British GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ZBimmerfan

Re: British Grand Prix 2008

Congrats to Nick for bringing us a podium!!! 2nd #2 finish!!!

roost89
roost89

good race! it was interesting to say the least.
What the hell were the Ferrari strategists thinking? Keeping Kimi on used inters and not filling him with more fuel when he pitted at the same time as Lewis. He was faster and well capable of pressuring and attempting a pass! Bad Bad move from them! [-X [-X

Driver of the day: Reubens
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

bar555
bar555

Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

nae
nae

what a race
stunning drive on inters from lewis
great drive from Rubens

what was Massa doing ?

and what about nicks passing cars 2 at a time

fantastic stuff
..?

Giblet
Giblet

Nick did that _twice_. Awesome.

Massa is very quick when he has a good dry setup underhim. I think he times corner entry very well, bt very mechanically.

He just seems like he has no car feel. Just reflexes and balls.

Anyone else notice how Lewis was short shifting a lot more then everyone else?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

vyselegend

Driver of the day Rubens indeed! =D> It could have been Mark's day too, but he was as lucky as usual...

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton, he was heavily pressured this week-end, even (mostly) by his own countrymen. The brave battle at the start with Heikki showed once more there's no team order at Macca, the first attempt through Copse was thrilling.
roost89 wrote:good race! it was interesting to say the least.
What the hell were the Ferrari strategists thinking? Keeping Kimi on used inters and not filling him with more fuel when he pitted at the same time as Lewis. He was faster and well capable of pressuring and attempting a pass! Bad Bad move from them! [-X [-X
Actually Ferrari did the exact same choice as Renault, who share the same Meteo provider as them, namely Météo France.
They predicted very light rain in 5 minutes, and they were right on the 5mn delay, but wrong on the "light" density, hence the awfull choice of both teams...

I can't see any end to the Massa jokes, his clownesque pirouettes under wet conditions are building a legend. :twisted: I think he spunt nearly every lap for half of the race, and should have been black flagged for everyone'sake. (and I don't joke, there's a rule stating a driver must be forced to pit if he shows no control of the car repeatedly like Massa today or Ralph at Montreal 2006, but they never apply that rule...)

Trulli kind of succeded in taking advantage of the rain, but not as much as I have hoped. (unlike Barichello).

Williams slavaged a point with Kazuki, which is finally a good end to an horrible week-end. I think Nico made the same mistake on Glock than Lewis did on Fernando at Bahrein, underestimating his traction advantage. But there was nothing to hope for anyway as the FW30 was bad on both dry and wet track...

Renault's car is disapointing. I think Miguel is right when he said (in another topic) that the R28 s*cks with heavy loads, and I'd add it s*cks on light loads too (Magny Cours). The pace is very promising on "normal" stints, something like 4 tenth down on Macca/Ferrari, which is levelling them with BMW and Red Bull, but it seems unsteady whenever the conditions becomes "special" and they try different strategies.
That said, Piquet had a good pace on his first stint, and he was one of the last to pit (along Heidfeld, and then the Hondas and Bourdais).

Now I hope for more rain everywhere, it just makes the GP too exciting!

Oh, and last note: Bourdais is slow! On every track conditions. His car had more potential than Honda's, and was on the same timming with tyre switches, so there's no excuses. I hope he will somehow kick his own ass and wake up before being destroyed by Vettel...

kekekeke
kekekeke

Surprised no one has commented on Kova's race. Getting lapped by your team mate in the same car with similar strategies is not exactly a good result.

On the other hand, I have been very impressed by Hamilton's starts. He always seems to know where to put his car.

Birel99

But KEKEKEKE, do you still think Lewis should quit F1?

kekekeke
kekekeke

I only want him to quit when he's making a laughing stock of himself. I hope from now on he tones down his PR and stops making silly mistakes.

JamesS
JamesS

kekekeke wrote:I only want him to quit when he's making a laughing stock of himself. I hope from now on he tones down his PR and stops making silly mistakes.
Sod off you numpty.

chasefreak
chasefreak

hey kekekeke
it's human to make mistake ( have u not learnt things making mistakes )

icef1mkd
icef1mkd

well...vyselegend has said it all.

I'll only add that, besides the "normal stints", the Renault
is also good in single lap pace. When Alonso went under 1:20 yesterday
in Q2, I was finally convinced. But, that counts for nothing.
And so many missed chances / strategic errors for a team that has been
a back-to-back champion not that long ago...is just unacceptable.

As for Bourdais...I suggest we opet a thread about him. I'm concerned
about his performances.
"You will never know the feeling of a driver
when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings
that cannot be understood."
Ayrton Senna, November 1988

Miguel
Miguel

Hello everybody,

I don't know you, but my father and I had a great time watching the race. Extremely entertaining, and we saw some pretty good quality driving... and some awful too
WhiteBlue wrote:Massa must be praying that it will never rain. He is so unreliable in the wet with TC.
Actually, he's extremely reliable, with the sole exception of Monaco 2008 ;). We saw two kind of rain dancers today, Hamilton and Massa. Preferring one or the other depends on you liking Tschaikovsky or Metallica.
vyselegend wrote:Actually Ferrari did the exact same choice as Renault, who share the same Meteo provider as them, namely Météo France.
They predicted very light rain in 5 minutes, and they were right on the 5mn delay, but wrong on the "light" density, hence the awfull choice of both teams...
Here in Spain Pedro Mtz de la Rosa was pulling his hair when he saw McLaren changing the tires on the first pit stop. He said like three times he thought it was the wrong strategy now that a dry track was emerging. However, 6 laps later, everyone in old tires had massive stability issues, including Alonso and Raikkonen. By the way, Raikkonen and Webber spun like 4 times, but Kimi ended up 4th. It was a decent race by Alonso, although using worn tires really played against him. He may (very brave may, though) have got a podium had he switched to new tires.
Renault's car is disapointing. I think Miguel is right when he said (in another topic) that the R28 s*cks with heavy loads, and I'd add it s*cks on light loads too (Magny Cours). The pace is very promising on "normal" stints, something like 4 tenth down on Macca/Ferrari, which is levelling them with BMW and Red Bull, but it seems unsteady whenever the conditions becomes "special" and they try different strategies.
I still think that the Renault is decent (i.e. Red Bull level) with mid to light fuel loads. And I believe that the R28 suffered a lot in Magny Cours due to the 15 degree drop in ambient temperature. It can be that the aero balance plus the mechanical balance switched to opposite sides in a subtle but definite way.

Curiously, I'm not disappointed by Alonso finishing in the same position he started, even though he didn't spin. It sure is because Kazuki got a point! Anyway, off we go to Hockenheim, where the need of traction in at least Turns 4 and 5 will make the R28 a pig and the FW30 a podium contender.

Regards!

PS: Regarding lame threads, we should open one for each driver: Kimi should leve, Massa go home, Alonso learn from the football team (no! please, no!), Lewis should get a nicer girlfirend, or Nico cut your hair. I'm joking of course.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Conceptual
Conceptual

Good race!

Good to see Nick and Reubens on the podium, and Lewis showed that he learned ALOT from Japan last year.

It was pretty interesting that the teams kept putting on Inters, especially when Reubens was like 8 sec a lap faster on extremes.

Looking forward to Hockenheim!

BTW: What is the record for the most rain-races in a season?

Thanks!

Chris

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Such a great race to watch from all points of view.

Superb race for Hamilton fans, for the BMW fans, for the Rubens fans and all the neutrals. This race had excitement from start to finish!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Well done to Hamilton, easily the driver of the day. Finishing 68.5 seconds ahead of second placed Heidfeld. I can't think of a bigger winning margin in recent years.

PS. I'm very sad to see the race move from Silverstone to Donnington Park
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners