Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MikeFromCanada

Re: Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

raymondu999 wrote:It will be flatout on the established teams, probably, but that wasn't quite my question :P

I asked if it could be (for the bulls, at least) to be flat out WITH THE FDUCT
Ahh my mistake raymond. Didn't quite understand you meant with the FDUCT actually engaged :P

I'll admit, that's a bit of a wild thought, and would be very interesting if they could in fact do so.

Actually, looking again and knowing that the turn isn't as severe as it once was, I'm thinking it may be doable to go through it with the FDUCT engaged.

raymondu999

I think the main problem with the 130R and fduct is the aggressiveness of your turn in. If you turn in too aggressively you go bye bye. If not you're a genius. But they could manage one handed through Eau Rouge. So hey? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

forty-two

raymondu999 wrote:We have to remember the Ferrari was very good in Silverstone though. Second only to Red Bull. Just the safety car fiasco that cost them points. I'm not too sure about Mark. He crashed out last year in FP2/3 I believe? And started in the pitlane?

Giblet, when did Vettel said Mark is good at high speed corners?

And zeph, Monza is high speed but that's because of it's low drag high topspeed configuration. Suzuka is fast like Silverstone, due to fast corners.
Sorry, I know I'm late on this one, but the race I saw had
P1 Webber Red Bull
P2 Hamilton McLaren
P3 Rosberg Mercedes
P4 Button McLaren

So how you conclude that Ferrari were second only to Red Bull is beyond me.

Agreed, in Qualifying Alonso was quicker than either McLaren, by 13 hundredths of a second.

Sorry to be pedantic.

EDIT: When being pedantic, try to make sure you don't make a stupid mistake!
Last edited by forty-two on 27 Sep 2010, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

raymondu999

I believe he caught traffic though, And even with traffic still outqualified the Maccas
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium

forty-two wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:We have to remember the Ferrari was very good in Silverstone though. Second only to Red Bull. Just the safety car fiasco that cost them points. I'm not too sure about Mark. He crashed out last year in FP2/3 I believe? And started in the pitlane?

And zeph, Monza is high speed but that's because of it's low drag high topspeed configuration. Suzuka is fast like Silverstone, due to fast corners.
P1 Webber Red Bull
P2 Hamilton McLaren
P3 Rosberg Red Bull
P4 Button McLaren

Agreed, in Qualifying Alonso was quicker than either McLaren, by 13 hundredths of a second.

Sorry to be pedantic.
Rosberg in a Red Bull??? Where did that deal come from???

forty-two

ESPImperium wrote: Rosberg in a Red Bull??? Where did that deal come from???
Haha, that'll teach me to be pedantic!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

vall

forty-two wrote:

P1 Webber Red Bull
P2 Hamilton McLaren
P3 Rosberg Mercedes
P4 Button McLaren

Sorry to be pedantic.

EDIT: When being pedantic, try to make sure you don't make a stupid mistake!
well LH overtook the SC, while Alonso stayed behind it and lost many positions. In the same time the stewards were extremely slow to hand LH a penalty. By the time it arrived, he served the penalty and emerged 2nd. So, LH did not loose a position while Alonso finished 9th.

horse

raymondu999 wrote:Errm.. we didn't have a 1-2 finish at singapore
Talking of being pedantic, I was talking about 1st and 2nd place, not a 1-2 finish.
raymondu999 wrote:I think the main problem with the 130R and fduct is the aggressiveness of your turn in. If you turn in too aggressively you go bye bye. If not you're a genius. But they could manage one handed through Eau Rouge. So hey? :P
I can't see them turning into 130R with the f-duct engaged. There might be some differential on how quickly they can come off it, but I agree that the turn in is too severe and the speeds to high to make it round the corner without the rear wing operating.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

raymondu999

They did get through Eau Rouge though. And Eau Rouge is much less wing, making their f-ducted setup that much less downforce-y.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FW17

2 issues with using the f-duct throught 130R

1) I dont think is physically possible for the driver to sit in the cockpit with one hand on the steering the other loose on the F-duct when his body is experincing 4.5G to 5G. The body generally tries to flinch when experiencing high GForces and driver will always try to grab on something.

2) The F1 steering will also be quiet heavy, even with the power assist, at max downforce that trying to turn in precise with one hand will be quiet risky of not difficult.

astracrazy

do the teams have a button on the simulators to simulate the f-duct?

else how do they know if its possible or not? try it? look at the numbers?

MikeFromCanada

vall wrote: well LH overtook the SC, while Alonso stayed behind it and lost many positions. In the same time the stewards were extremely slow to hand LH a penalty. By the time it arrived, he served the penalty and emerged 2nd. So, LH did not loose a position while Alonso finished 9th.
Wasn't this at Valencia? From the Silverstone I remember, Alonso got a drive through for illegally passing Kubica? He did not serve it prior to the safety car coming out, so as a result when down the order after he served it after the safety car.

ecapox

Not every team engages the F-Duct with their left hand. Some do it with their knee.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

WilliamsF1 wrote:2 issues with using the f-duct throught 130R

1) I dont think is physically possible for the driver to sit in the cockpit with one hand on the steering the other loose on the F-duct when his body is experincing 4.5G to 5G. The body generally tries to flinch when experiencing high GForces and driver will always try to grab on something.

2) The F1 steering will also be quiet heavy, even with the power assist, at max downforce that trying to turn in precise with one hand will be quiet risky of not difficult.
Another factor against the f-duct through 130R is that the cars go as fast as they can as it is through this corner. Any less downforce would probably send the car pretty wide at the very least. It'll be interestng to see if anyone uses it but I can't see this happening.

alelanza

MikeFromCanada wrote: They will be bringing the Singapore update that they could not put on the car,
I wonder what that upgrade is, i recall Jenson's V8 during friday's FPs making a very particular sound, sort of a very aggressive exhaust blowing the diffuser.
Alejandro L.