Abu Dhabi GP 2009 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2009 - Yas Marina

Force India's Adrian Sutil was particularly praiseworthy of the track's floodlights, which were used as darkness descended during the second session.

"I think it is better than Singapore for sure," he said. "Singapore is too light, it is too bright and you don’t have the feeling of a night race.

"Here there is definitely enough light - you really see the track clearly - and it is nice. Driving into the sunset was quite cool with the sun there. It was a good feeling."

tk421

The facilities? Yeah, they're first rate. But I must disagree with most of you: I think this is another dull, boring circuit that lacks any sort of imagination by "yours truly" Hermann Tilke. In my opinion, he is substituting real corners like we see in the great circuits with gimmicks like the pit lane, his unimaginative trademark left-right sweeper (Malaysia, China, Yas, Bahrain, etc.), his pedestrian long-straight-followed-by-chicane/hairpin, and the idiotic pit exits that go straight into apexes.

Yawn......

I think I'll replay the Brasilian GP instead; at least that circuit has character...
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

ISLAMATRON

tk421 wrote:his pedestrian long-straight-followed-by-chicane/hairpin
Those are the only conditions that modern F1 cars can readily pass... and it allows for a tiny bit of side-by-side action that we barely get anymore.

PlatinumZealot

tk421 wrote:The facilities? Yeah, they're first rate. But I must disagree with most of you: I think this is another dull, boring circuit that lacks any sort of imagination by "yours truly" Hermann Tilke. In my opinion, he is substituting real corners like we see in the great circuits with gimmicks like the pit lane, his unimaginative trademark left-right sweeper (Malaysia, China, Yas, Bahrain, etc.), his pedestrian long-straight-followed-by-chicane/hairpin, and the idiotic pit exits that go straight into apexes.

Yawn......

I think I'll replay the Brasilian GP instead; at least that circuit has character...
Give it some time. All the drivers are giving it rave reviews. They say it is like a Monza, Silverstone and Singapore combination.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

freedom_honda

Five of the top 6 fastest car through the speed trap has a Mercedes engine at the back.

WhiteBlue

Alonso, Liuzzi, Sutil, Grosjean and Fisico out in Q1

Alonso and Fisichella are negative surprises. BMW Sauber on P4 and P5 are a good surprise.

Jean Todt was shown on Sky visiting the Sauber garage. Hopefully there will be some good work to keep Sauber racing. Perhaps they can snatch a grid place if Toyota falts, as some experts expect them to do.

Next stop for Todt was a chat with Montezemolo.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Kovalainen has a gear box failure. He could go through to Q3 though.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 31 Oct 2009, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Kimi, Kobayashi, Kovalainen, Nakajima and Algersuari are out in Q2

WhiteBlue

Hamilton Vettel Webber is the order. Hamilton should be able to run an easy start finish race if the pit stops go alright.

Webber looks really pissed off. Beaten once again in Qualli by the tream mate.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

GTO wrote:Incredible circuit facilities including the Marina, Yas Marina Hotel, Sun Tower and Yacht Club and track c/w permanent, covered grandstands! Only in the Middle East...the money capital of the world. There are also some fantastic circuit pics on their website.
http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/phot ... rcuit.html

Does anyone know the cost of this facilty?
The hotel on BBC commentary was said to cost £800m. The total spend by 2020 on the island will be in the region of £25 billion GBP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

n smikle wrote:
tk421 wrote:The facilities? Yeah, they're first rate. But I must disagree with most of you: I think this is another dull, boring circuit that lacks any sort of imagination by "yours truly" Hermann Tilke. *snip*
Yawn......

Give it some time. All the drivers are giving it rave reviews. They say it is like a Monza, Silverstone and Singapore combination.

How come Tilke is the only firm used to design & build new F1 circuits in the recent years? Is no competition available to put in competitive quotes? No other business would allow such blatant insider trading, surely!?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Giblet
Giblet

The competition is these guys:

Apex

But Tilke is in the pocket of Bernie, or vice versa.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

ben_watkins wrote:
n smikle wrote:
tk421 wrote:The facilities? Yeah, they're first rate. But I must disagree with most of you: I think this is another dull, boring circuit that lacks any sort of imagination by "yours truly" Hermann Tilke. *snip*
Yawn......

How come Tilke is the only firm used to design & build new F1 circuits in the recent years? Is no competition available to put in competitive quotes? No other business would allow such blatant insider trading, surely!?
Firstly i am starting to enjoy the track a little, it has a couple mickey mouse elements as per Tilke design, but may be his best design since maybes Malaysia or Bahrain arguably. I like the first sector down T6/T7 The back straight is okay, but not really a fan of long streights like that, i prefer straights like the second back straight, slightly bendy. Turns 15/16/17 look really well laid out, like T9/T10 at Bahrain and T7/T8 at Sepang, whitch i like, basically a double apex right or left hander with or without a staged braking zone that includes braking and turning together unloading a front wheel.

The track may look a little dull or boring for spectators, but as Anthony Davidson said during FP3 this morning, Tilke needs to ask a few more drivers about the next track he designs.

Id also like to see a few more non Tilke designed tracks or Tilke'd older tracks on the callender. Encourage competition in this area, as im shure that would make Tilke make better tracks. But for now it will just have to do as it is.

roost89
roost89

looking at the times. I wasn't able to see or hear quali =(
Anyway, Lewis is 7 tenths ahead. how light is he :?:
I can see him getting away really quickly

Something else I found interesting looking at the differences between the Q1` and Q2 times are that quite a few drivers go more slowly in Q2 than in Q1
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

ISLAMATRON

Pos Driver Weight (kg)
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 658.5
2. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 663.0
3. Webber Red Bull-Renault 660.0
4. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 655.0
5. Button Brawn-Mercedes 657.0
6. Trulli Toyota 661.0
7. Kubica BMW-Sauber 654.5
8. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 664.0
9. Rosberg Williams-Toyota 665.0