Belgian GP 2009 - Spa Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ds.raikkonen

Re: Belgian GP 2009 - Spa Francorchamps

DaveKillens wrote:I believe KERS may really have an impact at Spa. Not to increase peak velocity, but to accelerate just a little quicker to tuck the nose inside for a pass...
But wont the KERS have an effect on the top speed with a low downforce configuration of the wings?
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Scotracer
Scotracer

ds.raikkonen wrote:
DaveKillens wrote:I believe KERS may really have an impact at Spa. Not to increase peak velocity, but to accelerate just a little quicker to tuck the nose inside for a pass...
But wont the KERS have an effect on the top speed with a low downforce configuration of the wings?
The drag will still eat it up. KERS does not make sense to be used at top speed.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Conceptual
Conceptual

Scotracer wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:
The drag will still eat it up. KERS does not make sense to be used at top speed.
Does anyone think that there would only be two teams using KERS regularly, and being dropped for 2010 if all of these crazy restrictions and regulations weren't placed upon it?

It seriously makes me nauseous that it could be worth so much more, given the room to grow...

flynfrog

Conceptual wrote:
The drag will still eat it up. KERS does not make sense to be used at top speed.[/quote

Does anyone think that there would only be two teams using KERS regularly, and being dropped for 2010 if all of these crazy restrictions and regulations weren't placed upon it?

It seriously makes me nauseous that it could be worth so much more, given the room to grow...[/quote]
Not really to get any more power out of it it will have to get heavier most of the cars are pushing weight limits with as it is. Taking off the revlimit would provide more power at no weight penalty KERS is a marketing gimick nothing more.

ds.raikkonen

However, and please excuse me for going off topic a bit. KERS maybe abandoned in F1, and it makes me sick too as they have spent so much time & money over it, it will find its use in road cars in the near future, and that might make the effort worthwhile.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

PlatinumZealot

Toyota Prius?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lkocev

I think so that the most usefull places for KERS usage will be after La Source, and after Savelot. These are turns followed by very long full-throttle sections. I'm pretty sure that Eau Rouge will still be easily flat-out because if you look through bar555's braking analysis threads, you'll see that this year the apex speeds through turns is actually higher than last. The cars may have less downforce but the slicks obviously offset that.

@ds.raikkoenen The deployment of KERS does not directly effect top speed in an F1 car, rather it is used in a way that will make it reach that speed quicker. You will notice Drivers using it more or less immediatley after exiting turns(particularly slow ones), meaning its performance advantage is not increasing top speed, its advantage is increasing the acceleration rate (albeit momentarily). Think of it as increasing the 'area under the graph' of speed, with respect to time. Indeed in somecases it affects top speed, perhaps increasing it by 1 or 2 km/h, however that is a consequential effect of KERS and not the aim of it. The aim is like I said, momentarily increasing the acceleration rate.

ds.raikkonen

Thanks for the explanation lkocev.I quite understand that KERS increases the acceleration just like the temporary overboost button on the 997 turbo(from 620N-m to 690 N-m). I thought it might increase the top end speed too. Well, its clear now...FP1 has just begun. Lets see whats what.Trulli has just done a 1:49:675, too bad i dont get the live telecast of the Practice sessions :(

WhiteBlue

It is raining in Spa. Trulli currently leading the time sheets.

Sky is showing slow motions of the Ferrari trailing vapour from the wings. Pretty sight but the rain is getting heavier.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

megz

anyone have a feed? nevermind found my regular one hiding :)
Last edited by megz on 28 Aug 2009, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

No, not on the internet. I'm watching Sky sport HD Live on Satellite.

Nico Rosberg is back in the box and Heikki is now the only driver on track.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 28 Aug 2009, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ISLAMATRON

megz wrote:anyone have a feed? nevermind found my regular one hiding :)

pm please?

WhiteBlue

Heikki takes an excursion through the gravel at Rivage.

megz

Whitmarsh says Hamilton wont go out in interest to save tyres "they so desperately need" yet admitted 30seconds before they expect a dry quali and race.... :roll:

Roland Ehnström

megz wrote:Whitmarsh says Hamilton wont go out in interest to save tyres "they so desperately need" yet admitted 30seconds before they expect a dry quali and race.... :roll:
If it's a dry race they don't need to test in rain. If it's a wet race they need to save rain tires for the race. So they stay in the box either way. Simple logic.