Abu Dhabi GP 2009 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ESPImperium

Abu Dhabi GP 2009 - Yas Marina

I know that Brazil hasnt even started FP1, but this video is the first of a lap of the Yas Marina Circuit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvjwBEY ... r_embedded

Circuit Length: 5.554 Kilometers
Race Distance: 305.470 Kilometers
Race Distance: 55 Laps
Tyres Compounds: Soft/Medium
Last edited by Steven on 19 Oct 2009, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed topic title

bhall

Re: Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi GP, Yas Marina Circuit

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvjwBEYk50[/youtube]

Obviously not really F1. I tender it anyway.

andartop

S*%t! It looks like a track out of Wipeout!!!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

mx_tifoso

You just wanted to be the creator of the last GP thread of the season! :D

I'm about to start the Bahraini GP thread for March.... 8)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Saribro

andartop wrote:S*%t! It looks like a track out of Wipeout!!!
Heh, I was thinking TrackMania Nations, stadium circuit jollyness :).

Giblet

mx_tifosi wrote:You just wanted to be the creator of the last GP thread of the season! :D

I'm about to start the Bahraini GP thread for March.... 8)

I was going to do that sometime around Turkey, but I resisted :)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

King Six

But you got the syntax wrong, so here's the general rule!

[Country] GP [Year] - Circuit name
So:
Abu Dhabi GP 2009 - Yas Marina (Circuit*)

*optional.

:-k

You can't say sponsors because it's not NASCAR/USA and Sponsors don't dominate the sport... well except the cars, the teams, the financial aspect, the races, some other stuff...
Last edited by Steven on 19 Oct 2009, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: That is the exact specification of our now usual race threads!

ISLAMATRON

With all this points system stupidity behind us it will be nice to see all the front runners/hard chargers gunning for the win. Watching "champioship contenders" driving to not lose 5th place is absurd, I'd much rather see them gunning for the win... EVERY RACE!

StrFerrari4Ever

Your right ISLAMATRON all the frustrations of the whole season will be taken out in Abu Dhabi as many drivers will go out for the last win of the season.

Confused_Andy

I think its good, It'll be interesting to watch Barrichello & Vettel battle it out for second.

I'm looking forward to it as it'll be a "fun" race with no heart-in-mouth moments we had from today!

ISLAMATRON

Now people are talking about points racing FOR 2ND PLACE???... When will the madness end? --- points, Go for the win, balls to the wall, Do or Die, high risk high reward, all out Kill or be killed racing, That is what i want to see.

Please someone put up the points permutations so wee can see who will be 13th in the drivers standing!!!!!!

I just wish Rubens took 2nd after Webber in Brazil and JB didnt score and something similar in Abu dhabi so you guys could see how absurd this whole points racing BS is.. RB(2 wins) would beat JB(6 wins) over some silly points.

BErnie's "gold medals" are stupid but the idea behind them is sound... every race is a singular event and they wshouls all be trying to win every race.

Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote:BErnie's "gold medals" are stupid but the idea behind them is sound.
Hang on a moment. If Bernie's medal system is stupid, then what are you proposing? As I recall, something like 1000pts for a win? On that basis, this season would be over aaages ago

Richard

Some juicy battles coming up. Can Rubens get ahead of Vettel? Can Lewis stay ahead of Kimi? Can McL stay ahead of Ferrari?

Oh, and Alonso has been quiet recently. I'd expect him to have a few fireworks for his last Renault race for a while.

ISLAMATRON

richard_leeds wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:BErnie's "gold medals" are stupid but the idea behind them is sound.
Hang on a moment. If Bernie's medal system is stupid, then what are you proposing? As I recall, something like 1000pts for a win? On that basis, this season would be over aaages ago
The championship may have been over BUT NOT THE SEASON... like I said each race is a battle, and in a battle only the winner matters, who cares who came in 5th... The Abu Dhabi race wont be any less interesting because the WDC & WCC are already decided, quite the contrary... it will be harder fought because people wont be so afraid to pass a rookie to not endanger their 5th place finish.

I'm not saying that JB was silly to tip toe around this today, or Lewis last year, they were just playing towards the rules, the rules which need changing... Some time ago a win was worth 9 points and no points for 7th and back, then they change to 10 points and they used to be able to drop bad races and all this arbitrary bullshit, there is nothing arbitrary about wins,.

Who cares when the season ends when the best driver/car combo's are pussyfooting around hoping and praying not to get a DNF.

And like I said Rubens could have easily got 2nd today with JB out of the points and something smilar happen in Abu Dhabi and then we've have a WCC with 2 wins while JB has 6 and SV has 3.

What do you want deciding the championships? Wins or 5th place finishes, or even reliability.

The WDC was over several races ago, only some obscure points permutations is what has allowed it to continue this far.

So instead of getting to watch Webbo have a great race up front, I had to endure watching an impotent Button battling a 1st race driver for 7th place for 20 damn laps... big whoopti --- do.

Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote: What do you want deciding the championships? Wins or 5th place finishes, or even reliability.

The WDC was over several races ago, only some obscure points permutations is what has allowed it to continue this far.
The tactical strategic stuff is what I like about this sport. So yes, the points system works for me. And yes reliability should be a big part of the game as well, shame it has become less of an issue in recent years.

Ps – you’d hate competitive sailing, the Olympic gold medal winner often comes last in the latter rounds of the regatta. I guess the decathlon leaves you cold too?