Malaysian GP 2009 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
joseff

Re: Malaysian GP 2009

DaveKillens wrote:One huge difference for rain situations is the change from grooved tires to slicks. The previous grooved tires were more forgiving when encountering damp conditions.
But with slicks, they are absolutely unforgiving when water is involved.
Man, how I miss Jean Alesi...

sstanescu

NormanBates wrote:edit: by the way, does anybody know where to get this kind of information for today's practice?
http://fialive.fiacommunications.com/en ... iming.aspx

blobslosak

http://twitter.com/Jamesallenonf1

gearbox change for rubens.

DaveKillens

joseff wrote:Man, how I miss Jean Alesi...
Me too, I really liked him a lot. he was my favorite driver for many, many years.

Now, it looks like rain is a good probability. One important thing to remember is that if any kind of intermediate or wet tire goes on the car during the race, the requirement to run two different compounds goes out the window. In short, if it rains, we won't see the soft option tire.
So the logical decision (if the race starts dry) is to start on the harder compound, run them as long as possible in the first two stints. Then if rain does not appear, run the softs at the end. That way, if it rains then the soft option tires will not be used. Currently, they are a handicap to running in the race. They may be just the right answer for qualifying, but not the race.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

jddh1

We're talking about the KERS being a shocker (pun intended) if it's gonna be a wet race. Well, not for Williams because they're running a Flywheel KERS. So, why bother with these batteries, which are heavy, overheat easily, and simply are not liked too much around here? I recommend sticking to the flywheel KERS and develop that instead. Yes, it's not as efficient for quick bursts as a battery KERS is, but you gotta start somewhere.

axle

jddh1 wrote:We're talking about the KERS being a shocker (pun intended) if it's gonna be a wet race. Well, not for Williams because they're running a Flywheel KERS. So, why bother with these batteries, which are heavy, overheat easily, and simply are not liked too much around here? I recommend sticking to the flywheel KERS and develop that instead. Yes, it's not as efficient for quick bursts as a battery KERS is, but you gotta start somewhere.
Only Williams arn't running it at all.
- Axle

DaveKillens

If the water is causing the KERS equipment to fault, it isn't in the batteries. They are sealed units. The odds are high that if there is any fault, it is in water getting to the connections or controlling equipment. And you would have connections and controlling equipment for a flywheel system too.

jddh1

axle wrote:
jddh1 wrote:We're talking about the KERS being a shocker (pun intended) if it's gonna be a wet race. Well, not for Williams because they're running a Flywheel KERS. So, why bother with these batteries, which are heavy, overheat easily, and simply are not liked too much around here? I recommend sticking to the flywheel KERS and develop that instead. Yes, it's not as efficient for quick bursts as a battery KERS is, but you gotta start somewhere.
Right, but when they do, they won't have overheating problems and stuff like that.

imightbewrong

jddh1 wrote:
axle wrote:
Right, but when they do, they won't have overheating problems and stuff like that.
No, they have a whole other world of problems I bet :)

ben_watkins

Rubens is to get a 5 place grid penalty due to a gearbox change following practice sessions on Friday.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9128.html
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

NormanBates

sstanescu wrote:
NormanBates wrote:edit: by the way, does anybody know where to get this kind of information for today's practice?
http://fialive.fiacommunications.com/en ... iming.aspx
Thanks!!

looking at the times for the 2nd session (the times are there, though the link is not ok), it looks like (I know everything is tentative and there's a lot of noise around this):

* ferrari is running great: both massa and raikkonen got their great times on relatively long stints
* mcl is still in trouble: mediocre times in short stints
* bmw is having slow times in long stints
* renault is not doing great: alonso was ill, piquet's time is in a very short stint
* toyota: mediocre times in short stints!!
* red bull is doing great!! 3rd and 5th times, on very long stints!
* williams is average to good: 4th and 8th on medium stints
* brawn seems to be doing worse than ferrari and red bull: slower times, on shorter stints (medium instead of long)
* toro rosso and force india are... toro rosso and force india, still

Shaddock

No, they have a whole other world of problems I bet :)
They could end up with weird gyroscopic effects depending on how it’s mounted, that could affect the yaw and pitch of the car. Mount it in the nose and could end up with another Mass Damper fiasco.

ben_watkins

The Williams KERS system is mounted in the centre of the car, behind the driver.

Video of the system here http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q ... =en&tab=wv#
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Giblet

Bernie has choses the time of day perfectly. The euro audience will be bigger, so more money for him. The potential danger of the rain will increase viewers as well and the potential for one of our our beloved drivers getting killed goes way up.

The man is a genius. At making his wallet deeper. I don't know if raw greed is good for the sport anymore. When he made paupers into millionaires nobody complained, but this is getting silly. I don't have a race in my country, Canada, because of his greed. one of the better actual RACES off the calendar.

BTW Bernie, you ass, you can hold a North American race and not foul up TV times anywhere in NA or Eu. When we banned Tobacco advertising we ponied up 30 million to FOM so the race could be justified. Then we get our race dropped from the calendar with no warning or talks.

/s
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

DaveKillens

Giblet wrote:Bernie has choses the time of day perfectly. The euro audience will be bigger, so more money for him. The potential danger of the rain will increase viewers as well and the potential for one of our our beloved drivers getting killed goes way up.

The man is a genius. At making his wallet deeper. I don't know if raw greed is good for the sport anymore. When he made paupers into millionaires nobody complained, but this is getting silly. I don't have a race in my country, Canada, because of his greed. one of the better actual RACES off the calendar.

BTW Bernie, you ass, you can hold a North American race and not foul up TV times anywhere in NA or Eu. When we banned Tobacco advertising we ponied up 30 million to FOM so the race could be justified. Then we get our race dropped from the calendar with no warning or talks.

/s
I'm in total agreement.