Malaysian GP 2009 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Giblet

Re: Malaysian GP 2009

OMG Kimi's Halon system came on while he was driving.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

jddh1

Giblet wrote:OMG Kimi's Halon system came on while he was driving.
Yeah, that was so strange. Is the KERS to blame? I hear the FIA is also trying to look at the car.

BTM
BTM

excuse my ignorance, but what is the halon system?

Giblet

Halon is a gas that starves a fire of oxygen. If you are in a room when the halon system goes off it suffocates you.

Terminator 2 when they are breaking in to the lab everyone has to escape cuz of Halon.

I worked in a high end computer lab that had a Halon system.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

BTM
BTM

what triggers it to go off (well obviously a fire, but is it heat activated?) could a really hot kers system have set it off? ...also why would the fia investigate the car for a mechanical failure? i thought that was the team's business

vasia

Smoke/gas was coming from the cockpit, Ferrari thinks it may have been from under the driver's seat. This happened right before the Halon system turned on. Ferrari's KERS batteries are located under the seat, the car is disassembled as we speak and some technicians are examining it. The car is sitting on a rubber mat and Ferrari mechanics are wearing masks.

Some FIA officials have come to the Ferrari garage simply because they are interested with what happened to Ferrari's KERS system. Obviously this, being KERS related, would be a concern to all teams and to the FIA on the grounds of safety.

andartop

It could be because Kimi's ass was on fire.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

jamsbong

andartop wrote:It could be because Kimi's ass was on fire.
Hahaha... I thought he is the iceman.

So... Msia GP. I hope this will be an exciting GP weekend as well. Teams will still have similar cars to play with, so Brawn GP is probably still the king. Also, the race will be held at 5pm. It will be dusk by then and kinda dark. If it rains it will be quite scary for drivers but will be awesome for me as a spectator! I really want to see a wet race.

BTM
BTM

i would also like to see a wet race...just not at twilight

axle

slimjim8201 wrote:
axle wrote:This could very well become a laughing stock of a race and Bernie will be to blame.

I like a SHOWER in a race to spice things up, but watching cars skate of a waterlogged track isn't racing.
Go on?
Time of day, time of year. He sets when to HAVE the GP and has chosen, statistically, the worst time of day.

If it's a tropical storm all the cars will fall off the track and the winner will be the last to fall off.

I really hope it's much drier than the predictions. Don't need the race being caught in another storm.
- Axle

paused

andartop wrote:It could be because Kimi's ass was on fire.
And I thought everyone was shouting at Lewis "Liar, Liar pants on fire" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chaparral

You have to remember also that the race will start 2 hours later than todays 2nd practice session so it will be quite dark if its overcast - not a good mix for racing. That second session well its a surprise to see Ferrari bounce back like that although they must be crapping themselves over the KERS issue in both sessions with Kimi - bloody Magneti Marelli Italian electrics - never were good :lol: RBR WIlliams looked good - theres more speed there from both - Im thinking Brawn were doing long runs on heavy fuel in that second session - whats going on with BMW - not happy campers :?
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

axle

I remember how Williams were great in Oz and then rubbish in Malaysia last year. I'm delighted to see them still up the sharp end this weekend.

I think the KERS system is what has put Ferrari fastest in FP2. Redbull are looking very handy again. Wondering if the Brawn's are holding back.
- Axle

NormanBates

Chaparral wrote:whats going on with BMW - not happy campers :?
in australia they were also awful during free practice, and indeed kubica was heard on team radio saying the car had absolutely no grip and was just sliding through the course... then they did quite well in quali and race (if you forget about the last-minute crash)

edit: by the way, does anybody know where to get this kind of information for today's practice?
viewtopic.php?p=99574#p99574

Chaparral

Axle - could be Brawn is holding back Im not sure but they were well ahead of the game last weekend and ok the Aussie GP circuit is more point and squirt whereas the Malaysian track is more free flowing so I'm not sure whether that has an influence - I feel confident they will be on the front row again this weekend. I'm pleased Williams are up there also - I've only ever barracked for 2 teams since I started following GP racing one was Brabham (whilst Jack owned it) then Williams in the late 70's so to see a return to form is welcome.

Norman Bates: I wonder like in Oz whether the car will come good over the weekend - in Oz the track seemed to come to them over the course of the race - however they just seem to have no pace in Malaysia which is a concern at this stage
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson