Chinese GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Militia Est Vita

There is still something I don't really understand, and it is how come lewis couldn't make it to the end of the boxes. I mean I understand that the tire condition was terrible but was it really that bad so he was pushed straight to the gravel, he wasn't even accelerating up to probably 80kms (correct me if I'm wrong) in the safety lane and still he couldn't control the car. Last year @ Brazil Schumacher had not a bald tire but a huge ass puncture, the tire was desintegrated and still he could make it to the pits. Maybe this is because it was just one tire and no 4 like in Lewis' case. But I still think Lewis retirement was a bit satrange.

lane27
lane27

hello, i can not find the information in english, only this in the comments of this blog http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_ ... rmula.html which is actually a translation of a spanish paper a boy did, i think it´s well explained and translated, here it goes:

-THE FIA INVESTIGATES WHAT SPENT TO THE CAR OF ALONSO ON SATURDAY TO HIM
"The pressures of the wheels of the Q3 were altered"

-"Max Mosley reacted quickly to the complaints of Fernando Alonso after the qualification. The president of the FIA is a staunch enemy of Rum Dennis and he is not going to him to pass nor one. In fact, to last hour of afternoon of Saturday it made him arrive his preoccupation through an emissary at the own bichampion. It does not want traps around the car number one nor that is harmed to him in its fight by the title. For that reason it has decided to open a discreet investigation that will maintain the tension on the headquarters of McLaren until Brazil. The data in writing of the pressures of all the games of tires used by the Spanish have been successfully obtained during the GP of China. And the numbers contribute still more to the increase of the suspicions. Of the ten games that the ovetense used, only two had the altered pressures. They were those that put to him in third and decisive part of the qualification. Instead of being to 0.2 pounds of pressure, they were to more than 1,5. Something that diminishes its adhesion drastically. This time the cause could be the overheat of compounds. The heaters were to a greater temperature of habitual, the superior thing to 90 degrees, and this generated the alteration of the pressures. Of there the final collapse and the loss of time. In Fuji the pressures also were bad, but only in the back wheels and perhaps by badly swollen. The heaters of the last race have sent them to England to analyze them, but, peculiarly, these things never happen to him in qualification to Lewis Hamilton. It is, with Hungary and Japan, the third suspicion of sabotage of the year." This is from spanish "AS"...Sorry for the translation errors (Altavista Babel Fish Translator)

That is, Alonso confirmed that to the spanish tv "Tele5"

by the way ron dennis had a reunion with spanish reporters and said the pressure in alonso´s tyres were right

i would like to know the truth, but i´m getting tired of this, ciao!

zenvision

Militia Est Vita wrote:There is still something I don't really understand, and it is how come lewis couldn't make it to the end of the boxes. I mean I understand that the tire condition was terrible but was it really that bad so he was pushed straight to the gravel, he wasn't even accelerating up to probably 80kms (correct me if I'm wrong) in the safety lane and still he couldn't control the car. Last year @ Brazil Schumacher had not a bald tire but a huge ass puncture, the tire was desintegrated and still he could make it to the pits. Maybe this is because it was just one tire and no 4 like in Lewis' case. But I still think Lewis retirement was a bit satrange.
Forgetting that maybe they should have put him in, I think he didn't calculate that the pit entry would be more wet than the racing line on the track and skidded off.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Well, we all finally saw Hamilton make a major rookie mistake, and beached his car. Andat the other end of the scale, Vettel drove the best race of his life, especially considering the pressure after his mistake at Japan. And Kimi just did his thing, drove fast under difficult circumstances and won.
This whole "I'm Spanish and don't feel welcome at my team" lament by Alonso is nothing but an attempt to manipulate the Spanish media, despite not being able to offer a shred of proof. Trust me, if Alonso had anything more than just his imagination to back his claims, McLaren would be under fire by the FIA. They are presently under a microscope, and cannot afford to be caught by any shenanigans. The media are hyperactive and will print anything. Hamilton is trying to manipulate the British press, and Alonso the Spanish. And we the public discuss and argue about things that don't exist.
Personally, I believe both drivers receive the same technical support. But the truth is, Hamilton is an English driver on an English team. He does feel more comfortable in McLaren. duh. Is that hard to figure out or believe? If the situation was reversed, and Hamilton and Alonso shared a Spanish team, then Fernando would feel more at home. duh.
In the last part of Q3, Alonso set the quickest first sector time, beating Hamilton. So how does that FACT tie in with the entire conspiracy of him being sabotaged? I would like an answer to that one.
In 1988, '89, and '90 Senna and prost in McLaren indulged in a fierce war, and even crashed each other out to win titles. And yes, back then the meddling and politics by the FIA was just as bad. So amazingly, not much has changed, we've got politics, scandal, inter-team rivalry, and a rabid press.
And just like back then, the title will be decided by the last race of the season.

fastback33
fastback33

Sooo, i have a pretty legit question. Most teams were running a high downforce set-up due to the levels of grip on the damp/wet rainy track and we see TONS of passing. Yet when it is dry there is almost nothing. Not only that but driver's were getting very close to each other going in through the apex and even back out of the turn. What's the deal? I can't believe that the rain has that big of an effect ont he aero. Can someone please explain why this was and why this race was the only one it seems like we've seen a fair amount of passing?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The rain has a negligable effect on the aero, but a huge change on the level of grip. That's why rain is described as the great equalizer, where more than anyplace, driver skill in the wet suddenly becomes a large factor. Braking, throttle control can spell the difference, and we have seen that in both Japan and China.

Scuderia_Russ

fastback33 wrote:Sooo, i have a pretty legit question. Most teams were running a high downforce set-up due to the levels of grip on the damp/wet rainy track and we see TONS of passing. Yet when it is dry there is almost nothing. Not only that but driver's were getting very close to each other going in through the apex and even back out of the turn.
I also noticed this, particularly how close cars were running.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Driving in the wet also decreases the overall speed doesn't it? So if the cars are going slower, and braking a lot sooner, then that must make for much closer driving. And exiting the curve throttle application is a lot smoother, as to not loose control and end up in a barrier or a gravel trap. (AFAIK)

That should explain why the cars are so close to each other especially going into the apex and exiting it.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

fastback33
fastback33

mx_tifosi wrote:Driving in the wet also decreases the overall speed doesn't it? So if the cars are going slower, and braking a lot sooner, then that must make for much closer driving. And exiting the curve throttle application is a lot smoother, as to not loose control and end up in a barrier or a gravel trap. (AFAIK)

That should explain why the cars are so close to each other especially going into the apex and exiting it.
Right but at the end of the straight you would see driver's trying to out break one another. If i remember correctly bob varsha or one of the other anouncer's on speed said that they were hitting close to 200 mph at the time of braking on that very long straight.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

But since the braking distance is increased, top speed is maintained for a lesser amount of time. Considering that information, it seems that only aspect of driving in the rain that is not affected (relating to our discussion here) is top speed on the straights. Because entering and exiting curves is definately affected.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bizadfar
bizadfar

mx_tifosi wrote:But since the braking distance is increased, top speed is maintained for a lesser amount of time. Considering that information, it seems that only aspect of driving in the rain that is not affected (relating to our discussion here) is top speed on the straights. Because entering and exiting curves is definately affected.
and what determines top speed on a straight? :roll:

modbaraban
modbaraban

ROFL!

The Spainards gonna love this