Brazilian GP 2010 - Interlagos

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ell66
ell66

Re: Button signs for Mclaren

Diesel wrote:This thread needs closing, it's reduced to people just quoting things like 'luck'.

If you were paying attention to the race the swap to the prime tyre was an obvious thing to do and the best time to do it was while Hulkenberg held everybody up, Jenson capitalised on this. Jenson has shown his experience wins when it comes to strategy and a feel for what the track is doing.

Jenson struggles in qualifying and that appears to be mostly down to being able to make use tyres effecitvely, he seems to struggle to feel the limit quickly enough. The general observation in the paddock is that Jenson used to qualify very well on Michelin rubber which was described as a stickier type of rubber which was easier to get working. Bridgestones appear to be harder to get working and are alot more durable, take a look at McLaren today, 20 lap old tyres on the Ferrari & Red Bulls doing the same lap times as fresh tyres on the McLarens. This makes it hard for Jenson as his driving style tends to be a bit kindier to tyres. I am convinced that the Bridgestone compound that was used at Brazil could have easily done the entire race and still delivered comparable lap times throughout.

Next year should be interesting, the Pirelli tyre is an unkown which could play towards Jenson's strengths, or equally might not.

I also feel Jenson was faster than Lewis in the race, and could have overtaken him and finished ahead either in the pit stops or on track. He didn't ofcourse because from a championship point of view Jenson was out either way so it was a no-brainer to have Lewis finish ahead.
in what way shape or form was jenson faster in the race? i had the live timing up and at no stage was he faster. lewis came out just ahead of him after the pit stop and proceded to open up a 10 second gap, yeah jenson was onl slightly older tyres, but that much so, and like you said above...the hards were very durable.

so stop talking rubbish.

SiLo

Re: Brazilian GP 2010 - Interlagos

I want Alonso to win the champhionship by 7 or less points, and then see the media kick up a storm.....
Felipe Baby!

vall
vall

Sean H wrote:I think Nico did pretty well. Remember, he wasn't being lapped. He was racing for position as well. Anything could happen and it was his job to stay up front as long as possible. It took longer for Alonso to pass Nico than he needed to dispatch Lewis, who would of thought that?
Of course he had to fight for the position. I just wanted him to either stay in front of everyone for 10-15 laps or to be passed fast by the Bulls, Alonso and Hamilton, so we see showdown between all 4 WDC contenders. I felt Alonso at least had the pace to challenge the Bulls. I hope we will see this fight next Sunday, and of course Fred to win it....

lebesset
lebesset

with an overheating engine AND overheating front brakes until the safety car webber did well to finish at all ...judging by the message he could drive normally the last 5 or so laps he must have been marginal on fuel as well ...or was that just the team slowing him down to avoid him going for the win!
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

ell66 wrote:
Diesel wrote:This thread needs closing, it's reduced to people just quoting things like 'luck'.

If you were paying attention to the race the swap to the prime tyre was an obvious thing to do and the best time to do it was while Hulkenberg held everybody up, Jenson capitalised on this. Jenson has shown his experience wins when it comes to strategy and a feel for what the track is doing.

Jenson struggles in qualifying and that appears to be mostly down to being able to make use tyres effecitvely, he seems to struggle to feel the limit quickly enough. The general observation in the paddock is that Jenson used to qualify very well on Michelin rubber which was described as a stickier type of rubber which was easier to get working. Bridgestones appear to be harder to get working and are alot more durable, take a look at McLaren today, 20 lap old tyres on the Ferrari & Red Bulls doing the same lap times as fresh tyres on the McLarens. This makes it hard for Jenson as his driving style tends to be a bit kindier to tyres. I am convinced that the Bridgestone compound that was used at Brazil could have easily done the entire race and still delivered comparable lap times throughout.

Next year should be interesting, the Pirelli tyre is an unkown which could play towards Jenson's strengths, or equally might not.

I also feel Jenson was faster than Lewis in the race, and could have overtaken him and finished ahead either in the pit stops or on track. He didn't ofcourse because from a championship point of view Jenson was out either way so it was a no-brainer to have Lewis finish ahead.
in what way shape or form was jenson faster in the race? i had the live timing up and at no stage was he faster. lewis came out just ahead of him after the pit stop and proceded to open up a 10 second gap, yeah jenson was onl slightly older tyres, but that much so, and like you said above...the hards were very durable.

so stop talking rubbish.
They had to pit Lewis otherwise Jenson was about to jump him in the pit stops, one more lap and he would have done so. From then on Jenson was cruising as there was no point in chasing Lewis and there was a healthy gap behind him. After the SC he stayed within 4 seconds as they both tried to hunt down Alonso and he was faster at times. Jenson's pace was controlled after the pit stops as he wasn't going to pass Lewis. Jenson had the pace to finish infront of Lewis, McLaren pitted Lewis early to make sure he came out infront and then the race was controlled from that point.

ringo

All Hamilton had to do was come in before, he was asking to come in, It was the team that kept him out.

Jenson never had the pace. Hamilton put 10 seconds in him in no time. Putting Jenson in front of Hamilton would be a waste of time. He'll just be overtaken.
For Sure!!

zeph
zeph

To me it looked as if Button had the pace today, but knowing he was out of the WDC fight it would not make sense to one-up Hamilton and rob him off his chances as well (small though they may be). No big deal.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Carnage of Liuzzi's off roading adventure...

Sidepods ripped straight off!

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Ray

Said it before, I'll say it again. Formula 1 has no frakking clue how to run a SC period. NONE. Whiting should be fired and so should anyone that is involved/been involved in writing SC regs. NO lapped car should be anywhere near the leader. SC should come out and pick up the leader, after everyone is behind the SC lead lap cars pit, then the lapped cars. They both (lead lap cars and lapped cars) get to have their own pit stop duels and there won't be any lapped cars ruining a 5 way fight for the WDC and won't ruin the WCC. Such. A. Shame. We had a fantastic race brewing when the SC came out, and the rules ruined it.

EDIT: Maybe not fire Charlie. He's a damn good race director 99% of the time.

Belatti
Belatti

zeph wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Hulkenberg gave Vettel a good hand?

edit:

Just realized that sounds like they conspired. Not my meaning. I mean, Vettel passed him right away but he held up Webber and Alonso for a considerable time.

1 lap is not a considerable time
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

toshinden
toshinden

nice race =D> the fight will go on till the last race

btw, wheres WB?
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

Shrieker

Why do most of the people think that RBR have handed Alonso the WCC ?

Surely, if they repeat their 1-2 again and if Vettel is ahead they can ask him to let Webber past and that's it. If Alonso fails to finish and Vettel wins, he takes the title.

The only way things can go against RBR is either Hamilton or Alonso beating one of the Bulls. Although stranger things have happened this season, it doesn't seem likely.

As for Lewis. The car was not enough. He needed the points lost in Monza and Singapore, and also the ones he lost when mech. issues prevented him from scoring in Catalunya and Hungaroring. The only way he was going to win the title was by leading the standings going into the final three races and try defend from there. He's not %100 out, but I have to admit chances of all the other 3 guys hitting troubles in one single race is not even %1.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

djos

Goran2812 wrote:"Sebastian, Mark Is Faster Than You! Did You Understand The Message?" Will they play it this way? :D
nah, they only have to say "Nando is 3rd, do you understand?" :lol:
vall wrote:The Hulk spoiled the race!!! He let the Bulls easy and held Alonso and later Hamilton. Alonso definitely had the pace to put pressure on the Bulls, possibly with Hamilton not far behind. It would have been interesting race...
You're dreaming, Nando was advised pover the radio by his engineer that "we cant touch them" as the 2 RedBull's where 1/2 a second per lap faster!
Terrible3 wrote: I for one would have loved for another ten laps today to see if Mark would have been able to make an impression or passing attempt at Vettel.
That was never going to happen, Webber had an engine Temp problem in the 2nd half of the race and had to turn his engine down.
"In downforce we trust"

nipo
nipo

I wonder why Red Bull has chosen to put themselves in such a tricky position. What's the point to let Vettel win today? To give him a better shot at the title? Let them fight it out? Even now, Seb needs to win the next race and Alonso needs to be out of the top 4 for him to clinch the title, i.e. not straightforward. If they had given Webber the win today it would have been a much simpler task next race - just get Mark another race win at Abu Dhabi and forget about Seb.

Now because they didn't do that they end up in a situation where Seb will be fighting with Mark. Suppose in the middle of the next race, that...
1. Seb leads, Mark 2nd and Alonso 3rd/4th. They don't need to fight, it seems, cos Seb can let Mark pass at the very last moment after seeing Alonso is surely coming home 3rd.
2. Seb leads, Mark 2nd and Alonso is out of 4th. Mark needs to fight and overtake Seb on merit for the title.
3. Mark leads, Seb 2nd. Seb would be fighting regardless where Alonso is, because things could still go wrong for Alonso.

And looking at these 3 scenarios you'll realize that #1 is actually not as simple, because Mark would be anticipating that "hmm... something could go wrong for Alonso, and if that happens Seb is not going to give way. So I'd better start fighting to win this on merit". Hence, you get a fight between the Red Bulls in any case, that is, assuming they are leading the race 1-2, which is more likely to be the case than not.

Combine this observation with the poor manner in which Reb Bull management (and the drivers) has dealt with this type of stuff over the season, catastrophe can strike. It is doubly frustrating that the beneficiary would be Alonso if it happens.

If it were up to me I would have given Webber the win today - makes so much more sense. Of course the concept of a "fair fight" seems to be more publicly accepted nowadays, but we've learnt lessons from McLaren's 2007 season, haven't we?

zeph
zeph

Alonso said in an interview earlier this year "F1 is not a sport, it's entertainment."

I am sure he knows what he is talking about...