European GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mx_tifoso

European GP 2008

The recently finished Valencia Street Circuit will hold it´s first ever Formula one event this weekend, the 2008 Grand Prix of Europe. This circuit is only a few months new, but has already had the experience of holding lower formula and GT series race events.

Image linked from http://www.valenciastreetcircuit.com

And with not a single driver or Formula One team having any driving experience on this specific circuit, FP1 should hold the same surprises for everyone...

Related threads :
F1Technical- Valencia urban circuit pictures
Pictures courtesy of ´Principessa´ and ´Tomba´, from their visit to Valencia last month.

F1Technical- Valencia-the track
Thread discussing the design of the circuit.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Principessa

Re: Grand Prix of Europe 2008

Well, this GP will be a bit overshadowed by the horrible plane crash that killed 153 people at Madrid 2 days ago. It's a bit spooky when you think that me and Tomba were arriving and departing from that same airport less than a month ago.

Of course the racing will not be forgotten. Hard and painful to say, but life has to go on. I'm sure this will be a spectacular race even though some of you were critical on the track and recognizing points. I watched a lap on the track at one of those racing games and I must say that I always knew where exactly the drivers were. Maybe it's because I've been there, because I've seen the buildings. But I'm sure that you'll all be able to enjoy a great Grand Prix and that you'll know exactly where the drivers are :wink:

WhiteBlue

I seems to be a teriffic new track. Hopefully it also provides good racing. It already seems to be the better of the two Spanish tracks after first practise.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Principessa

Good pace of Vettel today. But I feel sorry that Raikkonen beat Alonso during the second free practice session. It would be nice for Alonso to be on top.

I think it will be an exciting qualifying session tomorrow....

mx_tifoso

Vettel`s best time in FP1 was 1:40.496, but then his speed dropped in FP2 and ended in 16th with a 1:40.982. Without knowing his fuel levels, etc, that means that he can´t go below the ´40s mark in normal conditions. While the in FP2 the top seven went into the ´39s mark.

I believe that Vettel topping the time charts in the first practise mainly dictates the fact that everyone was knew to the circuit and was concentrating on reconoissance laps. And then in the second practice the top ten improved their times, while the lower level teams weren´t capable of that. But Vettel doing what he did is almost impressive, given his machinery.

And it´s good to see the Ferrari´s along the top sections of the charts as well, I hope they have worked extra hard on the reliability and commit less (or none at all) mistakes during races.

And as had been predicted, the bridge section has worried Bridgestone, they are afraid of punctures due to the height gap. And telling from pictures of the track, there has been a lot of pavement degradation around the joints as well, who knows what problems that might lead to.
:arrow: F1technical- Bridgestone concerned about Valencia bridge section

EDIT:
This image shows the joint, but it seems that since the last event held here they have repaired the surface.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

GTO

thnks. for the pic. mx tifosi. you beat me to it. I was just going to post that same pic.

I'm also surprised to see the large width of the gap between the bridge deck & the road (which I'm guessing to be at least 2 inces...maybe a bit more). :shock:
I can't judge how much height difference there is.

I realize the space is there for expansion & contraction of the bridge deck during the year, but I would assume they could easily fill that gap temporarily for the race. Seems silly to leave such a potential dangerous safety hazard unaddressed by the FIA - namely Charlie Whiting. :?

GTO

I missed viewing the practice session early this morning on Speed channel to judge the potential for wheel to wheel racing. However, from the track map there seems to be a lot of acceleration & deceleration zones (seven 90 deg. turns & two U-turns) where there may be a lot of overtaking attempts. Looking fwd. to the quali & race.

bar555

WEATHER FORECAST

Rain again :?: :?: :?:
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

GTO

Any race outcome predictions?
I'll take:
1. Massa
2. Raikkonen
3. Hamilton

Scotracer

bar555 wrote:WEATHER FORECAST

Rain again :?: :?: :?:
I was just about to post that. This track could get VERY interesting in the wet :twisted:
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

roost89

Qualifying is looking very interesting, mid-way through Q2 and Vettel in P1. This track is certainly shaking the normal routine up a wee bit.
Very nice to see!
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

woohoo

When was the Valencia pole position moved ?
When did this happen, and why ?

The article here just mentions "observations" and "safety"
Anyone can claim that.
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

Racehound

woohoo wrote:When was the Valencia pole position moved ?
When did this happen, and why ?

The article here just mentions "observations" and "safety"
Anyone can claim that.
just read that they moved pole from left to right side as its the cleaner side after Whiting observed the racing line taken by all the drivers..... After Massa got pole they decided to change it seeing as he worked so hard for the advantage! :D

chasefreak

i think this was done after quali..... now are the these suckers trying to help u Mr. Massa.... :lol:

i think lewis will settle to be 3rd in this race
ferrari have got the edge on mclaren from the last race

chasefreak

duplicate :_: