Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Donuts

Re: Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

raymondu999 wrote:In a sense it is actually. The F10 is a good allrounder. Its main strengths are seemingly traction out of hairpins/slow fiddly corners, as well as great braking stability. The Renault is a good allrounder, with strengths mainly in mechanical.
Yes, and thru the season they've added quite a lot of downforce. Sector one was not bad at all, in fact better than Scuderia Ferrari.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

sknguy

timd wrote:I watched the BBC F1 forum tonight as forgot to on sunday and replayed that one.

In my view Massa was set into a strange path of disaster when he jinked right to avoid petrov's erratic movment. He then didn't back out of the half commitment on the inside. Instead of clipping the car in front ala webber / hamilton last races he took to the grass and then in turn speared someone. Silly mistake. Bit of a thoughtless and desperate act of the moment. Not petrov's fault but a chain of abnormal events.

Thats my view anyway :)
From what I recall Massa's incident was a pretty complicate turn of events. He had one opportunity to allow Rosberg to take the line, but there was also another opportunity to brake into a position along side him and take the inside. His third choice was to take to the grass. But, prior to this, the setup was that Rosberg was positioning himself to take the turn. However, Rosberg found himself being squeezed to the inside by someone from the outside. So he started to drift to the inside. Then he noticed Massa coming up from the inside and jerked left again. Massa's opportunity to brake-in behind Rosberg was just a fraction of a second before this.

It's so important to be aware of your situation and judging the speeds and distances to cars in behind. From what I recall there had been room behind Massa to brake and slot in behind Rosberg. But, was there time for Massa to double check his mirror's to make sure? I don't know, but that move means taking your eyes off what's developing in front, so I think that's why Massa chose the grass instead of braking. Rosberg, seeing Massa's decision to take to the grass, recovered from his left twitch reaction to Massa and continued back into the turn.

I may be corrected, but I think that's how it played out. I only recall it being a race incident. I wish FOM would stop taking down clips from YouTube.

chrys

RACE EDITS
Onboard Vettel start (0:26)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhD3WnOahA[/youtube]

djos

clearly Sebs twitch never caused the front wheels to cross the white line so I dont see a problem with it.
"In downforce we trust"

Chaparral

WhiteBlue wrote -
I don't think this was the issue here. N smikle thinks that Webber is as fast as Vettel lately. Frankly put, that is a ridiculous proposition that bears no resemblance with the facts. Look up the session times and and you will see the error in that thinking. Webber is so bloody slow that on even points no one would give him a decent chance for WDC now.

Fastest Lap. M.Webber, 1:33.474 ... ... 8)
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 15 Oct 2010, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed offensive comments
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

lebesset

webber played it cute at suzuka, and will continue to do so

he only needed to finish in front of vettel once in the last four races and then following him home will be enough wherever vettel finishes ...his current performance is nothing to do with being slower than vettel

all this ..I have to win a race ...is just smoke and mirrors
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Chaparral

Hello all Im not supposed to post private dialogue between myself and this American mod but bugger it this isnt supposed to be a closed forum and Ive just received this warning for doing so - but hey are we not allowed to express an opinion or do we all prescribe to Gugs (WBs) opinion - I think not and I'm sure the other mods dont believe so - I am sick and tired of seeing the diatribe that comes with the cut and paste mentality that dominates every post from this jerk - he's no smarter than you or I he just has too much time on his hands and he as no inside info crikeys I speak with 5 motor sport journo mates each week and Gugs info is just crap - he's an antagonist thats all. I'm probably going to be banned from this forum for this stance which is a bit of a shame as there are some very good people here - I dont post a lot primarily because Gugs is feeding threads with rubbish. Ciao
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

djos

Chaparral, I agree with your sentiment, just not your methods. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Chaparral wrote:Hello ... Ciao
I see what you're saying but to be fair, we all like to think that our own opinion is the correct one and no one likes being corrected or admitting when we are wrong. I guess some folk are more willing than others to admit error.

What I try to do (and fail miserably on numerous occasions) is when I see a post I think is a load I think "is it worth it?" Sometimes it is just better to ignore and let someone else get bogged down in a pointless argument.

And where does "Gugs" come from?

djos

andrew wrote:
Chaparral wrote:Hello ... Ciao
And where does "Gugs" come from?
it's WB's name (short version apparently) - Apparently WB was infamous on GP.Com and his one-eyed german fanboi'ism got him banned over there as ppl just got fed up with it.
"In downforce we trust"

univex

Chaparral wrote:I dont post a lot primarily because Gugs is feeding threads with rubbish. Ciao
+1

lebesset

personally if I see a WB post I don't read it
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

What goes on on other sites should stay on other sites. Personnal vandettas or grievances should be left in the relevant place.

Seeing as we are wildly off topic there is no harm in posting this. Listen to Jack Nicholson's words, especially at 1.40ish (ignore his demise as that kind of ruins the intention of the clip).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0[/youtube]

It's been said before that posting is a privlidge so we should all just try to co-exist.

:mrgreen:

marcush.

ohoh..my feeling is we all should calm down and reread our posts before hitting the submit button.
I feel everyone has the right to have his opinion ,but I don´t think we are allowed to call others jerks or whatever not even in the heat of the moment.I´m well aware that we are covering a lot of different continents with different values to the spoken writtern word and a lot of us do not speak or write english or american english as well as it would be necessary to be sure not to offend other people.
so my stance is : if I´m wrong I´m wrong and can live with being criticised and put straight and if I´m offending someone with my views I´m ready and willing to apologise in public .This here is nothing else but a nice pasttime and a very good source of exchange be it technically or just on a personal friendship level imho...
Last edited by marcush. on 16 Oct 2010, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

Back to the Suzuka GP and why Chaparral's remark is not relevant. You get no points for setting fastest lap but you get WDC points for crossing the line first and you get initial track position for qualifying faster. So qualifying times and finishing positions matter. Fastest race laps are simply an issue of who is prepared to run his equipment a bit harder for a statistic figure that interest very few people.

Webber simply qualifies worse than Vettel does. It is reason enough to call him the slower Red Bull driver. Why do bookies give you 3.1 for Vettel and 4.5 for Webber to win the next race? Because they think that Vettel will qualify better and win the race. In a nutshell because they think he will be faster than Webber.

I see no point in getting personal and calling someone a jerk who simply has a different opinion. I trust Steven and his moderators to follow a good policy on that.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)