Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
tommylommykins

Re: Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

Getting a jumpstart by time is much worse than getting a jumpstart by distance.

Vettel had stopped, and restarted at the same time as all the other cars started, so he did not get a jumpstart by time

Maybe he gained some distance, but it will be small.

djos

imightbewrong wrote:Made a gif showing two frames, before and after the move. Note that the lights are still red.

From this video:
http://www.twitvid.com/EVKTK
That's definitely a twitch but if he didnt cross the starting box line then it's not a jump start imo (as much as I'd luv Webber to have been gifted the win!).
"In downforce we trust"

ESPImperium

I think we are gonna see the FIA clamp down on false starts more now.

Alonso got away with it in Bahrain but lost out in China, Massa being 2M over his line in Spa, now Vettel and Hulkenberg in one race prove the sensors are getting it totaly wrong.

Alonso i think was the last one to get a penalty for a jump start, but i cannot remember the last one, was probably 2008 or 2007.

Dragonfly

I don't think this is a jump start at all but rather a twitch as the clutch probably bites a bit more when engines are revved up and the car is held with the help of the brakes. When the actual moment of the start came - all lights off - Vettel was stationary and within the grid box boundaries.
I also don't buy arguments that such twitches might cause false start by the others. Everyone is responsible for himself and must react to the lights. That's part of the game of nerves, part of the race as AFAIK the time interval from the last light on to all light off is not constant, but a random number of seconds within a given interval. To prevent anticipated starts and make them rely only on drivers' reactions.

BTW, is it me or there were two red lights (the first two) coming on simultaneously at the start?
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

yellowflag

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

strad wrote:does roll a touch doesn't he?
Yes and I was expecting the F1Tech people to be keen on explaining one of the latest YouTube exclusives: why it happened and what the rulebook says on the matter.
Thx.

raymondu999

I think maybe the rules are more geared towards people jumping ahead of their grid slots before the lights turn out, but maybe Vettel was just overcautious and behind the yellow line, and he was just going over to correct it, then race control deemed it was ok? I doubt they'd let movement of cars go unnoticed. (Note: not talking about misplaced cars ahead of grid slots etc here, like Webber in Bahrain and Massa in Spa, but movement and edging forward)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

chrys

ESPImperium wrote:
Alonso i think was the last one to get a penalty for a jump start, but i cannot remember the last one, was probably 2008 or 2007.
V.Petrov - Montreal 2010.

raymondu999

I don't think anyone jumped in 2009... in fact I think more people stalled on the grid... lol
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

imightbewrong

ESPImperium wrote:I think we are gonna see the FIA clamp down on false starts more now.

Alonso got away with it in Bahrain but lost out in China, Massa being 2M over his line in Spa, now Vettel and Hulkenberg in one race prove the sensors are getting it totaly wrong.

What do you mean about bahrain? Can't see anything wrong here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwwy6qVDl2A

raymondu999

errm... Webber started behind Hamilton in Bahrain... He was 6th on the grid. You wouldn't be able to see it from a Hamilton onboard.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

imightbewrong

raymondu999 wrote:errm... Webber started behind Hamilton in Bahrain... He was 6th on the grid. You wouldn't be able to see it from a Hamilton onboard.
Okay, so he meant Webber not Alonso? Seems to be some confusion here. At least I'm lost :)

raymondu999

Ok I don't know what ESP means with Alonso, but Webber was ahead of his grid box (kind of like Massa was in Spa) in Bahrain
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

univex

imightbewrong wrote:Made a gif showing two frames, before and after the move. Note that the lights are still red.
http://www.twitvid.com/EVKTK
Granted it is a false start and would be called in Athletics, however, What the hell was Button doing, he was well clear of Alonso and left a gaping hole for him to sweep past.
See Alonso onboard of start in above link.

freedom_honda

Button said at a post race interview he got blocked by Webber. I guess he didn't expect Webber to go as slow as he did. and because he didn't expect Webber to go so slow, he didnt go the inside to try to overtake Webber.

WhiteBlue

Chaparral wrote:
Mysticf1 wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:FACT: Vettel is faster than Webber in a 2010 Red Bull.
FACT: Webber is still leading the championship by 14 points, and has more wins than Vettel.
Webber picked up fastest lap of the race
Sebastian Vettel wrote:Without sounding arrogant, I would say I always had Mark under control [at Suzuka]. I could see him all the time – he was one, two or three seconds behind. Every time he came a bit closer, I went on the gas a bit more. It's looking okay. If I win the next three races, everything will be fine, so that must be my goal.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)