Belgian GP 2009 - Spa Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WhiteBlue

Re: Belgian GP 2009 - Spa Francorchamps

oops DP
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium

James wrote:
James wrote:Image

it's fine to have all four wheels off the track when you're overtaking a ferrari, of course :D
I've noticed it before, does anybody know what the black rectangle thing is? its behing the right wing mirror and sticks up from the sidepod by about 5cm. it's between and above the speaker and full screen buttons on the iplayer
Force India have chosen that as their place for their telemetry data transmitter. Seemingly they are testing out this for the the rule change in 2011 for standardised telemetry systems that are open to all to see, and for teams to compair say Sutil to say Jenson and such things like that. All this is part of the standardised ECU and electronics packaging that the cars are going to start to have to have on them.

Thats where the transmitter for each car will be mandated to have it, as they are also going to try and remove all the different radio transmitters and the likes from the drivers view for 2011 as well.

Each team is testing something out at the moment for future years rule tinkerings.

James

oh wow that's fascinating, thanks for the explanation. I cant wait for next year :D

PlatinumZealot

James wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:go straight thru the grass and not turn back in directly front of Kubica.

This discussion has nothing to do with LH, it is regarding Kimi's indiscretions and the stewards failure to act consistently.
Watch Kimi's onboard, after going off he continues in a straight line and the curve of the track brings him back on track. To turn left onto the grass would've been madness
He can use the brake pedal. Gauge his self up to come out behind the other car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

tk421

ISLAMATRON wrote:Kimi passed 2 cars while off track after La Source, Ferrari get away with cheating again.. what's new?
:roll:

If it's not been said already, I think this race is a terrific example of why a driver should receive one Championship point for attaining Pole Position...
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Conceptual

I guess the real question here is "Did Kimi engage the KERS while off track?"

That would be the most telling. If he did, then I say foul, but if not, then I say OK.

IS this information available?

flynfrog

Conceptual wrote:I guess the real question here is "Did Kimi engage the KERS while off track?"

That would be the most telling. If he did, then I say foul, but if not, then I say OK.

IS this information available?
wouldn't it make more sense to merge at speed than 10mph slower

Sorta like the old lady who I swear to god one day I will just run over that manages to get in front of me ever morning on the on ramp

modbaraban

ISLAMATRON wrote:Kimi passed 2 cars while off track after La Source, Ferrari get away with cheating again.. what's new?
You seem to be pretty worried about Kimi running wide there. Is it ok for Button and Badoer? And last year it was half the field including Raikkonen, Massa and Hamilton IIRC. Nobody was penalized.

And for the record Kimi was 3rd before leaving the track so KERS usage is quite irrelevant here. It was just about avioding contact just like in every other situation except that the car is red.

Ray

I think that black hole that's being talked about in another topic would engulf us all if Lewis ever drove for Ferrari. You wouldn't be able to criticize Hamilton without being accused of being a racist 'hater', yet on the other hand the Ferraris get away with everything because of the FIA and the color of the car. That's a unstoppable force meeting an immovable object situation if I've ever seen one. Oh the fickle fans of F1. :roll:

nipo

All-in-all a great race to watch. Generally there's been quite a few overtaking manouvres. It's surely good for the show and we've missed those for long enough!

Kimi seems to be very determined and had a particularly strong fighting spirit at this track. He really had to earn his victory, much like the way Button did several times earlier this season, perhaps under more difficult conditions.

Allow me to say this but if you noticed, Fisi just allowed Kimi to come up behind him too close when the Safety Car pitted. At that point I was thinking "Oh, there, Kimi has a good chance", and you all know what happened next... If I remember right when Alonso was is his winning ways one of his key strengths was to pull away after an SC period. He usually managed a 1-2s gap in just a few corners, when his pace was actually not that much quicker then the car behind (the gap only increased much less dramatically afterwards). I really think that's one of the things that separates a champion from a very quick driver. Of course that might have to do with the R26/27 being good at keeping the tyres warm or whatever, but, my point is Fisi is just letting Kimi get too close... That, together with KERS, probably cost him the victory.

I wouldn't call it a fantastic drive from Fisi as a result. He had the machine to win, but he didn't deliver.

I agree Kimi's move back on track in front of the BMW might have been a little too aggressive. But it works for me :wink: having witnessed Luca concede a place at the pits last time. Man, you've got to have some balls for racing!

If you ask me, I'd rather prefer having the dangerous Romain on track than the dull Luca (I am not saying I fancy crazy drivers, don't get me wrong). All respect to Luca for I think he genuinely tried his best, but I really hope that the second Ferrari will be driven by a proper racer in Monza.

Oh... and... Trulli must be truly sad!!!

PlatinumZealot

Force India? Machine to win? never thought i would hear that :shock:

I think he did the best that anybody could do. Even if Michael Schumacher was in there I don't think he would have won. Kimi had it planned out from the start.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sknguy

nipo wrote:Fisi just allowed Kimi to come up behind him too close when the Safety Car pitted. At that point I was thinking "Oh, there, Kimi has a good chance", and you all know what happened next...
And I seem to recall in the past, when Fisi was Alonso's wing man at Renault, he'd had trouble keeping pesky cars in the back. lol

But, good for Fisi and good for Kimi. A thoroughly enjoyable race. I don't think there was much to complain about Kimi's off at turn one. If any team thinks otherwise I'm sure they'll protest.

I was absolutely amazed at the speed of the Force India car. :wtf: Cranky! They had it dialed in for those turns. That was cool! Looks like the Force India car IS for real. They had me fooled.

ringo

Ray wrote:I think that black hole that's being talked about in another topic would engulf us all if Lewis ever drove for Ferrari. You wouldn't be able to criticize Hamilton without being accused of being a racist 'hater', yet on the other hand the Ferraris get away with everything because of the FIA and the color of the car. That's a unstoppable force meeting an immovable object situation if I've ever seen one. Oh the fickle fans of F1. :roll:
If Hamilton went to ferrari who would be his team mate?
You trying to scare Alonso, so that kimi keeps his seat? [-X :lol:
For Sure!!

ss.vamsikrishna

What Kimi has done today is beyond awesome...i dont have words to praise him ...
i have been his long time fan, and always will be for rest of my life...he is the best ...he was determined ..and i have a strange feeling that when he is at SPA he feels that he owns that circuit..that makes him much more superior than usual...

To the man Kimi..take that Alonso in your face :lol:

Kimi winning with a much much inferior car then the pack...and did it in style...

also to Force India..they did a great job esp Fisi...

So to the Man Kimi, and to my country India =D>

ds.raikkonen

ringo wrote:..If Hamilton went to ferrari....
Are you nuts?
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC