My F1 Car - WorboysGP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
WorboysGP

My F1 Car - WorboysGP

For 6 Years now I've been interested in Formula 1 and constantly drawing Formula 1 cars on paper. I'm currently at college studying Engineering so I learn about the industry a lot. I'm going to university in a couple of years to study aerodynamics to become a Chief Designer/ Technical Director in Formula 1. I've decided to create one of my drawings on a 3D program called "Google Sketchup" and render my model in "Kerkythea"

I joined this Designing Championship call F1 Game which is ran by some amazing people, what you do is build and design your own Formula 1 car in "Google Sketchup" and then compete with other teams. http://www.f1game.tk - go check out the site and join if your interested, there's space for the 2012 season.

So here's my car, its all legal to the 2012 F1 Regulations, enjoy! (Please give feedback, I'm interested to what you guys think! Feel free to give your suggestions) By the way whatever part is Black is what I was most recetnly working on, thanks

ced381

Re: My F1 Car - WorboysGP

Great job! I really really like the low nose, it's something I miss a lot from the 90's.
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

WorboysGP

So Today i've been working on a new cockpit, nose cone, side-pods and gearbox.

Cockpit - I found that the previous cockpit had a curve before the nose cone cam into place.

Nose Cone - New nose, the regulations state that there's a limit to how low you could go with your nose so I decided to go with a Ferrari F150 style.

More Pictures will come Tomorrow, Don't forget to give me some feedback! Cheers Guys!

Neno

Interesting. I curious what shape will have rear wing, high like red bull rb7, or low like renault r26 :wink: for now i like this shape of the car, it's seems that car have long wheelbase, that is good for aerodynamic :mrgreen: you can more explore with car (maybe double floor?)

HampusA

STR mixed with Mclaren sidepods :) That would look cool.
The truth will come out...

WorboysGP

@HampusA
That's what I thought of designing, the McLaren side-pods I'm currently designing to replace my Ferrari F150 ones

wesley123

compared to other F1 cars your fwep is really lakcing footplate area.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

jordangp

Mclaren & Double floor together would not work, its a packaging nightmare.

@Neno It will be a high wing, because that's what current regulations state

jordangp

Is there a pick from below? because from the angles given it looks as if there isn't a step at all between the step plane and reference plane :/

N12ck

jordangp wrote:Is there a pick from below? because from the angles given it looks as if there isn't a step at all between the step plane and reference plane :/
when I was making my car I made that mistake, and the step plane and reference plane I made to be the same, and no plank, which messed up every measurement on the car.
:x
Budding F1 Engineer

N12ck

By the way, how did you design the crash structure?
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

when I was making my car I made that mistake, and the step plane and reference plane I made to be the same, and no plank, which messed up every measurement on the car.
Yeah, it's really important to make sure you've got that done correctly, and the radius rules are a little tricky also for the step itself. Most measurements are taken from the reference plane, but making sure there is difference between the step plane and reference plane is important.

N12ck

jordangp,,, how do you design a crash structure, where are the dimensions?
Budding F1 Engineer