[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

variante wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 01:05
There we go:
https://i.imgur.com/Gvh7bKA.jpg
(not necessarily the version that i'm going to race)
Pretty cool how you carried over these vortex generators on your front wing from the old Le Mans car, at least from the design perspective. I have to say, I have no clue though what they do on top of such a wing. Are you limiting front wing downforce with them? :wink:

I cannot wait to see all the cars Monday morning. This is always my favorite way to start a week.
And please try to give your submissions meaningful names and no special characters or spaces. It helps me a lot.

machin

...and another (presumably) top car with short rear wing end plates.... I can only guess that since the flow around the rear wheels isn’t aligned fore-aft you guys are finding that the lower portion of the end plate just adds a lot of drag?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

I have found the problem with my STLs! I share the problem in case someone is struggling with a similar issue.

I finally was able to run a complete simulation: the COP is bad but realistic.

That area was considered as matched or separated in a random way (the triangles are not actually matching, but very very near)
Last edited by CAEdevice on 18 Aug 2019, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:53
... just adds a lot of drag?
Yes, you are right

rjsa

Got COP right in the end, cooling and DF falling short. Let’s see what comes out of it. Will post pictures when I pack it.

Ft5fTL

Is late submit still a thing like we had on the prev. seasons?
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

etsmc

So i had a car all put together after a bit of a rush...
gone away for a short break and this guy takes the wrong laptop and the car has not backed up to drop box...
Car is submitted but less hopeful than the last car, i think everything is there and within the rules but lets see.

variante

LVDH wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:41
Pretty cool how you carried over these vortex generators on your front wing from the old Le Mans car, at least from the design perspective. I have to say, I have no clue though what they do on top of such a wing. Are you limiting front wing downforce with them? :wink:
Man, they just look so cool!

No, they actually do something:
1) altough they interfere with the front wing, they also generate some downforce themselves. Now the balance is neutral, but future iterations might make it positive for me.
2) they turn air outwards, moving the front wheel wake away from sensible areas at the back.
3) they generate vortices to (hopefully) keep the laminar flow attached to the wheels for longer, reducing their wake.

jjn9128

etsmc wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:14
gone away for a short break and this guy takes the wrong laptop and the car has not backed up to drop box...
Car is submitted but less hopeful than the last car, i think everything is there and within the rules but lets see.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45cflh9w9un0w ... .png?raw=1
Like your floor leading edge. That's the direction I was planning to go next :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

etsmc

jjn9128 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:41
etsmc wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:14
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45cflh9w9un0w ... .png?raw=1
Like your floor leading edge. That's the direction I was planning to go next :lol:
I think I may take that as a compliment. ..
I have something in the diffuser area that will be interesting to see if it is any good.
It was all done in about 6hrs so no cfd at all so the leadinf edge may be completely pointless.

CAEdevice

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 09:37
I have found the problem with my STLs! I share the problem in case someone is struggling with a similar issue.

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... des_01.jpg

I finally was able to run a complete simulation: the COP is bad but realistic.

That area was considered as matched or separated in a random way (the triangles are not actually matching, but very very near)
I am getting crazy: same car (same stls) with a bit more rear wing but COP completely random (now back to 0,6m).

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 16:51
I am getting crazy: same car (same stls) with a bit more rear wing but COP completely random (now back to 0,6m).
Interesting. I've run 3 different cases now. None seem to be giving odd results on COP (37%/42%/57% front balance - 2.14m/1.97m/1.45m) downforce from the floor is non existent but COP doesn't seem ridiculous.

What's it doing on the time trace? Could it be some instability which is manifesting in the average?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

rjsa

So we will have LH starting from the back in this season. But he will catch up.

wb92

Time was really tight to get things under controlled development, hopefully few big issues should be minimalized, and here we go, reveal of the rookie contender:

I see competition is going to be very tight, for me first season will be to get along with the car and get some nice points. I can only tell that sidepods and bargeboards are very conservative at the moment.

Enjoy!
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 17:08
Could it be some instability which is manifesting in the average?
Yes, I also think that there can be instability, but I can't find a precise area that causes the problem. Maybe the diffuser, but I am guessing.