[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

LVDH wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 18:54
So, after quite some technical difficulties, the new MFlow version is up. It is not modified for the Pikes Peak rules, but will be a nice bit faster and is the official version of the last race. It would be cool for a Windows user to confirm if it works.
It works perfectly. I repeated the simulation of the car that I used in Daytona and I noticed that computed drag is a bit higher and convergence requires about more 500 iterations (but the mesher is faster). I like the new plots.

LVDH

Cool, good to know that it works. The new plots are part of the new offscreen rendering functionality. Now people can fully use the software on an HPC environment and only have to send their reports back. I think there was a time when someone was using MFlow on an Amazon system. Whoever that was, should now be very happy. Also the chart legend now has a smart placement, which is cool because in the older version, sometimes the legend would cover the end part of a chart.

Not sure why you need more iterations to converge but the time an iteration takes should be some 20% less.

CAEdevice

I have just completed the modeling of a rear wing compliant with the Pikes Peak rules, it is huge! I guess it will change the flows very much, I will see the results tomorrow morning. The front wing is the original one at the moment, with extended canards.

BlakjeKaas

CAEdevice wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 21:59
I have just completed the modeling of a rear wing compliant with the Pikes Peak rules, it is huge! I guess it will change the flows very much, I will see the results tomorrow morning. The front wing is the original one at the moment, with extended canards.
Don't forget the new diffuser, which could possibly add a load of downforce as well. You may be able to use last years' version with a couple of adjustments..
MVRC: Tulip Racing

Ft5fTL

Feeding that diffuser is the real challenge with the new enlarged front wing area. I'm most certain that the top teams (well my car aswell) gets most of the airflow to diffuser from the side of the car. If i somehow go careless and make a 3-4 element front wing with some dive planes, my car would probably lose around %60 of the rear downforce.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

CAEdevice

Ft5fTL wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 03:49
Feeding that diffuser is the real challenge with the new enlarged front wing area. I'm most certain that the top teams (well my car aswell) gets most of the airflow to diffuser from the side of the car. If i somehow go careless and make a 3-4 element front wing with some dive planes, my car would probably lose around %60 of the rear downforce.
Variante wrote that he uses air from the sides, but with my design, flow from the sides is not an advantage. I prefer to have flow from the high nose (since Daytona it is even higher, but it is not visible from outside: I will publish
a picture later from the office).

A higher diffuser is useful only if I can keep the flow energised (with vortices) inside the full volume of the diffuser. Now I have problems with this and it is the reason Variante and JJR were faster in the recent races.

Update: the high nose of the old and beaten car that raced in Daytona (higher when it joins the body of the car than it may appear in the front view). I used JJR colors to make it faster.

CAEdevice

4 years of development to reach the same concept. It can not be said that MVRC is not realistic.

(It's the car for Pikes Peak, practically the same as Daytona except for the wings)

Alonso Fan

Sadly I won't be submitting a car for pikes peak due to not having sufficient time to update before going away.

I'll see you all for next season, God Willing
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Steven
Owner

Hi all,

We've created a usergroup for all MVRC competitors.
I've added a bunch, but if you're missing, please apply for membership.

memberlist.php?mode=group&g=12

CAEdevice

Steven wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 18:40
Hi all,

Thank you. What does the belonging to a group involve?

Steven
Owner

CAEdevice wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 19:36
Steven wrote:
Hi all,

Suggestions welcome. But we were thinking along the lines of adding a label underneath your usernames, so it's obvious to anyone in the forum that you are in this challenge (meaning you guys know a thing or two about modelling and cfd)

Ft5fTL

Sounds good, thanks.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

CAEdevice

Steven wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 00:04
CAEdevice wrote:
Steven wrote:
Hi all,

Suggestions welcome. But we were thinking along the lines of adding a label underneath your usernames, so it's obvious to anyone in the forum that you are in this challenge (meaning you guys know a thing or two about modelling and cfd)
Thanks for trusting our skills, good idea

Alonso Fan

Steven wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:
Steven wrote:
Hi all,

Some of us don't actually have any skills though...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

Alonso Fan wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 15:27
Steven wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:

Some of us don't actually have any skills though...
You are pessimistic. On the other side, there are people among MVRC partecipants and staff who could do a good job in a real motorsport team (Variante, JJR, Chris, LDVH, Machin ...) and someone else who actually works as a professional aerodynamicist (TF and LDVH as an example).