Brazilian GP 2010 - Interlagos

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Re: Brazilian GP 2010 - Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paul

So this race is at altitude, is this harder or easier on the engines?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Less oxygen means less combustible fuel, therefore from my amateurish deduction I would say ever so slightly easier.
More could have been done.
David Purley

MikeFromCanada

Based on my understandings (albeit could be wrong), at higher altitudes, power will be reduced as the amount of apparent oxygen is reduced the higher you go. Less oxygen to feed the enginer for combustion will produce less power. The air is of course less dense.

However, less dense air should help reduce drag as well (maybe slight drop in downforce levels as well?). I'm guessing despite the loss of power, top speed/acceleration is probably not decreased substantially because of this.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Thanks for the replies guys. My thinking was similar (that it would be easier on the engines), but was reading James Allen's blog and he said that altitude makes Interlagos harder on engines.

freedom_honda

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Less oxygen means less combustible fuel, therefore from my amateurish deduction I would say ever so slightly easier.
I think it is the opposite. Because less oxygen is available, hence reduced power, the teams might choose to increase RPM to compensate for the slight drop in power. Therefore working the engine harder.

Plus I remember Martin (not sure) mentioned during the commentary that Brazil is "quite hard on engines".

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

djos wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:
djos wrote:Ferrari broke them openly, RB would hopefully learn from Ferrari's mistake and tell the drivers before the Race what do do in what situations and prolly use more subtle codes to remind them during the race.

Btw, Nando will be on the podium but a 1-2 seems unlikely unless it's a Red Bull 1-2!
So, to summarize: You think it is OK to "cheat" as long as you don't get caught.
Correct?
F1 has always had team orders, most of the time they are more subtly implemented and we dont know about them - it's all part of the sport.
I agree.

forty-two

freedom_honda wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Less oxygen means less combustible fuel, therefore from my amateurish deduction I would say ever so slightly easier.
I think it is the opposite. Because less oxygen is available, hence reduced power, the teams might choose to increase RPM to compensate for the slight drop in power. Therefore working the engine harder.

Plus I remember Martin (not sure) mentioned during the commentary that Brazil is "quite hard on engines".
Add to that that less dense air is less able to convect heat away, so cooling could also be an issue, although recent races at interlagos tend not to have too high an ambient temperature, and often feature rain, so that could very well negate my comment!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

ringo

It's harder on the engines becuase the engine has to deal with the same load with less power.
Imagine going up a hill with less power. That's more strain for the engine, since the throttle has to opened up more to get the same result as if the altitude was lower.
For Sure!!

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Gerhard Berger wrote:So this race is at altitude, is this harder or easier on the engines?
I think the way it works is that there is less/thinner air at altitude so engine performance is reduced.

I don't think the track is quite that high for this to have any real effect is it?

Sean H
Sean H

800 meters above sea level. Williams estimates it could be as much as 7-8% reduction in power.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I stand corrected on the altitude of the track.

forty-two

Sean H wrote:800 meters above sea level. Williams estimates it could be as much as 7-8% reduction in power.
I wonder if all engines will suffer the same reduction ratio?

For example, what if the Cosworth guys lose only 1% while the Renault guys suffer 9%? That could be interesting!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

GTO

forty-two wrote:
Sean H wrote:800 meters above sea level. Williams estimates it could be as much as 7-8% reduction in power.

For example, what if the Cosworth guys lose only 1% while the Renault guys suffer 9%? That could be interesting!
The reduction in power would be the same for all engines. Why would it be different?

Neno
Neno

forty-two wrote:

i think renault motor is one of the best in F1. maybe dosnt have strong power, but his efficiency and lower fuel consumption this compensated.

sory for my bad english

MikeFromCanada

GTO wrote:The reduction in power would be the same for all engines. Why would it be different?
It could be possible one engine may be more susceptible to less apparent oxygen than another? I'm not an engine guy, so it may be a negligible difference, or make no difference at all.