Malaysian GP 2009 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ciro Pabón

Re: Malaysian GP 2009

Yes, Dave.

I agree. Not to mention that in tropical and equatorial countries there are non-rainy seasons, that depending on the site, run more or less from July to September and December to February or so.

At least where I live you have to avoid some sites (because it rains every evening) in April-June and October-November. So, I would say this is not a very good date for this particular GP.

I wonder how much weight meteorology is given in the calendar, because up to this days, with maybe less asiatic and exotic racetracks, the record of halved races is very good.

One thing is a short rain that makes the race more interesting (remember when people was surprised by changes in position because of the rain?) and another is a torrential downpour in the tropic that perhaps could be avoided more carefully. On the other hand a pit race is always a drama.
Ciro

meves

Re: Malaysian GP 2009

I've spent some time working in KL and the rain is fairly regular every afternoon there in the rainy season. I'm not sure starting earlier in the afternoon would help the only way to ensure you get a clear race is to start the race in the morning and ensure it finished before 1-2pm when the storm clouds build up.

Mind you if you look at this from Bernies point of view, all he is interested in is making as much of a headline as possible from each GP and we're still talking about it so from his point of view it was probably a success.