Australian GP 2010 - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr

Re: Australian GP 2010 (Melbourne)

You're right it is hard to tell. Best screen grab I could do:

Could be either front wing or from the lower part of the hub where the brakes are mounted.

Washngo

I'd say this circled bit suggests the sparks are coming from the front wing. Interesting pic though.

myurr

Washngo wrote:I'd say this circled bit suggests the sparks are coming from the front wing. Interesting pic though.
I was about to agree with you but then noticed the third streak. You have the two main streaks, outboard suggesting that they're coming from the front wing, but then there's a third streak coming across that looks like it comes out from inside the wheel.

Could be that it's bounced off the suspension and back in towards the wheel, but it makes me wonder if it's as straight forward as the wing hitting the curb. Also the wing didn't spark like that when it went over the curb in the other direction! Admittedly there will be some flex, but enough for that?

WhiteBlue

It would be interesting to know if they worked on the wheel in parc ferme. Unfortunately I don't have the technical report downloaded. With the back to back races they pushed the on event data immediately into the archives where I can't get to them. Anyway, it isn't Vettel's fault if something bottomed out over the curb. The team has to prepare the car in such a way that he can drive it as fast as he can.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

hollus

myurr wrote:
godlameroso wrote: Watch around 1:13 in this video, you can see the slam that the suspension receives.
Looks like the tyre being pulled outwards laterally as he comes back over the curb with the sparks coming from something inside the hub itself. I'm going to guess that this should not happen!
I agree! He drives his wheel completely out of the curb, and then back in to the curb. The first part is OK, the second means pulling the tyre in through a vertical gap of the wrong type. Driver Error! Curbs are one way only devices.
Any chance that this could have anything to do with a mechanical failure in the same wheel later on?
Rivals, not enemies.

Washngo

myurr wrote:I was about to agree with you but then noticed the third streak. You have the two main streaks, outboard suggesting that they're coming from the front wing, but then there's a third streak coming across that looks like it comes out from inside the wheel.
If it's the streak i think you are referring to, I'm thinking the reason that spark is coming from there is because it has been channelled there - designed so the airflow cools the brakes down.

See also the sparks coming from Schumacher's damaged noise as it hits the tarmac:

Vettel's nose hit the curbing.

myurr

Yup can see the similarity with Schumachers wing sparking, but note how the sparks on Schumachers car go to the outside of the tyre, whereas with Vettel they're all to the inside of the tyre.

I can see how it could just be the wing flexing, but I fail to see how we can say that it's conclusive.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Did Schu not have suspension damage or was this just speculation?

godlameroso

Well if anyone remembers 2005 the Mclaren was also a very fast car but was saddled with mechanical gremlins. I propose that it wasn't gremlins but Raikkonen's "kamikaze take no prisoners" driving style that caused a good bunch of those failures. If you notice Alonso's qualifying lap, which can be seen at f1.com, you notice that there are definitely no where near as many sparks coming out of his car. I don't have any Webber onboards but I doubt his car did that.
Saishū kōnā

Mr Alcatraz

nipo wrote:I must admit I screamed a "YES!!!" watching Alonso's spin at Turn 1. As I have pointed out in other threads I never liked the guy and his coming to my favourite team made things even worse. However something within me told myself that he's probably going to climb back up in no time like nothing's happened, and probably finish around 5th or 6th. In the end he was even better... that was a storming drive for sure. For me, though, Massa is still in front of him at the end so I'm happy it went that way.

Now I wonder, if this happens again once or twice - i.e. Alonso stuck behind Massa when the latter is lacking pace // This race, though, he seems to be quite "obedient" and played good boy to his new (and supposedly last) team. Let's see how long that lasts. :roll:
Actually I thought Fred's Herculean effort that kept "The Boss" from passing, he did gratefully.

Am I the only enthusiast that believes Massa (who drives for my favorite team, and whose talent I took notice of at Sauber for having an uncanny ability to finish in the points while driving 1 stop strategies for a mid-pack team, when the front runners were all on two stoppers)!
had a snowballs chance in hell of keeping LH from dusting him if Ferrari let the faster of their two cars at the time pass? It was a strategic move that Ferrari made after considering whether or not Fred would be able to pass Kubinski?
That was one of the greatest tail-gunner jobs I've had the pleasure of viewing in quite some time. If it was "the Boss" exchanging rolls, Anthony would be screaming bloody murder (if he was still around) for McL' having the gall to not let "His Boy" through!
This is of course only MHO
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ringo

Alonso was a sitting duck until Webber saved the day. He held out admirable though up to that point!
Good defense from him still, and he was obviously saving Massa's skin. Massa owes him 1. :wink:

I think Lewis had some other opportunities to pass, but he may not have trusted going side by side with an Angry Alonso. Neither may yield and that may have caused an accident.

Does anyone have a shot where Hamilton held off the 2 Ferraris at once? That was defense!
can't remember when in the race though. :|
For Sure!!

Mr Alcatraz

ringo wrote:Alonso was a sitting duck until Webber saved the day. He held out admirable though up to that point!
Good defense from him still, and he was obviously saving Massa's skin. Massa owes him 1. :wink:

I think Lewis had some other opportunities to pass, but he may not have trusted going side by side with an Angry Alonso. Neither may yield and that may have caused an accident.

Does anyone have a shot where Hamilton held off the 2 Ferraris at once? That was defense!
can't remember when in the race though.
:|
Fair play to you.
But as the expression goes:
"What have you done for me lately"?
I know!!! So don't bother :sick:
Cheers my man :D
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pandamasque

Shrieker

ringo wrote:Alonso was a sitting duck until Webber saved the day. He held out admirable though up to that point!
I concur. I also wathced the replay of the incident multiple times. Alonso had a lot of trouble slowing the car down (locked front right wheel also) and barely made out of the corner slipping and sliding. Rosberg, 3 places down caught him up, and Alonso had to shut the door on his face the following corner to keep his position. Lewis was surely going to get past if not for Webber.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

komninosm

Shrieker wrote:Lewis had Alonso. He was on the outside, Alonso inside and he locked his brakes and was going wide. Hamilton initiated the switch back to take the place and then...

BANG !

Webber strikes back...
Exactly! Hamilton would have passed Alonso right on that turn exit if Webber hadn't crashed into him. I can't blame Webber too much though. He saw a chance to take Hamilton there and took it. He should have waited though and then both would have passed Alonso on that turn exit. Did you see how fast Rosberg close in on Alonso? He almost passed him! Alonso exited that turn with very poor acceleration. He was a piece of cake to pass then.