Spanish GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
vyselegend

Re: Spanish GP 2008

It's a nice feeling to see Alonso on the first row in front of his home crowd. Whatever the fuel level, Renault have definitly improved their car, it's obvious on on board cams that it is more driveable. The Maccas in comparisons seemed quite nervous, especially on fumes.

I guess Renault have overtaken the Toyota / Red Bull / Williams / Honda group, and I reckon they'll be only 3 or 4 tenth off BMW's pace in race trim. So maybe the podium is still a bit too hard, but there are strong points to pick for the spaniard.

The deception here is Williams. As it could be feared they've been overtaken, developpement wise. They don't have all the millions Renault and Toyota can put in their "first step" evolution, and from now on it means playing catch up will become harder and harder, that the same scenario every season for the FW cars...

Kubica has dominated Heidfeld for the whole qualy, so it's not just a matter of fuel level IMO. I feel he's progressively taking the ascendant over the german. I predict a tight fight at the end of the year at BMW, as traditionnaly there are no team orders at Hinwill...

wazojugs

Looks like Alonso has found the magical 0.6 secs he has in his pocket

WhiteBlue

Alonso got his J-damper, plus he is lighter than others.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

HKS

The champ has proved his worth.

None of the present drivers can do that.

No kimi, Hamilton. Not even DC, Barrichello, Button.
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

allan
allan

HKS wrote:The champ has proved his worth.

don't be so excited... it was the "champ" who kicked the champ off the pole after all ;)
i gotta admitt though, alonso-renault did a superb job... well done!! im really happy they're ahead of the mclarens today...
btw, is piquet such a loser or is he heavy on fuel? i mean his teamate almost go pole while he's sittin comfortably in 10th :shock:

Miguel
Miguel

As much as I'd like to see Alonso up there fighting with the Ferraris, I fear this won't be one of those times. He himself said, in the spanish part of the press conference that "strategy might probably work against him" AKA "I'm light". The Q2-Q3 time difference is similar to Raikkonen's, though it's likely Kimi didn't take it too seriously in Q2. Furthermore, half an hour later he got asked live on the TV where he expected to end the race and he said "sixth, and I'll be happy".

Oh, and regarding Piquet, he has to be heavy. There's no way he's 7 tenths slower than Alonso, especially on Barcelona. 2 tenths? OK, the rest is probably fuel.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

bizadfar
bizadfar

allan wrote:

don't be so excited... it was the "champ" who kicked the champ off the pole after all ;)
i gotta admitt though, alonso-renault did a superb job... well done!! im really happy they're ahead of the mclarens today...
btw, is piquet such a loser or is he heavy on fuel? i mean his teamate almost go pole while he's sittin comfortably in 10th :shock:
In Q1/Q2 he was only a few hundredths off Alonso.

I feel Alonso is like featherweight, but track position is critical in barca, I think he will still manage 5th if the top 3 teams don't have reliability issues.

Moanlower

allan wrote:

Kimi was indeed 1 tenth faster than Alonso. Don't forget who's driving what car. I wonder what Kimi's laptime would be if he had to drive the Renault.

Piquet has been really fast since friday practice and has matched the times of Alonso quite closely. It's just at Q3 that Renault decided to fill up Piquet's tank, mainly for not loading him with more pressure than he already has to cope with being a rookie and still having a lot to learn driving at the front.

Alonso on the other hand is very light fuelled and therefore hasn't got that good race strategy which means he probably will lose a place to Kubica and Hamilton. Finishing 4th would still be a great result.

Hamilton's face was priceless when interviewed after quali. :P

I wonder if Alonso will use his spoiler for special occasions. :lol:

Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

WhiteBlue

WhiteBlue wrote:I expect Renault to be the most improved team due to their J-damper. Catching BMW as Flav dreams will be a bit steep.
hmmmm, that came pretty close. lets see how the race goes.
I gues they must have thought it is better to run Alonso light and have him fall back than have him in the 4th row where accidents are more probable.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

walter
walter

Another factor that plays here is the "homeboy" status of Alonso. Its highly likely that he did in fact sacrifice his fuel strategy in order to finish at the top in gualifying. Short lived glory is still better than none at all. As for Piquet, I highly doubt that the team "forced" him to run heavy due to his rookie status, It may be just an indicator of Renault's pace with a an ideal fuel load strategy, since he was born in Germany, and considered to be a Brazilian driver... he may pull a stunt like that at Interlagos.

roost89
roost89

Fernandoo's Q3 time compared to Q2 (the vapours running) was only 1.1s slower. That's not alot of fuel to play with, assuming he was as fast was possible for both laps. Kimi is in a similar situation. The rest of the top 10 have a difference of between 1.5s and 2.0s

Most importantly for Alonso, Piquets run was 1.8 seconds slower than Q2 and for Kimi, Massa's run was 1.5 seconds slower than in Q2 (where he topped the time sheets)

That's at least a few laps short of either team mate! Some good strategy will have to come into play aswell as some blinding speed from Kimi and Alonso to get a gap big enough to pit with some safety.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

freedom_honda

well depends on how much fuel he is carrying really.
i reckon he is in P2 because he is on SUPER-LOW fuel load.

allan
allan

let's cut the predictions and wait till tomorrow.... there's only one way to find out whether fernando is light on fuel or not... who knows? it might have been the "perfect lap" around barca with the crappy renault! Even a stopped watch is right twice a day ;)

bizadfar
bizadfar

roost89 wrote:Fernandoo's Q3 time compared to Q2 (the vapours running) was only 1.1s slower. That's not alot of fuel to play with, assuming he was as fast was possible for both laps. Kimi is in a similar situation. The rest of the top 10 have a difference of between 1.5s and 2.0s

Most importantly for Alonso, Piquets run was 1.8 seconds slower than Q2 and for Kimi, Massa's run was 1.5 seconds slower than in Q2 (where he topped the time sheets)

That's at least a few laps short of either team mate! Some good strategy will have to come into play aswell as some blinding speed from Kimi and Alonso to get a gap big enough to pit with some safety.
Massa is roughly the same fuel load or lighter. He fudged his 2nd attempt, his 1st attempt was .4 faster than Kimi (and kimi said his 1st attempt, 3rd sector was bad), so I can make the assumption that Kimi has 3 or so more laps like you. But my opinion is, 1 lap difference, Massa earlier.

cultavix
cultavix

Even if Alonso was in the Super Aguri team and getting 2nd place, people would still "brag" that a Ferrari beat him... when they are this season the "favorites"... common, Alonso totally showed yesterday what a great driver he really is.... let's see what happens today