Spanish GP 2011 - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Spanish GP 2011 - Barcelona

Don't let Spa hear you say that!

HampusA

Spa is a wonderful track aswell but not as satisfying from a driving point of view to me.
Still an awsome track but i wish we would see the green hell back in F1 ;)
Always wanted to know how fast an F1 car would go round at full speed with some tuning by the the team in a modern F1 car.
The truth will come out...

beelsebob
beelsebob

HampusA wrote:Spa is a wonderful track aswell but not as satisfying from a driving point of view to me.
On the contrary – eau rouge/radillion and Pouhon/les fanges are pretty much always quoted as drivers favourite corners to get dead right.

HampusA

I´m sure they are. Eau Rouge is nothing special anymore or require any particular skill in the dry. No doubt the experience is nice though.

Pouhon is definitely a favorite for sure. But what i like with Suzuka is T1-T2, the esses that come after wards, the super quick right hander after that together with the slightly slower right hander again after that.

Then you have the long high speed right which turns into a super quick left hander with the extremely hard left hander before the back straight.

Tamburello
Tamburello

raymondu999 wrote:Ok; so driver enjoyable tracks. Sepang/Turkey/Suzuka/Spa and the like.
Hungaroring? It's a like an upscaled karting track: cars look great on it but produces boring races.

PlatinumZealot

Some driver enjoyable tracks produce boring races.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

HampusA

The classic quote from last year with Alonso,

"Ok, half a second faster with a broken front wing" :)

Maggot

HampusA wrote:The classic quote from last year with Alonso,

"Ok, half a second faster with a broken front wing" :)
If I'm not mistaken.. Rob Smedley came over the radio round about turn 12 to tell Massa his wing was damaged ? :?:

alelanza
alelanza

Yeah it was Massa after he clumsily ran into a backmarker (karun? can't recall) going into 13. Then he cheekily said something like 'so that was the solution' lol
Alejandro L.

raymondu999

Massa locked the rears braking into 13. he slid into the back of Karun, touching him ever so slightly; which broke his left front cascade. And the radio was, "half a second faster with a broken front wing - I think we've found the solution"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

Sorry guys, Massa it is.
Now that i think about it i should have reacted on Rob, He doesn´t exactly sound like Stella or what his name is ;)

alelanza
alelanza

Cool, thanks for the precision Ray. SInce you're at it, can you remember in that same part of the track who was the one cutting in front of another backmarker and hitting it, my brain says Alguersuarri on a Virgin, Di Grassi i would guess...
Alejandro L.

MikeFromCanada

I wonder if we'll see another McLaren rim failure at the turn 3 high speed right hander? It's happened twice in the recent past to my memory. Hamilton last year and Kovalainen a couple years back.

raymondu999

Thanks for the compliment. I have a knack of remembering the unimportant facts in life... That was Alguersuari on Chandhok.

About Campsa - indeed; it seems that there's something in the structural rigidity of their rims which doesn't like Campsa. This year they have some of the diffuser vanes in the rim too; meaning they would have spindlier spokes, I guess... but at the end of the day; we'll have to wait and see.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

alelanza
alelanza

Anytime.

BTW, Heikki went off in #9, Lewis in #3, but yeah the circuit as a whole places a lot of stress on that left front. Now, as i remember it Heikki's deflated, they had said something about the wheel moving on top of the rim i think? and LH's seemed more like the rim broke apart, i think they said debris may have gone into it? Of course i don't place too much credibility in those team answers, sometimes they seem more like a polite way of saying 'we have no clue how it happened or how to prevent it'
Wish i had youtube during lunch :)
Alejandro L.