Belgian GP 2009 - Spa Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Belgian GP 2009 - Spa Francorchamps

After reviewing it again, both Kimi & Heidfeld went off, and Kimi Hit Kubica, knocking a piece of Bob's car off, but the biggest problem was that JB didnt see Grosjean tucked in right behind Kovi and didnt leave Grosjean enough space causing the contact that made him spin... all hell after that.

James

ISLAMATRON wrote:go straight thru the grass and not turn back in directly front of Kubica.

This discussion has nothing to do with LH, it is regarding Kimi's indiscretions and the stewards failure to act consistently.
Watch Kimi's onboard, after going off he continues in a straight line and the curve of the track brings him back on track. To turn left onto the grass would've been madness

James

it's fine to have all four wheels off the track when you're overtaking a ferrari, of course :D

ISLAMATRON

James wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:go straight thru the grass and not turn back in directly front of Kubica.

This discussion has nothing to do with LH, it is regarding Kimi's indiscretions and the stewards failure to act consistently.
Watch Kimi's onboard, after going off he continues in a straight line and the curve of the track brings him back on track. To turn left onto the grass would've been madness
So it was better to kit Kubica and damage his car?

And to be honest Sutil was more dodging the erratic Badoer more than he was passing him, but no it wa not a legal pass.

James

none of us (to my knowledge :D ) are f1 drivers so we can only guess :) but I think if you leave the track and are on grass at high speed you are less likely to spin if you continue at the angle you came off than if you brake and turn

ISLAMATRON

4. R. Kubica - BMW Sauber F1.09
Got the jump on his team-mate at the start in a much better race for BMW Sauber.

"I managed to make a good start and was second after the first corner. I was surprised to see Kimi next to me going through Eau Rouge. Approaching the fifth corner he braked very late and went off. It is a very tricky place. He came back on the track right in front of me and I played it safe as we saw a lot of accidents there over the weekend. Although we had a slight touch, I was able to continue. At times we lacked a bit of speed but, of course, it is good to be fighting for podiums again. The result means a lot of points for the team and is good. Unfortunately we didn’t have the chance to achieve anything better. The result proves we are quite competitive on low downforce tracks, which is a positive sign for Monza. However, we have to analyse why the car was more competitive and felt better during qualifying yesterday.

flynfrog

ISLAMATRON wrote:
flynfrog wrote:

strait where into the guard rail. You are really grasping at straws now.
there is no guard rail there, all he had to do was not turn the wheel directly back into Kubica. But I dont blame him, he can do whatever he wishes and not be penalized driving a red car, I might do that --- too.
Diesel wrote:Can someone explain to me how Kimi driving off track caused Grosjean to driving in to the back of button 2 corners later?
Kimi went off track twice, after La Source and after Les Combes

James

ISLAMATRON wrote:
4. R. Kubica - BMW Sauber F1.09
Got the jump on his team-mate at the start in a much better race for BMW Sauber.

"I managed to make a good start and was second after the first corner. I was surprised to see Kimi next to me going through Eau Rouge. Approaching the fifth corner he braked very late and went off. It is a very tricky place. He came back on the track right in front of me and I played it safe as we saw a lot of accidents there over the weekend. Although we had a slight touch, I was able to continue. At times we lacked a bit of speed but, of course, it is good to be fighting for podiums again. The result means a lot of points for the team and is good. Unfortunately we didn’t have the chance to achieve anything better. The result proves we are quite competitive on low downforce tracks, which is a positive sign for Monza. However, we have to analyse why the car was more competitive and felt better during qualifying yesterday.
lol an entirely unbiased opinion :D but c'mon whatever lets stop being silly!

i70q7m7ghw

Well nobody is officially disputing Kimi's moves. However, Grosjean is blaming Jenson.

IMO - the blame all belongs to Grosjean. He was most definately behind Jenson as they arrived at Les Combes and I think it was just another case of trying to put a car in to a space that was never really there. Jenson was sniffing at a move down the outside of Kova coming up to Les Combes but he backed way out of it otherwise he wouldn't have made the corner, at that point Grosjean hits the back of him doing what Jenson was trying not to do to Kova ahead.

If anyone has got anything that proves otherwise I'd love to see it, but from everything I've seen so far it's 100% Grosjean's fault which then had the knock on effect of the STR crashing in to Hamilton who was trying to avoid a spinning Button.

zgred

Drivers cleared over first-lap melee
itv.com wrote:Belgian Grand Prix race stewards have confirmed they will take no against any of the four drivers involved in the multi-car pile-up on the opening lap of Sunday’s race.
(...)
Although the TV footage showed that the sport’s two new rookie drivers, Alguersuari and Grosjean, appeared to be more at fault for their respective collisions with two of the sport’s major stars, both youngsters felt there was little they could have done to avoid contact.
(...)

Ray

Sums the race up nicely I think

flynfrog

Ray wrote:Image

Sums the race up nicely I think
I agree Ray. Is that a watch on his wrist?

ISLAMATRON

Great race for Fisi & FIF1 no doubt.

Is the high nose that much superior in the super high speed tracks? FIF1, Ferrari, BMW, and even RBR switching back to their early season nose... very interesting... any of the aero guys want to shed some light?

James

James wrote:Image

it's fine to have all four wheels off the track when you're overtaking a ferrari, of course :D
I've noticed it before, does anybody know what the black rectangle thing is? its behing the right wing mirror and sticks up from the sidepod by about 5cm. it's between and above the speaker and full screen buttons on the iplayer

WhiteBlue

I was uncomfortable with the way the PTB have handled off track action at La Source before. Alonso pushed his team mate off there some years ago and nobody cared because there was an asphalt run off that could be used as an extension of the track.

In my book forcing a competitor off track into gravel or onto asphalt should make no difference. They disregarded Mr. Alonso's unsporting behavior so it seems logical that you should be allowed to use the asphalt run off as an extension of the race track. Shite politics but consistent.

I'm much in favour of treating everything off track the same way. So if you force a competitor off track into gravel, a ravine, a concrete wall or an asphalt run off should be the same. Punishment should be meted out regardless of the location. Same goes for overtaking competitors off track. Kimi drove a great race with fantastic aggression and popular applause. Nevertheless he went off track and gained position. He did not cut the corner but went around on the outside. This is against conventional wisdom. But he profited from using the off track tarmac to avoid braking which he would have been forced if he had stayed on track. I think it is wrong to allow this. Obviously this is opinion and the PTB thinks different. I just think rules should be clear, absolute and the same for all. Ferrari prooved again that it does not apply to them.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 30 Aug 2009, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)