Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Tozza Mazza

Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Hi all,
Since late May, JordanGP and I have been working to design, and model in extensive detail, a 2012 legal F1 car. Our aim was to use only freeware, and as we're both handy with google sketchup, we decided to use it. All renders you see were made using Kerkythea 2008.

As it stands now, 2012 will be the final year of the current aerodynamic regulations, despite the being very succesful in making the sport more exciting. So far there have only been a small number of rule changes confirmed for the 2012 season, but the full list will be published on June 30th.

The most notable and visible of these changes is the restriction on chassis height forward of the cockpit entry template. This is the second of changes introduced by the FIA to help driver visibility by restricting the height of the chassis in front of the driver. The last of these comes in for 2013. This change of regulation, I believe, will see the end of the recent high nose trend (GOOD they're hideous! :lol: ), so for our car we went for a very low nose concept, inspired by cars from the early noughties, and the BGP001. The FIA have limited the chassis height by saying that at 1m forward of the cockpit, the car may be no higher than the cockpit itself.

We wanted the main focus of the car to be attention to detail, so that in future, we could get someone to run CFD on the car, and use the results to go about updating the car. For this reason we used rear aerofoil shapes to design the wings and other bodywork, and followed any FIA homologated part using technical detail (i.e. co-ordinates for the central 500mm of the front wing). Whilst the Front wing is still in its early days, the rear wing has its first iteration completed. The flap is the smallest possible (100mm radius), to reduced the AoA as much as possible. In future we plan to shape the rear wing better, to optimize the DRS system.

Below you can find some images of our car so far. We hope you enjoy looking at them and following the thread as much as we have done designing and modelling the car.

Model has only been autosmoothened, which is why renders look a little bit funny in places.

This car is a work in progress, and will be completed fully at a later date, complying to any future changes in the FIA technical regulations.

Thank you very much for reading :D
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 06 Feb 2012, 22:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added username to destinguish from other projects

ElleMarie

Re: Innovo 2012 F1 Car

Great Work!!! i will check this post for news about the project
^^
Em

Tozza Mazza

Hey Em, welcome to the forum, really glad you liked it. Despite the heavy detail, we're moving at a good pace, and although it will take quite a while to finish, I'm sure the end result will be worth it!

Thanks for the support! :D

N12ck

basically the cars are going to look like BGP001 without a double diffuser and the exhausts exiting in a different place

Great work Tozza and JordanGP
Budding F1 Engineer

Tozza Mazza

Just a short update, kind of a progress update for now.

Ok since last time, we have completed most of the internals. This involves the fuel tank, Engine and gearbox. These aren't modelled perfectly, they are only there to give a rough kind of outline to where these parts would be, so we can model around them.

Work has begun on the first flap of the front wing, it's an incredibly complex part, and modelling it using aerofoil shapes, with the detail we are using takes a considerable amount of time.

The survival cell is now finished, as is the drivers head support.

The splitter has also been developed, and includes an interesting idea, that we'll share with you at a later date (busy right now). We also have a new diffuser, which is still in its early days, after reading the diffuser confusion topic made me rethink the whole diffuser design.

You may also of noticed the front cameras, these were modelled using the appendix to the regulations, but we haven't found a good place for them on the chassis yet, which is why they are where they are right now.

Thanks for reading.

donskar

=D> Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to future posts!
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

timbo

Great work!
Why the floor is so wide?

Tozza Mazza

Thanks. I haven't worked on the floor myself. The floor is 1.4m wide, so 20cm in from the outside of the tyres either side. I would say it's the angle making the floor looking wider than it is.

ajdavison2

Plus it hasn't got sidepods yet, might make the floor look wider

ringo

looks clean.
Nice helmet on the driver too.

You guys make me look like i'm going in reverse.
For Sure!!

Tozza Mazza

Thanks for all this praise. The only part we didn't make was the driver and helmet, as they're complex, difficult to model, and only there to model around for the cockpit. Both were taken from a GP4 mod.

Ofcourse, absolutely everything else you see is modelled from scratch by us.

jordangp

About time we showed you our splitter concept.

The main idea we had was coming up with a method of a legal flexi-splitter idea. This is the concept I came up with; having a 'splitter wing' aerofoil across the length of the splitter, should create downforce at speed, pulling the splitter closer down to the ground, the same way the flexi-splitter did.

On the outside of the splitter, there is a small intake, which widens as it exits, to try and accelerate the airflow under the car to the diffuser.

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your comments and opinions.

Callum

Keep it coming, i love the detail :)

ringo

that wing wont work there. It's too close to the splitter.
It need to be at least 1.5 chord lengths away from the splitter.

Either way, that area of the car is already saturated with static pressure and down-force.

Williams had an interesting splitter last year.
For Sure!!

Tozza Mazza

ringo wrote:that wing wont work there. It's too close to the splitter.
It need to be at least 1.5 chord lengths away from the splitter.

Either way, that area of the car is already saturated with static pressure and down-force.

Williams had an interesting splitter last year.
I suppose that the principal of moments means the further from the pivot the force is, the greater the motion.

We have no access to CFD, so we cannot analyse the car. What exactly is going on at the splitter region of the car?