British GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
alvinkhorfire

Re: British Grand Prix 2008

My wish is that Ross Brawn returns back to Ferrari as technical director and chief strategist. Ferrari clearly misses his magical touch in strategy. I guess that my wish will never be fulfilled, right? Well, if Ross Brawn had applied such magnificient strategy to help Ruben to a deserving podium, he could have helped Ferrari achieve better result at Monaco and Silverstone.

Sigh, just another rather luckless day for Ferrari. They should be strong at here. What has happened to them? No luck, car not fast enough? They really to step up the pace since F2008 is just not fast enough.

About Felipe Massa, he drove well in wet Monaco track, if I am not mistaken. He could have achieved better result if wasn't that Ferrari screwed up the strategy. Perhaps, his setup at Silverstone was more towards dry setup, and due to that, he could not perform well.

Sorry, off topic a bit. Why did not Ross Brawn return to Ferrari after a one year sabbatical?

Please forgive me if I have said anything wrong. Just my personal thought.

WhiteBlue

He wanted to come back as MD but Monte decided to have an Italian solution and get rid of the rest of the dream team. He may regret that.

Very good drives by Hamilton, Nick, Alonso and Barichello. Some good actions by Kimi, Barichello, Webber and Nakajima. Poor performance by Massa, Heikki and Coulthard.

Bad luck for Vettel who got shunted into the gravel in a race that was likely to let him shine. The rest never featured very prominently. Some drivers may have been massively disadvantaged by wrong set up and tyre choice by the team. Kimi and probably Heikki among those.

I don't understand why under such conditions the teams don't have a weather spotting helicopter. In the middle stint extreme wets were the choice to go as they lost 5-8 seconds on inters depending of wear status. Even a child could calculate that a tyre stop would have payed off after 4 laps. #-o
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

alvinkhorfire

WhiteBlue
You are absolutely right. The best option is to have a tyre stop. They may have thought that the rain may have stopped, and they choose not to stop. Sadly, Ferrari paid dearly for such mistake.

bhall

Those of us in America have been subjected to tape-delayed coverage on FOX for the last two races, rather than live on Speed Channel as is the norm, and the increase in commercials has been very noticeable and highly annoying. You deal with it, though, especially since they've kept the familiar Speed announcers this year, rather than using Derek Daly and that other fool who were unbearable last year during FOX's coverage.

You deal with it, that is, until today when they cut to a commercial break on the final lap before the 2nd place car finishes the damn race! We didn't have a --- podium yet before these assholes treated it all as over. I realize the gap between 1st and 2nd was big - and by the way, nice drive by Hamilton; now run along, run along - but, how in the world can that decision be made? YOU DO NOT BREAK FOR AN ADVERTISEMENT IN THE ULTIMATE MOMENT OF A SPORTING EVENT! It shouldn't even be an option. Damn!

I'm not looking forward to Hockenheim. More FOX "coverage."

Sorry for the little rant.

And someone please, please, please give Massa some advice on driving in the wet.

mx_tifoso

bhallg2k wrote:And someone please, please, please give Massa some advice on driving in the wet.
Im just saying, but maybe a wet bias setup would have done the job? :roll:

That is what seperates a good drive from a bad one, it's not just the driver who has an effect on the results or performance. If everyone remembered that, and/or realized that, it would be great for reducing demeaning comments about 'bad drivers' in the wet.

But Massa did spin quite a lot! He was up to about 7th at one point, and I thought that he might progress even more given proper strategy, but he spun what seems like every other lap after that.

And it would seem that the inters have a lot more traction in the gravel than dry ones do, because many drivers managed to drive out of them without too much difficulty.

Congrats to Lewis, Reubens, and Nick for making it to the end! That deserves praise as it is. McLaren had the perfect package this weekend no doubt; car, driver(s), strategy, and setup.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Conceptual

bhallg2k wrote:Those of us in America have been subjected to tape-delayed coverage on FOX for the last two races, rather than live on Speed Channel as is the norm, and the increase in commercials has been very noticeable and highly annoying. You deal with it, though, especially since they've kept the familiar Speed announcers this year, rather than using Derek Daly and that other fool who were unbearable last year during FOX's coverage.

You deal with it, that is, until today when they cut to a commercial break on the final lap before the 2nd place car finishes the damn race! We didn't have a --- podium yet before these assholes treated it all as over. I realize the gap between 1st and 2nd was big - and by the way, nice drive by Hamilton; now run along, run along - but, how in the world can that decision be made? YOU DO NOT BREAK FOR AN ADVERTISEMENT IN THE ULTIMATE MOMENT OF A SPORTING EVENT! It shouldn't even be an option. Damn!

And someone please, please, please give Massa some advice on driving in the wet.
I find that I turn off the FOX coverage, and watch the ITV webstream. Like 1/3 the commercials, and they actually have team principals on the air during the races.

When it moves back to SPEED, I may revert, but even tho everyone hates James Allen, I really haven't heard anything from him in the last 3 races that really stood out. He is obviously a Brit-driver-fan, but overall, he isn't as bad as I have read on the boards.

Chris

Scotracer

Conceptual wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:Those of us in America have been subjected to tape-delayed coverage on FOX for the last two races, rather than live on Speed Channel as is the norm, and the increase in commercials has been very noticeable and highly annoying. You deal with it, though, especially since they've kept the familiar Speed announcers this year, rather than using Derek Daly and that other fool who were unbearable last year during FOX's coverage.

I find that I turn off the FOX coverage, and watch the ITV webstream. Like 1/3 the commercials, and they actually have team principals on the air during the races.

When it moves back to SPEED, I may revert, but even tho everyone hates James Allen, I really haven't heard anything from him in the last 3 races that really stood out. He is obviously a Brit-driver-fan, but overall, he isn't as bad as I have read on the boards.

Chris
Oh just you wait :lol:

He has gotten a lot better recently but last season, you just wanted to slap his mother -- I'm sure Martin was embarrassed standing next to him!
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

West

Good race. I am actually starting to watch F1 again; ironically due to the crappy coverage on FOX. They also have it in HD so the picture is much better than it is on SPEED. They air it at 10 AM so I don't have to wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning.

Sad to see Mark Webber's race go to crap and Williams just being a shadow of itself. Alonso's wrong choice of tire cost him a podium, as well as Raikkonen. But it shows how good Hamilton is even w/ the intermediates.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

axle

Can someone explain to me why, when Massa was at the tail of the field, they didn't pull him in and just try full wets? It's utter madness IMO. He was a danger to himself on those tyres. Surely they noticed Ruben's times and realised they could make back any pitstop deficit?!
- Axle

Chaparral

axle wrote:Can someone explain to me why, when Massa was at the tail of the field, they didn't pull him in and just try full wets? It's utter madness IMO. He was a danger to himself on those tyres. Surely they noticed Ruben's times and realised they could make back any pitstop deficit?!
:lol: :lol: well he spun 15 times just to make sure his team got the point that he needed the correct tyres - must have been lost in translation :)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

Tom Castellani

Anyone else catch this?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUJSq8uaV9g

I only just saw it and I know Raikkonen is one of those guys who likes to get in the zone on the grid, but that's a little un-called for. Imagine how people would react if Lewis or any other driver did that.

Judging by the comments on the video Raikkonen fans actually praise him for this...
The road to success is 20,832 meters long...

waynes

Tom Castellani wrote:Anyone else catch this?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUJSq8uaV9g
that is funny :D :D :D

ben_watkins

Tom Castellani wrote:Anyone else catch this?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUJSq8uaV9g

I only just saw it and I know Raikkonen is one of those guys who likes to get in the zone on the grid, but that's a little un-called for. Imagine how people would react if Lewis or any other driver did that.

Judging by the comments on the video Raikkonen fans actually praise him for this...

I don't see why anyone can condone this! That photographer has every right under UK law to press charges of common assault against Kimi..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

WhiteBlue

Some people have a closely guarded zone of privacy and get quite agressive when that is intruded. I guess Kimi lost patience there. It doesn't look good on TV though.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Tom Castellani

Apparently it was because the guy stepped on the umbrella on the floor. He didn't realise he was doing it and "Excuse me, could you take your foot off the umbrella" would have had the same effect. Plus it's an umbrella, no reason to chance damaging thousands of pounds worth of camera gear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not THAT bothered about this. He did what he did, no one was hurt and worse things have happened in the world. What annoys me is the way people respond to this, apparently Kimi can do no wrong while Hamilton is consistently getting slated by news paper reporters who can't steer a damn shopping trolley.

All in all he could have handled the situation better, many other drivers would have.
The road to success is 20,832 meters long...