by the design of the Yu-Yuan Water Gardens located in the center of Shanghai, but it is also a true heaven for spectators on the main grandstand, as 29,000 of them are able to see almost 80%(!) of the entire track:

One more interesting feature, which some claim was made accidentally is that the track layout, when seen from above, resembles the Chinese character "shang", which is the first word in the name of the city - Shanghai.

It was indeed built on swampland.

modbaraban

Exciting quali!

Ralf at 6th!!! DC at 5th! :shock:
Williams surprisingly low :(

axle

Hmmm, who else thinks Lewis ran light for grid position, if the hope of a wet race.
And who thinks the Ferrari's and Alonso are heavy because they are expecting lots of safety cars??
- Axle

axle

And, OMG, could Alonso make himself look any worse. He's constantly complaining about equality...why did he sign up? Surely he knew?

I really wouldn't blame the team for favouring Hamilton after they've been spoken about like that for most of the season. MS knew that you needed to forge good relationships within a team to get the most out of them. His attitude is really poor. It's shooting his own title challenge in the foot.

Hamilton is no saint but he never bad mouths the team that provide him the tools...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63092
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63084

Toys, pram, out.
- Axle

DaveKillens

What's the Spanish translation for "Prima Donna"? :wink:

So here we come down to Hamilton having his great opportunity. He qualified on the pole (I'm still amazed by this young phenom) and now just needs to finish decent to cap the World Driver's Championship. We're on the verge of watching the Chinese GP, but also a momwnt in time when Hamilton did what no one else has ever done.
And the weather, to me it appears we're in for some wet.

checkered

axle wrote:Toys, pram, out.
DaveKillens wrote:What's the Spanish translation for "Prima Donna"?
Part of that

may be character, sure. Part of it may be for "domestic" consumption. But to me mostly the recent tit-for-tat between Dennis and Alonso was/is a financial game of chicken about how and/or if they're going to part ways. The only team that has offered Fernando $70M for three seasons plus the forfeit of contract fee for McLaren (also propably in tens of millions) is Toyota. Flavio has already gone to ING for more money to re-hire Alonso but in any case Renault isn't going to be able to cough up that kind of money. And I can't see Massa tempted to leave Ferrari for Toyota next season for any amount, nor Ferrari knowing what the falloff would be. BMW closed the door early.

Behaving badly (smashing doors, giving the silent treatment and cold shoulders) and raising controversy (contradicting Ron with public innuendo, risking the team's overall competitiviness) is a way to try whether McLaren would be willing to fire him, assuming he doesn't want to go to Toyota (very likely not). Being fired would make it economical for Renault to grab Alonso without having to pay the forfeit of contract fee in case there are no other takers (likely) with a shot at the 2008 championship. McLaren might also be compromised by the FIA scrutiny, even if it's far from certain that Renault can so soon recover from their current problems.

It sure is a peculiar situation, which could well end with Alonso staying with McLaren in the end. But I don't think any F1 drivers recently have been stupid. All the pirouettes and toys ejected from baby carriages serve a certain purpose. The article below speculates on these things.

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/ ... 79507.html

joseff

Wow. That was massive brain fade. David Coulthard, you've been dethroned!

tomislavp4

Congratulations Vettel :wink: after all the bad words around + the 5 place grid penalty he menaged to finish 4th, well done don´t ya think :D

Kubica could have been quite high if that stupid gearbox worked till the end ](*,)
but the worst was McLarens tactic for Hamilton, why did they let him stay soooo long? He was almost driving on his rims not on the tyres :shock:

But hey, that means exitment untill the end :wink:

Scuderia_Russ

axle wrote:And, OMG, could Alonso make himself look any worse. He's constantly complaining about equality...why did he sign up? Surely he knew?

I really wouldn't blame the team for favouring Hamilton after they've been spoken about like that for most of the season.
I've just heard the clown say on ITV that the machinery he gets is equal so now it's just down to him to do a better job! :roll: Make your mind up!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Scuderia_Russ

joseff wrote:Wow. That was massive brain fade. David Coulthard, you've been dethroned!
The pilane would still have been soaked because the very few cars that do go down the pitlane don't go down it at any speed so no water is going to be removed. Silly staying out on those tyres though, whoevers decision it was. He didn't have any sort of grip on the circuit. He should have been nrought in much sooner. Race control knew it wasn't going to rain for the rest of the G.P. so why didn't McLaren who claim to have been "waiting to see what the weather was going to do". Way to go Kimi and Vettel though.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-