Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

auto saibot wrote:fp2 is clearing the air. those who used to be at top are at top, in mid are at mid, but the lower order remains the same...............boring :|
Well williams can throw a spanner in the works for the top teams.

Redbull looks superior here as well. Either webber or Vettel can win this, but it's looking like Vettel's race to lose.
The redbul also seems to be softly sprung, funny that Mclaren still have a stiff car.
For Sure!!

Moanlower

What happened near the end ? Looks like some cars stopped on track.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

auto saibot

freedom_honda wrote:
Byronrhys wrote:Why would they have to do that, he signed as a reserve they knew this so this would most likely be a genuine sickness no mirrors behind it. Nick just seems to be getting familiar with the car and its characteristics right now.
I would not question the team if they put Chandhok back in the car. Chandhok has so much more experience with the car than Klien. If HRT wants good results, Chandhok would most likely be the person to deliver. The fact that they have been switching drivers all year seems like just a financial thing rather than performance issues.
beyond doubt it is financial, a --- play by them

marcush.

Kobayashi spent a lot of time off track ...but did not damage anything yet....the chap is stretching himself with good measure methinks.
Good move by Peter Sauber.

auto saibot

ringo wrote:
auto saibot wrote:fp2 is clearing the air. those who used to be at top are at top, in mid are at mid, but the lower order remains the same...............boring :|
Well williams can throw a spanner in the works for the top teams.

Redbull looks superior here as well. Either webber or Vettel can win this, but it's looking like Vettel's race to lose.
The redbul also seems to be softly sprung, funny that Mclaren still have a stiff car.
don't want williams doing that, but vettel is dominating

forty-two

Probably a question more for the "Flexible wings controversy" thread, but since it relates to this race I shall post here.

During the FP2 coverage, they showed a shot of a rear facing FOM camera on the nose of the RB6, showing clearly the splitter. I don't know if it was my eyes, but the thing did seem to be moving relative to the underside of the tub.

Does anyone have any footage or stills which could be looked at in more detail?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

marcush.

we are praying for WB ..... [-o<

forty-two

marcush. wrote:we are praying for WB ..... [-o<
Funny you should mention WB, I sent him a PM for that very reason!

Moanlower

forty-two wrote:Probably a question more for the "Flexible wings controversy" thread, but since it relates to this race I shall post here.

During the FP2 coverage, they showed a shot of a rear facing FOM camera on the nose of the RB6, showing clearly the splitter. I don't know if it was my eyes, but the thing did seem to be moving relative to the underside of the tub.

I think what you saw is the floor getting closer to the ground due to downforce when getting up to speed.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

ringo

marcush. wrote:Kobayashi spent a lot of time off track ...but did not damage anything yet....the chap is stretching himself with good measure methinks.
Good move by Peter Sauber.
I knew heidfeld was going to be quicker right away.
So much so Kobayashi was pushing feverishly and Heidfeld was still getting used to the car.
For Sure!!

forty-two

Moanlower wrote:
forty-two wrote:Probably a question more for the "Flexible wings controversy" thread, but since it relates to this race I shall post here.

I think what you saw is the floor getting closer to the ground due to downforce when getting up to speed.
No, that is not what I saw. At least it isn't what I think I saw. I'm not talking about movement relative to the ground, rather movement relative to the car.

vall

RBRs seem quite ahead, but if Alonso did not do a mistake, he would have beaten Vettel for P1. He set faster times in both controls.....

MikeFromCanada

vall wrote:RBRs seem quite ahead, but if Alonso did not do a mistake, he would have beaten Vettel for P1. He set faster times in both controls.....
It's worth noting that both Lewis and Jenson seemed very optimistic with their cars. Lewis went as far as saying they should be gith up there tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see what Alonso has to say. I'm really expecting this to be a lot closer than the practice times show...

ringo

I got a feeling overtaking will be neccessary. With the way things are looking so close.
I wonder where and who is going to try to?
All drivers want to be on the front row, but only 2 of them can be.
Then there is the race start, who messes up and gets caught in the pack.

The only way not to overtake on the track is in the pits, and you need a faster car to do that, or a really good pitstop..
This looks like a redbull 1 + 1. or a redbull 1 - 1 = 0 if Webber or Vettel get too greedy.
For Sure!!

Mr Alcatraz

MikeFromCanada wrote:
vall wrote:RBRs seem quite ahead, but if Alonso did not do a mistake, he would have beaten Vettel for P1. He set faster times in both controls.....
It's worth noting that both Lewis and Jenson seemed very optimistic with their cars. Lewis went as far as saying they should be gith up there tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see what Alonso has to say. I'm really expecting this to be a lot closer than the practice times show...
Here you go:
I think we are close to them. We were more or less close with the hard tyre and then I didn't complete the lap with the soft tyre, so I guess they are in front.
"They are still a little bit in front of us, a couple of tenths, but hopefully we can fight with them and are close enough tomorrow."

Alonso said his error late in second practice was simply the result of driver error.

"I braked late for Turn 18," he said. "Then I put reverse to get back on the track and, when I put first gear to rejoin the circuit, the engine stopped. So I finished the session there.

"Unfortunately we lost the last 20 minutes when we were ready to try something else – but no big problem."

Alonso experimented both with and without the F-duct during Friday's free practice session, and he said he expected the team to decide to stick with the blown wing from Saturday.

"We were trying some different parts of the car in the first session," he said. "But we were concentrating on the F-duct, trying to see what the best solution is.

"At the moment there isn't a clear picture. We need to analyse more data but I think first plan a) is to use it. It was okay, it was working fine, so normally we should use it tomorrow definitely."
Did the RB's even run the options on their quick laps?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand