Home built Arete Supercar

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
JordanMugen

Re: Home built Arete Supercar

hUirEYExbN wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 12:34
There was a series on ... Motors TV (or something like that) back in the UK a couple of decades ago. A guy with limited knowledge attempted to built a sportscar, it never really worked out. I'm getting similar vibes from this.
Why didn't the builder start with a TVR ladder chassis like other British DIY builders?

coaster

His roll structure will connect with the sub frames front and rear, a 3 piece chassis.

coaster

Bump, he has posted at least updates since and do i beleive concerns are very well founded, the A pillar is too close to the drivers head, the engine block is too close to the drivers shoulders, there is no room for a steel brace to follow the A pillar, it will be unbraced fubreglass.
I am of the opinion the drivers head will impact the windshield by minimal foward movement.
This could very well be a deathtrap?

PhillipM

His welding is pretty shocking on top too, what a deathtrap.

Tzk
Tzk

I'm also following this project and my thoughts are mostly the same. I still don't get why he uses plaster inside the chassis and then just laminates over it. Yes it's easier, but quite messy... I also don't get why he won't add a tubular frame between the front and rear subframes and just slides the cabin over it. Would make the whole project so much safer, probably lighter and increase torsional stiffness. Welding doesn't look great either.

I'm still following it, as the design process and thoughts that went into it are decent.