British GP 2010 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Richard

Re: British GP 2010 - Silverstone

Fantastic resource! Thanks

ISLAMATRON

richard_leeds wrote:
Fantastic resource! Thanks
I wish they would update quicker, but then again I'm not the one doing all the work.

Richard

I recall you posted that link before and it was a few races out of date. Nice to see they have Silverstone uploaded already.

I'd say 48 hours is reasonable - I aim to post the race archive on here on Mon or Tues.

Craigy

I've just caught up with this thread and am pretty amazed by many of the opinions. It's like I was watching a different race, or something.

Ferrari were told by Charlie Whiting to concede the place to Kubica, immediately as the move happened - he told them to move over 3 times! I'd like to know what the people complaining about the late penalty think of that. (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85258). It may be that the pit wall decided to ignore this friendly advice (Whiting isn't a steward, he's the race director). Given that Alonso gained a place by shortcutting the track, he had to be penalised somehow and it's Ferrari/Alonso's own fault that they mishandled it.

Given that Kubica's car failed anyway, Alonso would likely have had a far better afternoon had he just given the place back immediately after club corner. There's a straight there before the new Abbey corner, it would have been easy to do.

As for the Vettel/Sutil incident I'm rather surprised Vettel didn't get a penalty. You can't just bang people out of the way, it's dangerous. If you're not actually level, side by side - then you should be conceding the corner to the car ahead. It's not rocket science. If two cars bang into each other, it would have to be wheel to wheel in order for me to say it was a racing incident. That's not what happened here. Sutil was ahead - he doesn't have to modify his line to make space for someone else.

Finally, I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned that the new style Red Bull front wing was both aerodynamically marginally better, and mechanically lighter than the old one. If there was no advantage (as some have stated) then why bother to put it on the car at all? (logic fails at this point and people start talking with the wrong side of their brains!)
Taking a unique component from one car and putting it on the other car was an -er- equally unique decision from RB. I can understand the thing about Vettel being ahead in the Driver's Championship, but this is F1 - if that was the way they wanted to play, it should have been talked about before the season started so everyone knew where they stood. Horner isn't a fool. I just cannot believe that he made this decision and then didn't tell Webber about it before the race started. That's another story behind this one, I think.
My take is that I don't think this was his decision to make - I think RB (Matechitz, Marko et al) favour Vettel and made the call. Just speculation though.

Great GP though!

Craigy

strad

l4mbch0ps wrote:I don't know how anyone can admit that there was damage to Vettel's car and then turn around and - in the same sentence - claim that it would not make a difference. Have you even been paying attention to how much work is put into the aerodynamics of these cars? Teams will make modifications that equate to millimeters of change to some parts of the car seeking a performance gain. How can you claim that damage to these parts will not cause a reduction in performance?

I'm not saying that a cracked barge board will cause a reduction of 2 seconds/lap, but to say there's no difference is willful ignorance.
And how many times have we seen them lose a barge board or wing end or even have a wing dangling and still run quicker? MANY MANY times!!!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

True, and with Vettel putting in the third fastest lap of the race on lap 52, it's difficult to argue that his car was suffering. The truth is that until the safety car came out, Vettel was moping around the track unmotivated. A terse comment from the pits and the luck of a safety car brought him back to life, but it was too late. I wonder how well he might have done had he made some of those passes prior to the safety car?

Pedro

Pit-stop summary

Stints:

Source: F1news.cz
http://f1news.cz/novinky/35188-mercedes ... rychlejsi/
Last edited by Pedro on 14 Jul 2010, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.f1news.cz

Pedro

Team-mate battles:

Qualify

Race - Fastest laps

Race - Average laps
(First laps, in-laps, out-laps and laps behind safety car excluded)

http://f1news.cz/novinky/35193-jak-dopa ... lverstone/
http://www.f1news.cz

komninosm

zenithbeach wrote:im sorry if this has been posted before (i just couldnt be bothered to read through all the bickerin in this thread) but here's an article that could be of some interest to the ones involved in the alonso dispute
Ferrari have been highly critical of the fact that it took the stewards nine laps to hand out their punishment on Alonso for going off the track to pass Kubica.

[...]

Speaking after the race team principal Stefano Domenicali expressed his unhappiness at the steward's decision.

"You can have a situation where immediately there is a possibility to give position back to a driver if you feel there is really an advantage to be gained, but we felt that was not the case, otherwise we would have done it," Domenicali exlpained

"As soon as we received the information that in the opinion of the stewards Fernando should have given back position to Robert, he was already very far behind and was really slowing down because he had a problem.

"We feel [the penalty] is very harsh," he added.

But Whiting has now contradicted the Italian's claims, indicating that Ferrari were immediately informed to allow Kubica to pass and at that stage the Pole was still in a position to do so, although he later slowed as a result of mechanical troubles that caused him to retire.

"We told Ferrari three times that in my opinion they should give the position back to Kubica," Whiting told Autosprint magazine.

"And we told them that immediately, right after the overtaking manoeuvre. On the radio, I suggested to them that if they exchange position again, there would be no need for the stewards to intervene.

"But they didn't do that and on the third communication they said that Kubica was by then too far back to let him regain the position.

"It's not true at all that the stewards took too long to decide. For us the facts were clear immediately: Alonso had gained an advantage by cutting the track," he added.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/62587 ... bica-pass-
believe what you want, but in my opinion, if alonso and his team did not see any advantage gained by that maneuver, then im sorry to say that they didnt deserve it any other way.
HAHAHAHAHA!
Alonso [-X :^o
Ferrari [-X :^o

komninosm

l4mbch0ps wrote:I don't know how anyone can admit that there was damage to Vettel's car and then turn around and - in the same sentence - claim that it would not make a difference. Have you even been paying attention to how much work is put into the aerodynamics of these cars? Teams will make modifications that equate to millimeters of change to some parts of the car seeking a performance gain. How can you claim that damage to these parts will not cause a reduction in performance?

I'm not saying that a cracked barge board will cause a reduction of 2 seconds/lap, but to say there's no difference is willful ignorance.
There was damage to Hamilton's car too, his front wing that touched Vettel's tire. So your point is meaningless. What matters is the degree of damage, and Vettel showed his car was fine (he even did a very fast lap at the end). He was just unmotivated and gave up at the first 27 laps. Then he tried a bit harder.

WhiteBlue

komninosm wrote:Vettel showed his car was fine (he even did a very fast lap at the end). He was just unmotivated and gave up at the first 27 laps.
I think you are making that up all on your own. How do you know what went on in Vettel's head? Are you a mind reader?

The guy had to pace himself to run the whole race on one set of boots and had whatever damage was done by the flailing tyre on a complete lap of Silverstone with relatively high speed. Nobody has presented a picture of that damage so we cannot know what it was worth in terms of lap time.

These type of biased comments only contribute to controversy, they have no value to help us to understand the race better.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pup
Pup

Yes, please stick to well known facts, like 'flailing' tires and their undocumented damage.

mr moda

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mysticf1

WhiteBlue wrote: These type of biased comments only contribute to controversy,
:lol:

myurr

komninosm wrote:There was damage to Hamilton's car too, his front wing that touched Vettel's tire. So your point is meaningless. What matters is the degree of damage, and Vettel showed his car was fine (he even did a very fast lap at the end). He was just unmotivated and gave up at the first 27 laps. Then he tried a bit harder.
On the BBC feed Ted said that he got a good look at Vettel's car when it was in it's pit box and there was no damage beyond a few scratches and scuff marks. Nothing that would significantly affect the lap times.