Chinese GP 2009 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
jamsbong

Re: Chinese GP 2009

To make mistakes is quite normal, Even the best of the best make them, Schumacher, Senna, Raikonnen, Alonso... They all have a list of embarrasing mistakes.

I know I sound optimistic here but I see it in Vettel, there is that magic or x-factor does not exist in other drivers. We'll see if I'm right.

ISLAMATRON

At the top there really isnt all that much between the best of them. Senna was great(the best ever IMO) but Prost bettered him on some days. Schumacher was outstanding but there were 9 times when even Rubans was better. Did we ever see MS tested by a great one in the same equipment a la Senna vs Prost? Unfortunately destiny robbed us of that opportunity.

We saw how close it was between Hamilton & Alonso... it could have been between who had a better --- that morning. As good as Vettle is he really hasnt even outshown his teammate that much this year. Lets sit back and enjoy the show.

jamsbong

djos wrote:
jddh1 wrote: Well, in that department, us at Ferrari have an upper hand if that is to be implemented. LOL

Anyway, loved this comment from Vettel:
My original car was called ‘Kate’. But then it got smashed at the opening race in Australia. So we called this one ‘Kate's Dirty Sister’ because it is more aggressive and faster.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This guy is quickly becoming my favorite character in F1 in a long time.
yeah he is awesome, when Webbo retires in a few years time Vettel will be my #1 favorite Driver. 8)
Vettel has got quite a fun character. Like Richard Hammond who name the old car Oliver, I thought this is so cute!

jamsbong

ISLAMATRON wrote:At the top there really isnt all that much between the best of them. Senna was great(the best ever IMO) but Prost bettered him on some days. Schumacher was outstanding but there were 9 times when even Rubans was better. Did we ever see MS tested by a great one in the same equipment a la Senna vs Prost? Unfortunately destiny robbed us of that opportunity.

We saw how close it was between Hamilton & Alonso... it could have been between who had a better --- that morning. As good as Vettle is he really hasnt even outshown his teammate that much this year. Lets sit back and enjoy the show.
I guess it is how you judge a driver is good or great. If you look at the numbers, You'll see that Hamilton has a perfect records so far. Schumacher pretty much broke all records during his era. Then these two can be called the best.

On the hand, drivers like Montoya, Ruben have shown so many times that he is super fast. However, why aren't always they champions? For me, I believe a driver has to have more than just speed and the right car. For me, it is how you overcome bad situations that sets you off above the rest. I personally do not think Webber has that ability or put it another way he can't do deal with bad situation as well as his teammate. Vettel has already proven twice that he can do it. Remember, he is only 21 years old. This is only the beginning and he will get better and better.

vasia

Briatore has completely gone off his rocker:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74656
And after that he spun. If everything had been perfect he would have finished fifth, after the two Red Bulls and the two Brawns. But our car is much better. I want to see our car with normal weather. The car is much more competitive. Fernando was second on Saturday and we saw we had the same level of fuel as Button.
Completely incorrect. Alonso had a lot less fuel than Button, based on when they made their first pit stops as well as the post-qualifying weights.
"And today, our performance... Behind the two Red Bulls and the two Brawns, it was us. We were quicker than McLaren, than Ferrari and BMW. I'm not jumping ahead because it's not the moment, but the car is better and it's only a question of going to Bahrain and hope the weather is not like in the last two races."
Did Briatore even watch the same race and look at the same data as everyone else? Is he partially blind? He makes absolutely no mention of Toyota. Glock in the Toyota was far faster than Alonso in the race, and Glock's pace was at about the same level as Brawn and very close to the Red Bulls. Alonso had 9th fastest lap in the race.

firefly

vasia wrote:Briatore has completely gone off his rocker:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74656
And after that he spun. If everything had been perfect he would have finished fifth, after the two Red Bulls and the two Brawns. But our car is much better. I want to see our car with normal weather. The car is much more competitive. Fernando was second on Saturday and we saw we had the same level of fuel as Button.
Completely incorrect. Alonso had a lot less fuel than Button, based on when they made their first pit stops as well as the post-qualifying weights.
"And today, our performance... Behind the two Red Bulls and the two Brawns, it was us. We were quicker than McLaren, than Ferrari and BMW. I'm not jumping ahead because it's not the moment, but the car is better and it's only a question of going to Bahrain and hope the weather is not like in the last two races."
Did Briatore even watch the same race and look at the same data as everyone else? Is he partially blind? He makes absolutely no mention of Toyota. Glock in the Toyota was far faster than Alonso in the race, and Glock's pace was at about the same level as Brawn and very close to the Red Bulls. Alonso had 9th fastest lap in the race.
Hmm yeah i saw that too. I thought it was a typo, but i guess i was wrong.

The top 3 cars in my books are Brawn, Red Bull and Toyota. It seems briatore is too optimistic. :lol:
Unsure about williams now that teams have caught up a little bit.

tweet

i have to say i am a bit pro alsonso, but i´ll try to show some of this very forum about "facts"

memory 1: everybody remembers Alonso was the driver with the lowest fuel to carry
but he althoug was 0,151s faster than Button and 0,454s faster than the first non RBR or Brawn GP car (Trulli whith Toyota)

memory 2: everybody has in mind that alonso pitted very early
yes he pitted in lap 7 right befor the restart, but they thougt the safefy car will stay for another 8-13laps AND Vettel was in in lap 15 the obvious 3 laps he had more fuel with him (7kg), so alonso could have stayed out for another 5 flying laps, thats a bad taktikal decision renault made...

memory 3: everybody remembers alsonso got 2nd in quali because he had virtually NO fuel with him
but if you look at the qualifying times:

Pos. Driver Team Time
1 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:36.184
2 F. Alonso Renault F1 1:36.381
3 M. Webber Red Bull 1:36.466
4 R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:36.493
5 J. Button Brawn GP 1:36.532
6 J. Trulli Toyota 1:36.835

and car weights:

Pos. Driver Car weight (kg)
1. Vettel 644.0kg
2. Alonso 637.0kg
3. Webber 646.5kg
4. Barrichello 661.0kg
5. Button 659.0kg
6. Trulli 664.5kg

and bare in mind that 10kg more fuel add about 0,2s on fast circuits. So you´ll see that if you add about 20kg and so about 0,4sec to alonso´s time, that that time was right behind the Brawns and in front of the best Toyota
With that additional 20kg alonso would have started from 5th place and with a common fuel load.

i´m not trying to say that renault is the thing to beat, i just want to show that they catched up and maybee are already equal or faster than toyota/williams

i also don´t like the far to big mouth of flavio, but pls start to considere the facts before you start throwing rocks at somebody...

i´m out
cheers

Roland Ehnström

tweet wrote:and bare in mind that 10kg more fuel add about 0,2s on fast circuits. So you´ll see that if you add about 20kg and so about 0,4sec to alonso´s time, that that time was right behind the Brawns and in front of the best Toyota
With that additional 20kg alonso would have started from 5th place and with a common fuel load.

i´m not trying to say that renault is the thing to beat, i just want to show that they catched up and maybee are already equal or faster than toyota/williams
Sorry, but I detect a little wishful thinking here. It is common knowledge that 10 kg of fuel costs at least 0.3, more likely 0.4 seconds a lap, just compare Q2 and Q3 times (Hamilton for example was 2.8 seconds slower in Q3 than Q2 with around 70 kg more fuel = 0.4 seconds per 10 kg of fuel). Also, Trulli had 27.5 kg more fuel than Alonso, not just 20 kg.

So let's re-do the maths: Alonso was 0.45 seconds faster than Trulli in Q3, but with the same fuel load he would have been around (27.5*0.035)-0.45=0.51 seconds behind Trulli. This is still an improvement compared to Malaysia (at least compared to Toyota if not to Red Bull), but to me it's clear that Renault are still not on the pace of the top teams. Neither is McLaren, Ferrari or BMW of course.

To me the pecking-order at the moment looks like this:

Red Bull & Brawn
Toyota & Williams
Ferrari & BMW & McLaren & Renault
Toro Rosso
Force India

Can the "big four" catch up? Who knows. I think they will, but it will take some time and they can't afford to give away points like they have been doing so far this season (Kubica's crashes, Hamilton's lies, Ferrari's poor strategy and reliability, Alonso's driving errors, etc, etc.). It promises to be a thrilling season, possibly the best ever. 8)

xpensive

0.04 s a lap per kg seems rather on the high side to me.
It would mean that after a 75 kg fuel-stop, you be 3 seconds off the pace?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

tweet

ok ,2s for 10kg might be to optimistic, but wether it is 0,3-0,35 or 0,4s ists not that far away and i just wanted to show that having iron bricks with some random memory quote´s written on it sometimes can be dangerous.

and james allen wrote in his blog:
He started the race from 13th place on the grid with a one stop fuel load. His car had around 80 kilos of fuel in it, some 46 kilos more than Vettel, which equates to around 1.6 second per lap extra.
refering to LH, and so his opinion is ~0,35s (for china)

and i want to call in mind that alonso virtually drove a new car in qualifying and had just about 20 laps for setup and that during quali. lets see what they can squeese out of the R29 for the next qualifying

Metar

vasia wrote:Did Briatore even watch the same race and look at the same data as everyone else? Is he partially blind? He makes absolutely no mention of Toyota. Glock in the Toyota was far faster than Alonso in the race, and Glock's pace was at about the same level as Brawn and very close to the Red Bulls. Alonso had 9th fastest lap in the race.
I'm sorry, but Glock changed his setup when he started from the pitlane. His setup was far more rain-optimized than the dry qualifiers out there.

Trouble is, we haven't had a single "calm" GP to analyze true pace. Even in Australia, the tyres and safety-cars gave us a very distorted view.

Roland Ehnström

xpensive wrote:0.04 s a lap per kg seems rather on the high side to me.
It would mean that after a 75 kg fuel-stop, you be 3 seconds off the pace?
No, you wouldn't, as you would also have fresh tires.

ISLAMATRON

You people are hurting your brains... just look at the Q2 times.

And regarding Alonso's times in the R29, as someone pointed out to me, they really just had time to slap on the new diffuser and no time to really test with it or tune the car for it... expect more speed out that combo.

sticky667

a little late on my part, since i've only started to watch the race now..

did anyone else notice this?

blobslosak

lol, was just about to post 'notice what?' then I spotted it. #-o