British GP 2010 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: British GP 2010 - Silverstone

Copied from the Force India website:

Force India Formula One Team Limited
Dadford Road, Silverstone, Northamptonshire, NN12 8TJ
United Kingdom

forty-two

richard_leeds wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Point taken but McL is the only team with british drivers, I remember Mansell having better than usual performances there and was it DC claiming it was worth at least a tenth a lap?
That will probably be a motivating factor for the unique factor of a team/factory/ drivers all flying the same flag. When did that last happen?

Overall, I imagine the pit lane will have a cheery feel in FP1 because so many of the people there will have had time at home with family, with familiar food, drink and climate.

Scratch that comment about climate, we're in a heatwave!

Haha, Rich, I love your comment. It hasn't rained for four days and Thames Water are threatening a hosepipe ban!

All joking aside though, it is pretty warm here right now but metoffice website long-range forecast is 50/50 for rain on the race day.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

andartop wrote:Call me what you will but I really really hate new layouts on good old historical tracks. Hopefully it won't be anywhere near as bad as the new Hockenheimring and grandpa Schumi won't get too confused and cut left through the barriers at Abbey! :lol:
+1

I agree, Silverstone has been regularly complemented by drivers of all nationalities. i suspect the new section was mandated by billionaire Bernie for reasons unknown to us, the fans of the sport!

Disclaimer - I don't know this for a fact, merely my opinion! (I know FOM has good lawyers!)

forty-two

ISLAMATRON wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:I think groovy Lou uses the home field advantage and takes an unexpected win from pole.
This track is the home field for a lot of the teams. I think RB or Merc are closest, Lotus furthest?
Point taken but McL is the only team with british drivers, I remember Mansell having better than usual performances there and was it DC claiming it was worth at least a tenth a lap?

Just hope to see a good race and I think the new layout looks terrific.
I'm gonna have an enormous St. George's flag waving, in your honour Islamatron, just in case you catch a flight over for the race and happen to be sitting behind me! :lol: Only kidding!

forty-two

andrew wrote:Are Williams not close to Silverstone?
I think Williams USED to be located in Didcot, just down the road really. I lived there for three years, but now I'm closer to McL. I am pretty sure they have moved now though.

Perhaps my living nearby is a good thing for the teams, if anyone needs any help, I'll be happy to accept a moving grant! :lol:

forty-two

I've never been to a GP before, but I have some questions for you seasoned pro's:

How good/bad is the ANALOGUE TV signal around silverstone? I have a pocket TV, but don't know if it'll be any good.

How much does a kangaroo TV cost at silverstone, and can they be hired on the day?

When should one arrive at the circuit on race day to ensure a good build-up?

Any other forum members going to this GP, please PM me if you fancy a beer on race day.

Cheers

ISLAMATRON

forty-two wrote:I'm gonna have an enormous St. George's flag waving, in your honour Islamatron, just in case you catch a flight over for the race and happen to be sitting behind me! :lol: Only kidding!
Just wait till some rabid fans block the sun and your entire view with their HUGE flags/signs, it is infuriating.

I'm talking 20 feet by 15 feet at least(on 30 foot poles), hopefully the high winds Silverstone is known for will blow those idiots away.
forty-two wrote:How much does a kangaroo TV cost at silverstone, and can they be hired on the day?

Kangaroo is cool but you really want your eyes on the track... you can watch the replay at home for free... but that mobile app they have on the F1.com site is really helpful, and free... Roos were 90 for the weekend(no daily rate, weekend only) in canada, with a 250 deposit... or something like that, someone correct me if I misremembered.

I got to the track early in canada because I had a gen admin ticket and wanted a good view... but if you have a seat you can get there whenever you want, but for a real race fan the support races are great entertainment too.

andrew

5 day weather forcast from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5000

Scotracer

forty-two wrote:I've never been to a GP before, but I have some questions for you seasoned pro's:

How good/bad is the ANALOGUE TV signal around silverstone? I have a pocket TV, but don't know if it'll be any good.

How much does a kangaroo TV cost at silverstone, and can they be hired on the day?

Any other forum members going to this GP, please PM me if you fancy a beer on race day.

Cheers
For every GP I've been to we usually arrive at the circuit for 9am-10am. Silverstone has good access so it shouldn't be too much of an issue getting in there (I've been to the British GP twice now and neither time was a terrible journey).
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ISLAMATRON

Hamilton:"I will demolish the field and then do Donuts!"

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/21990.html

andrew

After watching the MotoGP race from Silverstone I fully expect the F1 "race" to be up to the usual standard with the changes not really adding anything, unless it rains. This is one of my least favorite circuits, in fact I think it the worst for me.

gridwalker

andrew wrote:After watching the MotoGP race from Silverstone I fully expect the F1 "race" to be up to the usual standard with the changes not really adding anything, unless it rains. This is one of my least favorite circuits, in fact I think it the worst for me.
I'm not massively fond of Silverstone either; I've never been there for a Grand Prix, but I've never been enthralled by any races that I've attended there for lower formulae.

The old layout always seemed to spread the pack out excessively, preventing wheel to wheel racing. The jury is still out on the new section, but I don't see anything in the new design that will prevent this from happening.

Still, if Valencia can give us an interesting race then anything can happen!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

forty-two

ISLAMATRON wrote:
forty-two wrote:I'm gonna have an enormous St. George's flag waving, in your honour Islamatron, just in case you catch a flight over for the race and happen to be sitting behind me! :lol: Only kidding!
Just wait till some rabid fans block the sun and your entire view with their HUGE flags/signs, it is infuriating.

I'm talking 20 feet by 15 feet at least(on 30 foot poles), hopefully the high winds Silverstone is known for will blow those idiots away.
forty-two wrote:How much does a kangaroo TV cost at silverstone, and can they be hired on the day?

Kangaroo is cool but you really want your eyes on the track... you can watch the replay at home for free... but that mobile app they have on the F1.com site is really helpful, and free... Roos were 90 for the weekend(no daily rate, weekend only) in canada, with a 250 deposit... or something like that, someone correct me if I misremembered.

I got to the track early in canada because I had a gen admin ticket and wanted a good view... but if you have a seat you can get there whenever you want, but for a real race fan the support races are great entertainment too.
Haha I was at least half kidding about the flag.

I'm in two minds about the Kangaroo thing, I don't want to spend the race watching a piddly little screen while it unfolds in front of me, but similarly I quite like the idea of being able to hear the team radio etc.

I have a covered seat, which is fortunate as the current forecast is for rain Saturday and Sunday, although to be fair only three days ago, the forecase for today was heavy rain and it's been glorious all day! Guess we'll have to wait and see!

forty-two

andrew wrote:After watching the MotoGP race from Silverstone I fully expect the F1 "race" to be up to the usual standard with the changes not really adding anything, unless it rains. This is one of my least favorite circuits, in fact I think it the worst for me.
You surprise me Andrew, I'd have thought a fellow Brit such as yourself would take a great pride in the British GP (tongue firmly in cheek!).

Seriously though, some of the races there in the past have indeed been processional, but this season seems to be able to make thrilling races out of genuinely nothing tracks, so we'll see what unfolds!

I like Silverstone for it's heritage, it's old-school circuit (apart of course from the new section!) and mostly for it's high speed sections. Recent history has shown the bulls to be dominant there, which is OK as I am a fan of Webber and the Redbull team in general, but with some significant updates due for McLaren, only a fool would discount them completely (IMO).

forty-two

Scotracer wrote:
forty-two wrote:I've never been to a GP before, but I have some questions for you seasoned pro's:

Cheers
For every GP I've been to we usually arrive at the circuit for 9am-10am. Silverstone has good access so it shouldn't be too much of an issue getting in there (I've been to the British GP twice now and neither time was a terrible journey).

Thanks Scotracer, I'm staying about 20 minutes from the circuit, so this info is very useful.