Australian GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sebbe
sebbe

Re: [GP Australia 2008] Race analysis

Being a McLaren fan I glad Kimi's driving is getting closer to that of Montoya each day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, so cool to see Lewis hugging Nico and jumping; he was as happy for Nico as for himself...

I think it's wonderful to see new faces showing how good they are, and showing some emotions. So boring to see Kimi with his brickface in the podium and "he who must not be named" with his ridiculous jump and pointing with his finger to the sky... :roll:
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

djones
djones

I was really gutted for Kovalinen. It was obvious he had some VERY good pace but just wanted to be sensible in his first race.

2nd place was his then the safety car ruined it for him :(

He could have been on pole given the fuel loads etc and he also had the fastest lap of the race.

manchild
manchild

HKS, with all respect, if you're gonna be self-declared official GP thread starter than at least make sure you do it before an event so other people can post their comments when they like without having to wait for your thread. I've already mentioned my disagreement with multiple threads for one GP but there you go on. I'm certainly not going to waste time reading 4 or more threads about the same thing started by same member when it suits him.

Practices, qualifying and race are linked events whose separate analysis is absolutely pointless. GP weekend is a thread of events and those events belong to one topic so that reader can chronologically follow up discussion.

Multiple threads force people to check posting time, compare it with posting time in another thread so they can figure out when or why someone wrote what was written. Completely confusing. There are 18 GP in the season and there's certainly no need for more than 50 to 70 or even more threads about those 18 GP.

I suggest you to start following threads:

[GP Malaysia 2008 FRI Practice 1]
[GP Malaysia 2008 FRI Practice 2]
[GP Malaysia 2008 SAT Practice]
[GP Malaysia 2008 SAT Qualifying 1]
[GP Malaysia 2008 SAT Qualifying 2]
[GP Malaysia 2008 SAT Qualifying 3]
[GP Malaysia 2008 SUN Warm-up lap]
[GP Malaysia 2008 SUN Race]
[GP Malaysia 2008 SUN Cool-down lap]

:roll:

humble sabot

Re: [GP Australia 2008] Predictions

hey! anyone have the complete quote from Coulthard?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

joseff

Re: Australian GP 2008 (Analysis)

bar555 wrote:Williams seems to reclaim the past glory . Clearly the 4th team in the grid after Mc Laren , Ferrari , BMW Sauber .
To put it in perspective: in this 2008 Australian GP, Williams scored:
82% of their 2006 points total
27% of their 2007 points total

Too bad about Robert Kubica. His pit stop timing was as bad as Heidfeld's was brilliant. Coming out right behind Barrichello & Raikkonen was a race killer.

bar555
bar555

Massa 's Ferrari after collision with Coulthard's Red Bull . No serious damage for Ferrari but Coulthard was instantly out of race :!: Hard as rock outside but rotten inside
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

m3_lover

You got Webber swearing last year and now coulthard dropping the --- word, glad to hear some great quotes. :)

Bourdais got the heartbreak award, it looked like he was going to get that 4th place.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

joseff

I heard something like "I'm going to kick the sh*t outta the little..."

Ray

Everyone loves the fact DC and Webber have used foul language to the press about something, but God forbid if Scott Speed does. That would be just plain arrogant, rude, disrespectful, and uncalled for. But with Webbo/DC it's applauded. :roll: Scott Speed didn't deserve the abuse he got from the press for what he said, or Webber and DC MUST get the same treatment.

Ciro Pabón

I did not watch Massa on the start, I will. I've heard comments about his lousy start.

What a crappy track. As much as Massa flaws could have been exposed by 800 hp without traction control, I saw the same for the track: it offers maybe a couple of passing places.

Malaysia has a regular first curve, let's wait and see if four or five cars are lost in it again. If this rate of attrition continues, maybe TC should be back.

I think that the armchair thinkers of F1 went a tad too far by banning essential driver helps. The speed and power of the cars have increased a lot, they are much more "designed to the limit" than cars of before.

I suppose this influenced the "attitude" of the cars: it was a little suicidal for my taste. By this I mean that the drivers are taking greater risks, evidently. Those who wanted to see F1 cars "drifting" at 250 kph must have been happy.

Meanwhile, even with larger run-off areas, the problem of the "flying cars" is still unresolved, so a touch might have consequences. I hope not, of course, but I left the race with a "Coulthardish" feeling, wondering how a wet race would be: how many cars could be left at Brazil if it pours? ;)

A brave race by Alonso, on the edge, but with this crappy Renault, he's out for good this year.

I wondered why Kimi, with a supposedly fast car, had such a long first stint: the dangers of being caught midfield are higher than last year, many more mistakes were made by everybody, him included. The "I-will-win-this-from-start-to-end" attitude of Schumi pays even more in this kind of races.

I hardly could resist five years of Ferrari dominance. Now I don't know how much McLaren-faster-by-a-second can I stand. I hope (oh, my god) Ferrari gets better quickly, because the BMWs still seem slower by half a second, not to mention the rest, Williams included, so the first place race seems a little... boring.

I did not see Hamilton on TV until the end (well, once in a while when they showed the huge, immense gap with the second place).

Nico's podium seems, given the attrition, a thing we'll see once in a blue moon.

I was happy with Rosberg, was surprised by Hamilton maturity and dominance and his sincere congratulations to Nico, had a sense of relief and hope with Alonso's five points, suffered a little with Kubica's fate.

All in all, I enjoyed a really hard and very, very, very hot, relentless race that apparently took drivers to the limit. Thanks, Aussies.
Ciro

P_O_L

Ferrari looked like a team without shumi, brawn, byrne and jean todt; a ship with no captain and 2 drivers not performing. Kimi trying at such a bad track as melbourne is nice but fruitless. 2 engine failures. After 40 laps i turned my tv off and went back to bed.

Williams was fast as everybody predicted. BMW looks to be very close to mclaren. It was amazing to see honda ahead of a ferrari in the beginning.

Melbourne is a stop and go track, no real corners worth mentioning. The only thing u need is traction and mclaren seems to have a lot of that. Well see next week if ferrari is indeed in big trouble but if they claim they still, havent fixed the single lap issue, its bye bye title and they should sack everybody.
Last Tango In Paris

humble sabot

Who's scott speed and why would i have been more pissed at him than at David?

humble sabot

Well i was quite surprised to see the last point scorer not able to finish. Is that a first?
I wouldn't be all doom and gloom about renault yet. My impression is that The car has a fair bit of potential that wasn't tapped, i don't know if it's enough to compete for podium spots but i think both drivers will score points in those races they finish.
For redbull's sake i hope it was just an optimistic cooling setup. Sort of a 'sure it's hot but it'll be hotter down the line'.
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot

can some one tell me why they were running those soft tyres into the ground on the finn's red car? seemed kind of silly.
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Conceptual
Conceptual

I was fairly impressed by Kimi's first lap. What did he pass, like 7 cars before half a lap when the SC came out?

Bourdais was also VERY impressive in last years car, powered by the mid-range dyno Ferrari engine.

The racing was very good, Alonso did not have a bad race, but my gut is that he only scored due to the failures of others.

Hamilton and Kovalainen did extremely well, but I believe 100% that they are ahead simply due to the co-development of the SECU and the MP-4/23. Alot of other people were obviously at a disadvantage due to the fact that they do not have the entire engineering team that built the SECU a few doors down the hall.

I am very happy with the loss of TC, as it made the good drivers shine.

Chris