Canadian GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ESPImperium

Re: Canadian GP 2008

Could there be a plausable argument to use the wet or inter tyres in the dry due to the track conditions???

If they are struggling for grip, thats posibly the most radicial option that id be thinking about, as it may be a way to beat the track breaking up.

Altho, i feel that track needs to be totally relaid as its breaking up now, but how can you re lay a track in the extremities of the Montreal climate, with -40C in the winter and +30C in the summer???

nae
nae

hmm a north American race that might not go ahead

cant really see them not allowing the race to go on

it will be a chaotic race thats for sure

cant be much worse than than fuji last year

as seems to be the phrase of the weekend, 'they are all in the same boat'

now if that is a reference to the handling on the broken up track surface

its pretty accurate

the drivers with the coolest heads will do well tommorow

less is more

button for the podium , lol
..?

nae
nae

ESPImperium wrote:Could there be a plausable argument to use the wet or inter tyres in the dry due to the track conditions???
if the surface is moving under the tire then nothing will help
..?

Scotracer

I don't understand Ferrari's dismissal at a lack of pace -- all the drivers had the same conditions to endure, it's not like their tyres had gone off or something. I think Hamilton and Kubica were just more willing to push it at Turn 10.

They better run the race tomorrow, todays qualifying was one of the best in a while. Can you guess who I'm supporting? :D
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

donskar

How ironic, it is supposedly very difficult to satisfy the demanding requirements to be accepted as an F1 venue . . . One would think that a solid surface would be a basic requirement. I guess it's all down to ever larger bags of money.

Or is this the beginning of a whole new vista of F1 competition - F1 off-road racing!

Tomorrow's race could have some long-term impact on F1's future in the US. It will be broadcast on Fox, a network with a much larger audience base than SPEED TV, who usually carries F1 in the US. And the race race will be around mid-day rather than very early morning, also helping increase audience size.

IF the race is a farce due to crumbling track, safety car, sparse field due to retirements, etc., then the likelihood of another US GP could be somehwat diminished.

If I were stupid enough to bet, I'd put my money on Hamilton, with his excellent car control. I'll be hoping The Reds somehow come through. This race could tell a lot about Kimi's commitment and Massa's maturing (or not) into a complete driver.

Any input on whether Kubica is running extra light? Vettel's luck remains bad.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Scotracer

donskar wrote:How ironic, it is supposedly very difficult to satisfy the demanding requirements to be accepted as an F1 venue . . . One would think that a solid surface would be a basic requirement. I guess it's all down to ever larger bags of money.

Or is this the beginning of a whole new vista of F1 competition - F1 off-road racing!

Tomorrow's race could have some long-term impact on F1's future in the US. It will be broadcast on Fox, a network with a much larger audience base than SPEED TV, who usually carries F1 in the US. And the race race will be around mid-day rather than very early morning, also helping increase audience size.

IF the race is a farce due to crumbling track, safety car, sparse field due to retirements, etc., then the likelihood of another US GP could be somehwat diminished.

If I were stupid enough to bet, I'd put my money on Hamilton, with his excellent car control. I'll be hoping The Reds somehow come through. This race could tell a lot about Kimi's commitment and Massa's maturing (or not) into a complete driver.

Any input on whether Kubica is running extra light? Vettel's luck remains bad.
No. I've been looking but from Free Practice, there's no reason to believe he's really any lighter than the Ferrari's (actually I'd say the Ferraris are lighter as they were much faster in S1 and S2 in Quali 3...they just couldn't get around Turn 10).
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

JiMbO

lewis is very good around this track but im hoping kimi wins esp after monaco!!

NaZzO

Track resurfacing is already underway right after qualifying was over.
should be ok before the race
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68095

could mclaren's superirity in turn 10 (sector 3) be related to their aero
grip being better than ferrari's ?

i'm gonna be on the track tomorrow, my rain coat is already packed :D
gonna get soaked because it is 60% probable there's gonna be a thunderstorm
starting afternoon.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAQC0363
fingers crossed for kovy, hope he finally gets the result he deserves
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

Ratatouille

Isn't that a low speed section? I think that on the contrary Mclaren has excellent mechanical grip so I think out of that corner they might be exiting with better traction than the rest. It was not only on Q3 that Mclaren was faster than the rest. It has been that way since Q1 at least.

NaZzO

Ratatouille wrote:Isn't that a low speed section? I think that on the contrary Mclaren has excellent mechanical grip so I think out of that corner they might be exiting with better traction than the rest. It was not only on Q3 that Mclaren was faster than the rest. It has been that way since Q1 at least.
it is a slow section, that's what is puzzling me. if they were better in mechanical grip, and then the grip is affected, then their lap times would be also affected, no ?? their friday time was almost the same as last year's pole position !!
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

nae
nae

could mclaren's superirity in turn 10 (sector 3) be related to their aero
grip being better than ferrari's ?
I read that as mclaren's ZERO grip is better than...
..?

Motley

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, so just wanted to say hello.

I'm curious to know what people think about ferrari's wheel farings this weekend.

They ran them through both friday practise sessions, yet not in qualifying.

Were they working too well, and allowing the brakes to cool too much?

Your thoughts if you please...

bizadfar

Despite an excellent (understatement) I think Hamilton will stop at least 3 laps earlier than most. Having said that, I still think he will win comfortably (assuming this is straight performance not so much SC luck etc).

If he doesn't stop that much earlier, well it's a lap to remember year after year.

timbo

Motley wrote: Were they working too well, and allowing the brakes to cool too much?
I think it's opposite. There were comments that front wheel fairings mostly help aero and not very helpful for brake cooling, in the circuit like Montreal you can cool brakes too much!

As for results of Q3 I think Lewis has less fuel - he also done more laps in Q3 than others I believe. I also think McLaren runs softer suspension - note how Ferraris were faster at chicanes - where high direction change speed (stiffer suspension) is required, but it helps over marbles.

ESPImperium

A couple of intresting things ive noticed is the fact that Ferarri arnt running their fairings on the front wheels, im thinking the brakes are experiencing overheating issues on the hardest braking cuircit of the year or they cant get enough heat into the front tyres.

The fact the Ferarri cant get the front tires heated enough makes me wonder if the small ammount of aero efficiency they gain by running fairings on the front wheels is making their tires cooler and they cant get the heat in them, meaning that running without makes the tires warmer quicker on a out lap.

And on that Canadian track, many of the cars are experiencing problems keeping heat in the front tyres on the "Baack straight" making the drivers are coming over to the other side of the track, once or twice when they are coming up to the chicane that leads on the start finish straight.

On a side note, if they decided to make the surface of turn 10 (the hairpin) a concrete surface, would that break up more and what would be the challanges faced by the teams and Bridgestone to get grip in that area???