[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
JJR
JJR

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Hi roon! Yes all cooling air is coming from front diffuser. It is good only for low downforce tracks because it block air comming out of front diffuser and degrade performance of it.

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 10:03
The JJR car gets all it's cooling air from under the car?

Hi roon! Yes all cooling air is coming from front diffuser. It is good only for low downforce tracks because it block air comming out of front diffuser and degrade performance of front diffuser.
Despite my car has a high nose layout, most of the air that reaches the heat exchangers, comes from the front diffuser too. I am working on a different "source" of fresh air (inspired by Ferrari F1) but it doesn't give enough advantages at the present level of evolution. The target would be (as JJR already wrote) to make the cooling less influenced by the front wing setup.

By the way: during the pre season test, I designed a car with completely different cooling ducts, based on a "arrow" placement of the heat exchangers but I had to abandon it, because the rules still not allow this layout (my fault... I tried to gain some time in development, but my guess was wrong).

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 15:10
2 - fossilizing on the same car is boring
Ahah, I missed that point.

Just to spice up the competition: I decided to evolve the same car since 2015 because losing is even more boring :D

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 17:34
Hi Ric, I am very sorry. Are you sure to have checked to STEP version? It is fully divided into components:

I see what Ric means: if you remove the front wing for example (to draw your own), you lose the lower part of the wheel fairings....

I think it would be good if the intro car was complete except for front wing, rear wing and diffuser, and these parts should be easily made using 3 straight extrusions (1 extrusion each). To make life really easy there could be flat surfaces to extrude off, for example if you provided conventional rear wing end plates all the participant needs to do is draw an aerofoil shpe on one end plate and then extrude it up the other end plate.... That's what I did when I made the "CCE Bodykit" for the 2016 intro-class car:-

The white parts in the upper left image are used to extrude off from... the yellow parts are used to fill the "holes" in the parts supplied by the championship (dark grey parts, top right)... ideally the yellow and dark grey parts would all be part of the same model; not separate.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

On a different note: due to some unforeseen circumstances I am helping out with the compliance checks (for this round at least), and I must say, I'm really impressed with the cars I'm looking at; the quality is really good. 8) =D>

etsmc

CAEdevice wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 10:12
Despite my car has a high nose layout, most of the air that reaches the heat exchangers, comes from the front diffuser too. I am working on a different "source" of fresh air (inspired by Ferrari F1) but it doesn't give enough advantages at the present level of evolution. The target would be (as JJR already wrote) to make the cooling less influenced by the front wing setup.
The Ferrari F1 style cooling is something i have been trying on my car since i first started developing it for this season. I also thought this would be a great way to get some better cooling flow without the front diffuser affecting/dictating the flow so much.
What i have found so far is that the upwash off of the front suspension cover is still too aggressive and i have my suspension as low as possible.

I do have a couple of changes in mind but it involves moving the suspension up and a new front wing design, not sure if it will be ready for the next race though..

I still struggle to produce wings front and rear that produce allot of downforce. for example my latest front wing that am designing has a cl/cd of 11 which sounds great but the CL is only 1.6 !!!! yes this is only the first iteration and i need to move my suspension out the way but no matter what i do i just cant get the CL up unless i use a really cambered wing profile but that ruins the rest of the flow to the rest of the car... AGGGHHH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 13:05
I see what Ric means: if you remove the front wing for example (to draw your own), you lose the lower part of the wheel fairings...
Hi Machin, thank you very much. Now I have a clearer idea of what Ric meant.

This is the new (and final I think, only a patch in case of non compliance will be released) version of the introcar "candidate" (I did the best I could do, but I call it "candidate" because I did not have any guideline from the staff, except for the simulations run by LDVH).

As you can see, I added a second sub assembly to the STEP assembly: it includes a simplified version of the car, with everything defined except for the wings, that are completely separated.
It is the easiest way to take part to the MVRC race.

The components of the to version are interchangeable, so you can mix them.

Here is the STEP assembly:

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... 3_STEP.zip

Considering the state of art of the rulebook, I decided to not assign an intro car prize this year, my suggestion is to work on the intro car and make it as fast as possibile for the top class (I think it is fast enough to be near to the podium, just out of the box).

variante

roon wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 06:17
Cool stuff. That CAE Device car looks cool. The JJR car gets all it's cooling air from under the car? Wonder how Team Bart and Variante, with the front radiators, will fare. Variante looks to be blowing the RW. 8)

variante wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 22:34
All right...I realized today that I sent the wrong car. It's a slighly older and not fully legal version (only minor things hopefully).
Anyway, here it is in all its glory, as promised:
https://i.imgur.com/wuPUjVw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hkvBq6t.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SkgT2C8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FHIN4hQ.jpg
Will you experiment with different exhaust height? I wonder how above vs. below RW compares.
Front radiators are super cool! They're very easy to tune (just change the outlet area a bit, for example), and you can also make any change you want to the bodywork (Front Wing, Diffuser, Rear Wing,...) and their performance will remain nearly the same. They don't suffer from rake angles either. The idea for this configuration was pioneered by team TF (where is him? won't he participate this year?), which in turn comes from the Nissan GTR Nismo.
Comes out this solution is very efficient, as it takes advantage of a very draggy area of the car to produce pressure differential across the radiators.

About the exhaust, I think I will experiment with different blowing angles rather than height. Probably I will try to achieve some downwash.
I'm fairly sure that blowing on the low pressure side of the wing is better, but I wouldn't swear.
One thing I really want to try is blowing inside the diffuser!

CAEdevice wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 10:18
variante wrote:

Just to spice up the competition: I decided to evolve the same car since 2015 because losing is even more boring :D
Yeah, let's see who wins this championship... :twisted:

machin wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 13:12
On a different note: due to some unforeseen circumstances I am helping out with the compliance checks (for this round at least), and I must say, I'm really impressed with the cars I'm looking at; the quality is really good. 8) =D>
Please, be a kind god [-o<

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 16:13
CAEdevice wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 10:18
variante wrote:
Yeah, let's see who wins this championship... :twisted:
JJR :)

LVDH

variante wrote:
Please, be a kind god [-o<
Oh, oh, oh. Richard has spotted some things, and during my CAD cleanup, I have as well. The main question is, who will get punished. Two of the top cars are drawing quite some attention...

wpsiatwin

I'm expecting to have a car that doesn't comply somehow, not that id consider it in the top two either, I haven't had much CAD experience and didn't realise how difficult it would be to take a design idea and make it in cad.

machin

A15013950 wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 18:20
I'm expecting to have a car that doesn't comply somehow, not that id consider it in the top two either, I haven't had much CAD experience and didn't realise how difficult it would be to take a design idea and make it in cad.
Well, everyone has to start somewhere... which team are you A15013950?

wpsiatwin

vortex racing, just look for the team at the back...

machin

At least you have a good basis with the CAE Device bodywork...

machin

variante wrote:
The idea for this configuration was pioneered by team TF (where is him? won't he participate this year?), which in turn comes from the Nissan GTR Nismo.
A little while back pretty much all Le Mans Prototypes had front heat exchangers, here the Ferrari 333SP:-